• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stratford Road

Here's another interesting photo of Stratford Road in Sparkhill …. looking away from town, showing the scene outside the Council House. The wonderful lampposts are outside the main entrance, which later became the library entrance. . Dated as c1910.Sparkhill Stratford Road (from Court Road junction) c1910.jpg

Back down in Sparkbrook again and one of the most awkward junctions on the whole of the Stratford Road. It's the long gone Stoney Lane junction, where if you were taking the inner circle number eight route at the junction of Highgate Road and Stoney Lane it was a sharp left and then a sharp right on to Stratford Road and then another sharp left on to Walford Road. All within a few yards of each turn. They finally cut a new piece of road from Highgate road across Stoney lane to opposite Walford Road n the early 60's and did away with all the congestion caused by this junction.

Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Stoney Lane.jpg

Last edited:
Post 263 is here on BHF somewhere, possibly in old street pics. Comments were made about the buses and in particular about the BCT cyclist.

Going back to the image of the lamp posts outside what was then Sparkhill Council House. Here is another image showing the lamp posts outside the main entrance of the Council House which gives a much better view.

Sparkhill Stratford Road Council House..jpg

They look like the lamp posts seen in may of the older photos on BHF. I must say the old gas lamp posts and lanterns always appear far more elegant the their electric replacements.

Post 263 is here on BHF somewhere, possibly in old street pics. Comments were made about the buses and in particular about the BCT cyclist.
The motorised cyclist is a regular on the BHF and first appeared on the forum here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-street-pics.38737/post-430265
then here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ught-in-our-old-street-pics.41947/post-494455
then something happened to him here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/hobbies.46731/post-606341
but no comments about buses ...:grinning:

I did realise that the image at #263 had been posted to the forum previously, but it was the best one showing the horrible junction that used to be at the end of Stoney Lane.

I thought I did, especially with that AEC Regent on the 31A. However, maybe the cyclist got my attention. :D
The appearance of the cyclist, in two separate districts of the city, does draw attention to the fact that all on the internet may be not what it seems. :eek:

I did realise that the image at #263 had been posted to the forum previously, but it was the best one showing the horrible junction that used to be at the end of Stoney Lane.
Even in 1953 that junction caused tail backs of vehicles, during the rush hour, in both directions of the Stratford Road. Often there was a police constable controlling the junction, other times the traffic signals.

Last edited:
Another view of the same junction where it looks like work has started cutting Highgate Road through to Stratford Road, you can just see that some of the buildings have been demolished in readiness to the left of the photo. According to the information with the photo it was as late as 1967 before this new section of Highgate road was in use, that does surprise me as I thought it was earlier.

Sparkbrook Stratford Rd - Walford Rd (2).JPG

Does anybody have information on Castell's shop on the Stratford Road between Springfield Road and Formans Road? It may have been a jewellers and it certainly sold and repaired watches. It was located on the right hand side going in towards town. Not sure whether it would come under Springfield or Sparkhill. In January 1963 I took my watch into Castells as it needed to be repaired/cleaned. Collected it 2 days later at a cost of 8s6d. I've had a digital watch now for over 20 years and all it has needed is for the battery to be replaced every 18 months to two years. Dave.

Farmerdave

A.R.Castell Jeweller 824 Stratford Road, Sparkhill. All I can tell you is it's no longer a jewellers shop and like most retail outlets along that stretch of road it now seems to be some sort of a continental fast food outlet.

A few images of Stratford Road. Viv.

C1900
View attachment 129739

Not heard of the “Metropolitan of England Bank” (to the right) in this one.
View attachment 129737

View attachment 129738

View attachment 129736

View attachment 129740
The photograph that includes the "Metropolitan Bank" has a number of buildings next to the bank at an angle. These were demolished and a cinema built on the site called the Picturedrome which opened in 1912. So that dates the photograph as pre-1912. The Picturedrome was demolished in 1929 and the Piccadilly Cinema was built further back on an enlarged site. This opened in 1930. It was closed in 1974 and the building still stands. It has variously been a bingo club (twice), an Asian cinema, a banqueting hall and is now an Asian cinema again. Incidentally the bank building is still there with shops on the ground floor.

