• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stokes Family - relatives of Frederick Stokes

ishouldcoco

Brummie babby
My maternal grandfather was Frederick Stokes, who was born in about 1890 - see 1891 census below. He was a publican and manager of the The Albion, now named The Old Contemptibles, from about 1930 - 1945. He had three brothers and I am looking for any descendants of the Stokes family, and any information about their history prior to 1890. Many thanks.

House Number House or Street Name

24 Court 1 House, Grosvenor Street West

Details of each person in the dwelling

Surname Forenames Relationship Marital Status Sex Age Occupation Birth County Birth Place Disability Notes

STOKES Walter H Head M M 35 Saw Maker (Em'ee) WAR Birmingham

STOKES Mary A Wife M F 31 WAR Birmingham

STOKES Harry H Son - M 6 Scholar WAR Birmingham

STOKES Frank S Son - M 4 Scholar WAR Birmingham

STOKES Arthur Son - M 2 WAR Birmingham

STOKES Frederick Son - M 10m WAR Birmingham

Harry H is Harry Archibald, he appears to marry a Sarah Turley and had as many as 6 children - Harry b1908, Edith M b1912, Fred b1915, Raymond b1917, Jack b1922 & Kenneth b1926.

Frank S is Frank Samuel, he appears to marry a Lily Jones and has at least 2 children Frank William b1915 & Lilian Ivy Doidge b1920.

With no middle name Arthur is a little more tricky.

Walter H is Walter Harry, who appears to be the son of Samuel Breadnee Stokes and Ann Rhodes.

Mary H is Mary Hannah Holloway, who appears to be the daughter of Charles Holloway and Emily Eggington.

All info should be checked, it is easy to make a wrong turn. I assume you've checked your grandfather's details (marriage) to get to Walter.

It's possible Arthur married a Hilda W Smith but as you can appreciate if so being sure of children is difficult.

Indeed. Out of interest, how were you able to respond so quickly? I hit a complete dead end after the 1891 census.

Back