• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stonebridge Hotel

The Stone Bridge Hotel, now demolished. Len.

Attachments

• Stonebridge Hotel .jpg
    Stonebridge Hotel .jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
hi folks i am absolutely delighted to have received this photo showing george henry and maud doyle who raised my grandmother from the age of 8 months old after her parents both died just one day apart in 1908 leaving 3 young orphan sisters...they are not related at all to our family which makes them even more special for taking in a friends child and raising her as their own(the other two sisters were taken in by family)...if anyone can help with he location of this pic i would be most grateful but i fear it may be a hard nut to crack...i can make out on the sign above the door on the left the word hotel and of course the larger letters ACU (no idea what they stand for)

thanks for any help on this one folks..

lyn

Donovan_-_John_(Roberts)_with_sisters_Lily_and_Maud_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Splendid picture, I bet you dead pleased having that. I think the ACU sign is Auto Cyclists Union, they may actually be still going.

There were a couple of clubs similar to this, they used to arrange touring events, and formed affiliations with hotels and cafe’s so the members know they would be welcomed.

hi morturn and thanks for that info i will see what i can find out about ACU..yes i am so chuffed to have got this one...although maud died not long after our dad was born in 1929 he still talks about his step grandad george doyle (died 1949) who he remembers with great fondness...cant wait to show him this pic..

Just a thought - could that be an entrance to a railway station;maybe? Looking above the right hand door there appears to be a Licensee's name.

morning bernie..yes i noticed a licensees name as well and it says hotel underneath ACU but i cant make out the words either side of hotel..i thought if i could find out the location i could pass the info onto the roberts family who sent this pic..possable weighing machine at the entrance.

through the window i can also make out one person sitting down and another standing up...poss wearing a policemans helmet or a hat of some sort..maybe a railway porter with one of those shades that is worn just above the eyes..very difficult to be precise but i am just happy to have the pic...

lyn

Or maybe a Postman?

Not sure why the double posts but will sort that out once I am sure it has settled down.

i wondered about the double posts bernie....the auto cycle club was formed in 1903 changing its name to the auto cycle union in 1907 so we know the pic was taken after this date at least..

I think it's outside the Stonebridge Hotel, this photo shows the complete building. Note the right end of the portico and compare it with the photo in question. In my photo it even looks if there is a meeting of the cycle club occurring. The Stonebridge Hotel was much favoured for wedding receptions.

Attachments

• Stonebridge Hotel .jpg
    Stonebridge Hotel .jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 67
oh wow phil how on earth did you do that...no doubt about it...if you look closely at your pic you can see what i thought was weighing scales at the entrance...you can also see them in my pic...well done phil..i wonder if its still there and actually where was it....must find out...

lyn

Last edited:
carol i am delighted...maud doyle was formally maud roberts and it was a member of the roberts family living in canada that contacted my cousin who is also doing a bit of family research and sent her this pic..im struggling a bit though as to where the stonebridge hotel was or still is..cant be sure if it was even in birmingham at the min but i would have thought so..think ive heard of a stonebridge island..

lyn

Lyn, it does look very much like the Stonebridge Hotel, which was situated where the Stonebridge island is now. I can just about remember it, but it was demolished many years ago for road improvements. There is Stonebridge pub on the opposite side of the island to where the original hotel stood.

Lyn

Although I never went inside the place myself and if I ever got that far outside Birmingham when I was younger I would have thought I was on holiday. The Stonebridge stood approximately where I have marked in red on the map the location today so you can compare it with the old map noting the exact location. I have also added a photo of the river Blythe at the location as it looks today.

Attachments

• Stonebridge.JPG
    Stonebridge.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Stonebridge Hotel.JPG
    Stonebridge Hotel.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Stonebrook.JPG
    Stonebrook.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 38
phil this is marvelous thank you...i can now get all this info and maps passed onto the roberts family in canada...so the hotel is no longer there what a shame it looked lovely..would that have been classed as outside brum phil..what was the exact area know as.....you know me with directions lol..

cheers phil really appreciate this...

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn, it does look very much like the Stonebridge Hotel, which was situated where the Stonebridge island is now. I can just about remember it, but it was demolished many years ago for road improvements. There is Stonebridge pub on the opposite side of the island to where the original hotel stood.

thanks sylv...gutted that it was demolished but not surprised...

lyn

Stonebridge Hotel.jpg

Hi I have had a very quick play merging both images just to see how it would look, hope you don't mind; I think it looks ok,

morturn thats fantastic...i shall take a copy of that one as well...

thank you

lyn

I would say it is definatley the Stonebridge. The weighing scales are in both pics and the doorbell is in the same position as picture 1. The Stonebridge was demolished years ago and the pub that is there now used to be the Malt Shovel I think and now a Harvester I believe.

Terry

phil this is marvelous thank you...i can now get all this info and maps passed onto the roberts family in canada...so the hotel is no longer there what a shame it looked lovely..would that have been classed as outside brum phil..what was the exact area know as.....you know me with directions lol..

cheers phil really appreciate this...

lyn

Lyn

It was on the Coventry Rd (A45) past where the airport is now you came to a road junction with a traffic island on your left was the Chester Rd on your right was the Kenilworth rd (A452) on the left hand side of the island was the Malt Shovel and diagonally opposite on the right corner was the Stonebridge Hotel. I think if it were around today it would have a Coventry postcode. So officially it was outside Birmingham.

stonebridge_hotel.jpgsmashing photo dennis i have seen it before....also posted this on a couple of years ago not sure if you saw it...taken outside the stonebridge and is of george henry and maud doyle at the front and mauds rellies at the back...george and maud took in my grandmother at the age of 8 months after both of her parents died one day apart in 1908...the other 2 children went to rellies...will always be grateful to them as it would have been so easy for those children to have ended up in the workhouse system or homes....because of them my nan had a wonderful upbringing...

View attachment 95130smashing photo dennis i have seen it before....also posted this on a couple of years ago not sure if you saw it...taken outside the stonebridge and is of george henry and maud doyle at the front and mauds rellies at the back...george and maud took in my grandmother at the age of 8 months after both of her parents died one day apart in 1908...the other 2 children went to rellies...will always be grateful to them as it would have been so easy for those children to have ended up in the workhouse system or homes....because of them my nan had a wonderful upbringing...

Lovely story Lyn...makes these images seem real!

Back