• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road

A really terrible early photo (C1875) of the previous Mermaid Hotel at the junction of Stratford Road and Warwick Road.

Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Mermaid 1875.jpg

Last edited:
There appears to be some 'hangings' in most of the windows (post 200) and a couple of exterior signs (which I cannot identify). It suggests, to me, that it might be Coronation Year, 1953. But as, Phil points out anytime prior to 1950, so it could be Coronation Year 1937! :D

Alan

It could be either but I would plump for the earlier date, it's a pity it's not a better image.

This parade of shops were at the bottom of Greets Hill Stratford Road at the junction of Sarehole Road, they still survive today, though I think only one of them is an actual retail shop.

Hall Green Stratford Rd - Sarehole Rd (2).jpg

Modern traffic lights from the College Arms junction from the no 1 bus on Shaftmoor Lane.

Also The College Arms.

Stratford Road, Sparkhill, and Castleford Road on the right. Unfortunately no date.
stratfordrdsparkhill.jpg
Google's view of it today ...
StratfordSparkhill.jpg

Last edited:
The older photo looks like the mid to late 1920's, a pity we can't read the newspaper board (if that is what is is). The Mill (or is it Hill?) School sign might help us.

The older photo looks like the mid to late 1920's, a pity we can't read the newspaper board (if that is what is is). The Mill (or is it Hill?) School sign might help us.

I can tell you it was sometime between 1920 & 1930 because in 1920 534 Stratford Road near to the junction of Castleford Road was Miss Ada Ellis Private School and the school was in the Ellis family back before 1900. Sometime between 1920 and 1930 it changed to Woodleys House Furnishers. As they were there until at least WW2 it has to be between 1920/30.

The George & Dragon public house stood at the junction of Stratford Road and Blacford Road in Shirley from around 1912 until it was demolished towards the end of the 1980's to mame way for a Calendars Restaurant which after a few short years (nowhere as near as many as The George & Dragons 70 odd) itself gave way to a tile & bathroom showroom. Neither of which in my opinion having anywhere near the architectural merit or gave a worthwile service to the local community.

Shirley Stratford Rd George and Dragon.jpg

I remember it well - from the outside that is as I was too young to drink. I went to school just down Stratford Road from there so passed it every day until I left primary school in 1964.

Regarding first photo in #205; originally what was Sparkhill Congregational Church in the background and now a curry centre. At least the main structure of the church has been maintained. Travelling just past College Road on the Stratford Road, travelling towards town, there was a parade of shops on the left that started with a newsagent and finished with the Municipal Bank. Was it called Springfield Parade and do we have any photos (old or new)? Thanks. Dave.

If you mean Hall Green Parade. The shops are still there. Mostly Asian restaurants, takeaways and small supermarkets now. Plus pharmacies.

On the two petrol station sites: near Hall Green Station is now a Tesco Express, Greggs, Barnardo's and a barber shop. A new petrol station recently opened on the other site derelict for a decade, Apple Green with a Costa.

I think farmerdave means the row of shops that ran from Springfield Road along the Stratford Road to Springfield Road.

This is a capture from Google Earth as I don't have an aged photo of this scene.

springfield.JPG

Thanks Phil. Those are the ones I was referring to. In your photograph they run from Springfield Road almost to College Road. A Birmingham Municipal Bank was situated where Lloyds Bank is seen now. I held my first (paltry) savings there. Dave.

Dave,

I lived in Knowle Road, just a hundred yards or so away, for the whole of the 1940s, and attended College Road Infants and Juniors, yet can only ever remember entering one of those shops once and I can't even remember what it sold! Did one of them sell newspapers? As a young boy, I regarded that row of shops as being of no interest at all and my memory of the Stratford Road shops was mainly in the shops on the opposite side between that point and Formans Road. I can remember a Wimbush shop that sold my favourite cream buns (not real cream), a Wrensons, a gardening shop (Woollards or some such name), a decorating shop (possibly Decorwall), a drysalters (they don't exist anywhere these days), Hedges (pharmacist) and almost at Formans Road, a British Restaurant. Was there a clinic on the opposite side on the bend at Springfield Road?

On the opposite side, just before Oakwood Road (possibly on the corner) was a greengrocers that we used a lot. And that's about my memories of the shops at that age. I still find most shopping really boring!

Maurice :)

Maurice

A No 17 tram at the Hall Green terminus on the city boundary. The route was extended to this terminus in April 1928 and this pic was probably taken soon after that date. The trams services on the Stratford Road were replaced by buses in January 1937.
HallGreenTramTerminus.jpg

Well what a lot of memories. I was born and bred in Tillingham Street, off Ladypool Road, just before Highgate Road and lived there until 1961 when I took a 10pound cruise to Australia and have been here ever since.
I went to Stratford Road School, first in the Nursery School as Mom was running a works canteen during the war and Dad was in the AFS, fire service.
I then went to Golden Hillock Secondary School before escaping to Handsworth Technical School 1952-1954.
I also attended St. Agatha's Church of England (Next door to the school) for Sunday School, Boy Scouts, Church Lads Brigade, and Youth Club at which I learnt to dance, had some beautiful girl friends.
I worked at a hardware shop at Camphill. Thos Whitecross, whilst waiting National Service call up. I volunteered for 9 years with The Royal Artillery but failed the medical.
I had a part time job at a tailors on Sparkhill whilst at the Tech, after school each weekday and Saturday mornings, I think it must have worked out at about a bit over a shilling per hour. This included serving in the shop, deliverers, and a bit of tidying up and cleaning in the slack times.
I was an ABC Junior at the Piccadilly picture house, played on the bombsites.
Well that's it for now as it's past my dinner time, but will call back if and when I get inspiration.

Well what a lot of memories. I was born and bred in Tillingham Street, off Ladypool Road, just before Highgate Road and lived there until 1961 when I took a 10pound cruise to Australia and have been here ever since.
I went to Stratford Road School, first in the Nursery School as Mom was running a works canteen during the war and Dad was in the AFS, fire service.
I then went to Golden Hillock Secondary School before escaping to Handsworth Technical School 1952-1954.
I also attended St. Agatha's Church of England (Next door to the school) for Sunday School, Boy Scouts, Church Lads Brigade, and Youth Club at which I learnt to dance, had some beautiful girl friends.
I worked at a hardware shop at Camphill. Thos Whitecross, whilst waiting National Service call up. I volunteered for 9 years with The Royal Artillery but failed the medical.
I had a part time job at a tailors on Sparkhill whilst at the Tech, after school each weekday and Saturday mornings, I think it must have worked out at about a bit over a shilling per hour. This included serving in the shop, deliverers, and a bit of tidying up and cleaning in the slack times.
I was an ABC Junior at the Piccadilly picture house, played on the bombsites.
Well that's it for now as it's past my dinner time, but will call back if and when I get inspiration.

Hi Tim

I know this is an old post but I hope you are still on the Forum? Just wondering if you remember a Mr Horace Harward who lived at 40 Tillingham STreet. His wife, Bertha, had sadly passed away in 1943. They had a daughter, Dorothy, who lived with her father until he passed away in 1963.

Long shot, I know, but I would love to hear if you have any memories. Dorothy died in 2008 and was my first cousin twice removed.

Best wishes

ALexander

A No 17 tram at the Hall Green terminus on the city boundary. The route was extended to this terminus in April 1928 and this pic was probably taken soon after that date. The trams services on the Stratford Road were replaced by buses in January 1937.
View attachment 127309
Route 17 was from High Street. Car 653 would only be a few years old, if the date suggested is correct, but would remain in service until system closure in 1953.

Back