• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stockland Green

thought so dave as the you cant get away from the likeness...thinking about it now i think you may have posted this one or one similar before...cheers

lyn

The photo in post 15# has much to see. Those were the times when a post with arms was sufficient for traffic directions; now replaced by large signs. The two tram standard poles, centre of photo, appear to also be very small islands. The pole nearest (left side) displays a good view of a tram stop plate, which would be red coloured as it says "all cars stop here". I guess that suggests the terminus shown in the earlier map. The track or track close to the photographer is/are not clearly shown but have to be there otherwise the stop plate and pole would not be there. Little traffic other than those doing deliveries could suggest a date at or not too long after WW1.
The cinema looks very impressive.

The newsagents was Patterson's. My brother had a paper route for them in the l950's. We bought all our papers from Patterson's and I often wsent in to "pay the papers". Patterson's totally rebuilt the front of the building before they opened the shop. They bought two houses and converted them into the shop. Today, you can still see the new brickwork on the front of the shop. They sold toys,stationery, sweets, etc. It was a very nice shop. I used to do my brothers paper rounds when he was ill or late coming from KE Five Ways. He delivered twice a day. The route was off Streetly Road behind the Plaza Cinema.
Was this a small often dingy shop inside, if so it is where you could buy individual Woodbines or Star cigarettes originally a 1d each, but later they went up to2d, used to go in there Sunday morning as I walked from Court Lane to my Grandmothers in Queens Road off Slade Road.

Bob

I remember the Stockland Pub very well, as I had a girl-friend who lived locally and we'd go there for a drink on Saturday afternoons sometimes. We also went to the Stockland Green cinema opposite - I'd like to say that we never saw much of the films that were on, but we were both very well brought-up.....

Later, I used to go to Jim Davis Models, which started up in a small premises at the top of Marsh Lane, then as his business grew moved across the road to the former Co-Op shop. On the corner of Reservoir Road and Slade Road was a Wrenson's Grocery, run by Mr Norman Pretty who was formerly manager of Wrenson's on Birchfield Road. I was friends with his eldest son Rod. And nowadays I buy my shoes at John Banks 'Big & Tall' shop at the top of Slade Road. Parking around there can be a nightmare, but no worse than anywhere else these days.

G

An interesting press cutting (for sale on eBay) from 1978 suggesting the cinema would be replaced by a supermarket. Well it wasn’t replaced was it. Viv.

E29082E6-1AB5-484A-BB62-A52C6F472242.jpeg

I thought it did become a supermarket for a short time? Does anyone remember Frank Riegos' car? It was a sort of kit car come motorbike cross.

I also recal the gas lamps still working in the Plaza, it was all a bit tired in there.

Vivienne

What I know about trams you could write on the back of a postage stamp, but as there are no further overhead cables behind the tram I think it's safe to assume that it is a terminus. The photo looks pre 1920's to me and I think the sign behind the tram might be something to do with the Stockland Green Inn that opened in 1924. This photo might indeed be of the same terminus some few years later (on the left of the photo). You will note I use a lot of ifs and might's.

This is a great photo. I remember the terminus very well. In fact, I think that is the exact same tram station that has pride of place at the tram museum in Derbyshire. On an earlier post of mine I had wondered if the terminus was at Perry Common Road. I'm still curious about that place. I know the busses turned back to Brum from there. But, and I still pride myself on my memory, I eel sure the tram terminus was at Stockland Green. The photo, of course, was taken from Reservoir Road.

I have now found this photo which contradicts my previous post. This picture shows a series of post descending down Streetly Road. Strangely there are no metal tram lines on the road surface. The photo looks as if those missing tramlines have been edited out. Hmn?

This is how the cinema was presented for sale in November 1977. It was sold by February 1978, but it’s difficult to see if the plans for a supermarket were ever realised. Maybe it was never granted planning permission ? By 1988 it had become a Bingo Hall. Viv.

0296A493-3FCC-4CFE-9AEA-156E99F7C25B.jpeg

Attachments

• 321398A7-624E-4D9D-8D59-B673F4EB180B.jpeg
    321398A7-624E-4D9D-8D59-B673F4EB180B.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 8
  • 67C0770E-DCA1-43BF-96A2-EEBD8AC3A486.jpeg
    67C0770E-DCA1-43BF-96A2-EEBD8AC3A486.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 9
  • FFA43591-85C7-4B42-9F1A-96D98AD6C8F3.jpeg
    FFA43591-85C7-4B42-9F1A-96D98AD6C8F3.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hi Viv, it definatly was a supermarket, it may have been Morrisons. I did go in there to look, they spent quite a lot of money on it, but it was very short lived.

Back