• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stratford Road horse tram depot

Lloyd

master brummie
I only spotted today a tram depot I never knew existed, between Sturge Street (now St Johns Road) and Jenny's lane (Now Baker Street), Stratford Road. The site was later taken by the Salvation Army chapel, now called Lighthouse Chapel. (give the link a minute or so to open street level view).
Note also the two large houses, "The Chains" and "Sparkhill Villa".

I only spotted today a tram depot I never knew existed, between Sturge Street (now St Johns Road) and Jenny's lane (Now Baker Street), Stratford Road. The site was later taken by the Salvation Army chapel, now called Lighthouse Chapel. (give the link a minute or so to open street level view).

There is Mention of it in the 1888 directory as Birmingham Central Tramways Co Limited Depot the last mention I can find is in the 1906 directory it then became a bike repair shop? and then after that the Sally Army Hall I will try to get a photo though I suspect it is not the originall building ? I will know if there is a date that the building was first built I have enclosed a scan from the 1888 directory it does list the depots

There is Mention of it in the 1888 directory as Birmingham Central Tramways Co Limited Depot the last mention I can find is in the 1906 directory it then became a bike repair shop? and then after that the Sally Army Hall I will try to get a photo though I suspect it is not the originall building ? I will know if there is a date that the building was first built I have enclosed a scan from the 1888 directory it does list the depots

When I was a lad, I walked past this little gem every day in the 50's & 60's, it was indeed the Sally Army Church. The No. 36 bus stop was directly in front, it does not look big enough to be a tram shed, although I never actualy went insde, darn it !! But thanks for the memory Lloyd. Wonder why they changed all the street names?

Hi
By the look of the map, it was where the Antelope Pub is, thats on the corner of Baker street

The Salvation Army Chapel is in the Middle of the shops between St Johns Road and Baker Street now

Jackie

I have done a very quick bit research and found the following about the Butlin depot and the Parker St depot

Back