• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stour Street

HI LLOYED
Nice to hear from you again after all this tme ; just picking up omn your thread regarding the memoy family and certainly charles ; in 190os;
i have every reason that this the same family it could have been charles being his father as i truly beleive his name was joe;
and thinking the disapearing of his name for a couple of years because he was locked up for crime as he had a ong spell of being in and out of prison ; i beleive as it went in those days most of the guys refered to him as convict 49 ; taken from an old dixon of dock green programes
but i know personaly that he did alot of time in jails and his sibbling was a young lad was called anthony we all called him tony ;
whom got killed on his motor bike in watery lane out side the old pub his girl friend he was taking home she survived but he died instanly ;
the brotheres and sister are still alive today i beleive they are around sixty years old now the onegirl and the two brothers was joe named after his father and young steven ; they both got married one to branston an one of the famly joe married a girl from wain wright stret aston ;
but i know they was there in the fiftys at stour street ; i i think the mother was ireene or irlene a little woman and she wore glasses i went to school with them and spent time with them in there little old fashioned house in stour street astonian

Glad you like it Amanda, as I sort through my stuff I may find another one. If I do I will post it.

Ive copied it and put it in my folder, my great-great nan died in stour street in 1924, but her daughter and husband stayed in that house, up until about 1940 so theres a chance that my great Nan and Grandad are in that picture :eek:) Theres no one alive to recognise them sadly, but I'm delighted to see all of the houses. xx
Thanks again, made my day !!

Now you are getting too technical for me Amanda, I do not know that much about these things and if the picture does not tell me I am stuck, but in this case I do think you are correct.
We do have some real wizards on here and someone will tell you all about it no doubt.

Hi amanda;
nice to hear of you leaning fast about stour street ;here is abit more info; on the area ;as i have said the house would be cope street end; judging the celebrations picture that make me correct on the different systle house at the time
regarding no 4 end which would be close on the corner next to the shop
on the subject of cope streethere is abit of info which would be there when your relies was there ;
this is how it became cope st ;
a john cope was one of the first street commissioners in 1769 whilst in 1813, charles and john cope were elected governors
of king edward,s school.
Charles was a brass fouder and caster in generalin john street, and john charles as millitarycabinet andcoach brass founders
in fleet street. John had a house on hagley row [ now hagley rd ] and summer hill terrace, close to spring hill
and spring hill passage and stour street and of course the name cope street
i did know of a family of copes lived around the back stret that backs on to stour street houses
we all went to steward stret and billy was the star of the film that they made about the area of kids
the film produceers came to the junior and infant stret schol as i said wich was on the corner of the passage
there was a gang ofthe kids from the stret that made the film about the hard days of growing up in the street
and also alan coughman was second lead in the film about gang war fare and about the poor stannds of life and how they had to make a good time and cheek neibours for fun how they ran wild day and night through all those nick nak alley ways from stour stret out in cope street and springfield st it waslike an old london film from the thirtys if anybody recalls it called the dead endkids of east london it was filmed and played on the bbc one night
and it was about one lad wanted to better himself from rags to riches if you like ; and got out of the area and turn to the church and found happiness ;in the church and hejoined the church ;
it was a goood film around yourrelies time the old chief fire officiers family lived closed byehe was mr mosedale ;
birmingham city chief fire officier and his family lived there
as i have said i knew the copes family [ billy ] and i also knew albert mosedale from our young age ;
he used to be on this forum many years ago ; i have been in touch with the young albert mosedale about 12 months ago as we go back years from springfield street and how surprizing what a small world it is my wife his the school friend of his wife today whom also have been intouch by email to each other now wthough howstrange his that two couples can together and later we are all friends
i asked albert if he knew thw name of the film but he cannot remember the titlebut he told me it was basedon alan becoming a choir boy ; ablbert lived in the big open yard directly behind your relies ; [ its a small world amanda]
have a nice day alan ;; astonian ;;;;

stourstreetplan.jpg

Here's the top end of Stour Street with house numbers added based on checking with the 1891 and 1901 census schedules. At that time the front house numbering only went up to 54, plus the rear courts, there were few properties on the north side of the street. You can see here the passageways leading onto the courts, with 4 properties in each court. So for instance, my father was born in 2 Back of 34, which is in Court 11.

Hi lloyed
many thanks for your check on the rolls i can confirm that they are the same mr and mrs memory of stour street
i was friend with the family and grew up with the brothers ;and the sisters

Hi Just been reading all these post's about Stour St.Im trying to find out if my parents lived in this St.There names where HAROLD FLOYD And ROSE FLOYD.Our could it have been my grandparents ARTHUR ERNEST LAGOE And CATHERINE KATE LAGOE Thank's Irene.

Last edited:
From the online electoral rolls:

Arthur Ernest Lagoe was at house 13 court 5 Lennox Street 1925-35, then 49 Bendall Road 1945-55.

Harold and Rose Floyd were at 7 back 108 Trevor Street 1955-60.

Harold Floyd (with Arthur and Florence Floyd) was at 13 Ivy Avenue, Chesterton Road in 1935 & 1939, joined the latter year by Leslie Floyd.

Floyd or Lagoe aren't listed in Stour Street.

Hi lIOYED
There was a Floyed and lagoe living in stour street around 1057-58 period and they lived afew doors from the charlie and elibeth memory as
i recall and they lived by the shop and whitehouse,s [ joy whitehouse ] i beleive she was the daughter to the shop keeper whom kept a big re jagg out side the shop on cope street which was the corner of stour street ;
best wishs astonian;; alan;;

Thanks Alan, my info only went up to 1955 (so collected 1954), they must have come in just after that.

Back