• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stokes, Henry and Leonard

IsabelM

proper brummie kid
Hi I am looking for information on Henry and Leonard Stokes, twins, born 1926 in Birmingham they had a sister Maud and lived in Ladywood.

Last edited:
Sons of Edward Stokes and Alice Stevenson (m1917).

Leonard Maitland Stokes death registered Oct 1992, Bham. Possibly married Lilian R Shattock in 1951 and had 2 daughters.

Henry (Arthur?) Stokes not as certain. Death possibly registered Jun qtr, Alton Hampshire. Possibly married Yolanda Mori in 1951 and had 1 son.

A sister, Maud was born 1920.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes i have the same info on Laonard and Maud but not sure if the Henry you mention is the same.....I could not find his death cert on Ancestry.

Sorry, missed off the year which was 2007. Not sure what year Ancestry goes to but it's listed on the GRO site.

Birth year is listed as 1926 and there is another Henry A Stokes born that year in Wolverhampton so it could be him.

Henry and Yolanda were living in Bham before moving to Hampshire.

Sorry, missed off the year which was 2007. Not sure what year Ancestry goes to but it's listed on the GRO site.

Birth year is listed as 1926 and there is another Henry A Stokes born that year in Wolverhampton so it could be him.

Henry and Yolanda were living in Bham before moving to Hampshire.
How did you find that out ?

The twins were born 10th September 1926.

2002 electoral for B 32 has both Henry and Yolanda in Birmingham
on 2003/4 for Alton Hampshire has just Yolanda, 60 Willow court, Ackender road, Alton
She died later in 2004.
Willow court is made up of retirement properties and number 60 was sold early in 2005.

Last edited:
The twins were born 10th September 1926.

2002 electoral for B 32 has both Henry and Yolanda in Birmingham
on 2003/4 for Alton Hampshire has just Yolanda, 60 Willow court, Ackender road, Alton
She died later in 2004.
Willow court is made up of retirement properties and number 60 was sold early in 2005.
That is very interesting........Thank you for the information

Sons of Edward Stokes and Alice Stevenson (m1917).

Leonard Maitland Stokes death registered Oct 1992, Bham. Possibly married Lilian R Shattock in 1951 and had 2 daughters.

Henry (Arthur?) Stokes not as certain. Death possibly registered Jun qtr, Alton Hampshire. Possibly married Yolanda Mori in 1951 and had 1 son.

A sister, Maud was born 1920.
Would you have more information on the possible son ?

The Stokes/Mori son was Stephen J, registered 1953 in Bham.

However if you think that your Henry Stokes is still alive then he won't be any interest to you because the father of Stephen J is more than likely dead.

However if you think that your Henry Stokes is still alive then he won't be any interest to you because the father of Stephen J is more than likely dead.
That's the thing I thought he was but information gathered here seems to suggest otherwise or they are two different Henry stokes.... But I thought that maybe through his son one could find out.

There is no way to tell from what's been found if the Henry Stokes that married Yolanda Mori is the twin of Leonard or the one born in Wolverhampton.

Options would be to wait for the death record to be on Ancestry or another site which would give dob, purchase the marriage certificate which will list father's name or purchase the death certificate which again will give dob.

If he's not a close relation I would just wait. Buying certificates can become expensive.

Ok ignore all that looking again the Stokes in Wolverhampton is a Harry A not Henry A (sorry, my mistake) and he dies in 1998.

So it's more likely that the Henry A Stokes that marries Yolanda Mori is the correct one.

I am not sure if he is still alive. Just thought that there might be a slight chance because the cencus records are blacked out but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Ok ignore all that looking again the Stokes in Wolverhampton is a Harry A not Henry A (sorry, my mistake) and he dies in 1998.

So it's more likely that the Henry A Stokes that marries Yolanda Mori is the correct one.
That is so intriguing.....I tried to find information on the son but no avail.....

Unfortunately when you get to more recent times there are fewer records available and information is best gathered through relatives.

Not only that but in this instance there is another Stephen J Stokes registered in Bham in 1953, so even if you were to find later records there would be no way to tell which one they belong to if either.

Back