This is a photograph of the Picturedrome.
Picturedrome.jpg

And this is the Piccadilly and the old bank building in 2018:
Piccadilly Cinema & Metroplitan bank building - 2018.jpg

I lived in Sparkhill 1935-1961,Saturday night was always a good night in the 50s at Catswell barracks. Like many of the dance halls at that time the night always ended with a good old rough and tumble. Not to violent but always over a young lady. No drink was served in the dances those days, you had to get a pass out and walk up the road to the Tree Horse Shoes pub.The Picadilly cinema was also a meeting place for the young on a Sunday night. On some special nights dancing was held at the Mermaid pub.Icould name loads of the shops along the Stratford Rd,but the one i used if i could afford it was Eric Willmots the sports shop on the corner of Green Rd just along from the Rialto cinema. You could get the used tennis balls they used at Wimbledon for 6d each. Icould go on but i will close now and see what others come up with but i may be back latter.
Willmotts was on the corner of Cubley Road, not Green Road.

My recollections, such as they are, relate to the ten year period 1944 until 1954. They are from the eyes of what was, at the time, a young boy so the memories are only of prominent or noteable places. They are not strictly in any relevant order of travel.

From Camp Hill travelling south took you beneath the large railway arch (LMS?). Vale-Onslow motor cycles then followed. Smiths Coaches depot, a used car lot (post 1948?). The whole road to Hall Green was populated by many shops with accommodation above. Some were privately own, other areas had major retailers. Bata (shoes) comes to mind near Stoney Lane. Stoney Lane/Formans Road junction ws a busy place. The Inner Circle 8 route crossed here and the Warstock 24 and 13A routes joined Stratford Road. Bus routes to Acocks Green 44/44A and the 30/31A and 32 ran out from the city as far as The Mermaid then followed the Warwick Road. The 37 route ran up to the city boundary; the 29 left Stratford Road turning into Highfield Road, the 29A had already taken a separate route following Springfield Road. The Midland Red had good services:150/153/154/179 and some others on the Warwick Road. A couple of churches, at least, (mentioned in the Forum), The Mermaid Hotel (already mentioned), Sparkhill Baths, a park adjacent to the baths, Rialto Cinema, Spring Road GWR railway station, the very large Fox Hollies roundabout with Co-Operative shops (BCS).
Being young shops were of passing interest but a bakers, opposite the Mermaid Hotel, is remembered : was it Hardings? It had a distinctive Hovis advert on the wall.
During WW2, but I am not sure how frequent this occurred, vehicles were stopped and bus passengers checked and had to show identity cards to the police at the Robin Hood roundabout when entering the city boundary. Once over the city boundary there was a short run of fields until the Solihull district of Shirley was entered.

I remember queuing, at Christmastide, at a Wine and Spirit shop close to the Robin Hood island. Queuing, was of course, a necessity for most housewives, during those difficult times of shortages.
Just a couple of notes. The GWR station was Hall Green (not Spring Road), and the large traffic roundabout was the Robin Hood (not Fox Hollies).

Yes, I did reference the Robin Hood island in the last paragraph as it happens. There is an ex GWR Station called Spring Road, it is the first port of call from Tysely. It has has had some name changes, such as Platform and Halt, over time but that Is the one I meant. It was easier to access than Hall Green and did not have goods facilities which made Hall Green too busy for my linking.

Re #277. The 31A and 32 bus routes did not leave the Stratford Road, south-bound, at the Mermaid. The 31A turned off at the College Arms into Shaftmoor Lane and headed for Acocks Green. The 32 certainly continued as far as Hall Green Parade and then went on to Gospel Lane. Dave.

Correct re the 31A and 32. Lapsus memoriae I'm afraid.It was a long time ago really - some sixty plus years. Two bus routes I never rode, should have because I was curious about 'the loop' :laughing:

Back