• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stockland Green Bilateral School

Zambodini

master brummie
Hi everyone - I am still looking for photographs of old Birmingham school badges, emblems, etc.

Remember, most school reports had the school emblem printed onto the front of the report - so if you have an old school report please post a copy of the school badge/emblem as I am compiling a list of all the old schools in Birmingham.

By the way, I am desparate to get a copy of a photograph of Harry Lucas School in Hockley, so if you have one please post a copy.

Many thanks Mabz

My old school badge - Stockland Green. First go at posting images, so fingers crossed.

n5683621758_8249.jpg

Hi Zambodini: I recognize the Stockland Green School badge. My brother went there in the l960's. Another pupil David Talboys posted it on the Friends Reunited site as well. It's a good looking badge. Thanks for posting it.

Hi Zambodini: I recognize the Stockland Green School badge. My brother went there in the l960's. Another pupil David Talboys posted it on the Friends Reunited site as well. It's a good looking badge. Thanks for posting it.

Hi jennyann, yes I went to Stockland in the 60's also (60-66). David Talboys is a couple of years older than me, but I remember him at the school. What is your brother's name?

Hi Zambodini: My brother's name is William Venville. I am in touch from time to me with David Talboys as the Talboys lived very close to where our family lived and we knew them well. David was in a couple of plays at Stockland Green that I went to see. One was the "Gypsy Baron" and I think the other was "The White Horse Inn".

Well blow me down. The White Horse Inn production was my first Christmas at the school, Gypsy Baron before my time. I also remember your brother who was a good footballer. I remember him playing in the Senior team when I was in the Intermediates. Gypsy Baron photo 1958

ImagerHandler.ashx

Hi Zambodini: It's a small world at times. My brother Bill was indeed a very good footballer and played all over the place including in Germany. I went with my parents to see "the Gypsy Baron" and it was a good show. David Talboys had a faily good size role but I can't remember what his character was. Bill helped with the scenery moving, etc. Bill now lives in Four Oaks after retiring from Transport Management with the British Govenment in Hong Kong for l5 years. He still loves football and is a strong Aston Villa supporter. My nephew lives in Hong Kong with his family. Another huge Villa supporter. I stay with Bill when I visit Brum. Thanks for posting the photo of the cast of the "Gypsy Baron". Great memories. We always liked going to "do's" at Stockland Green school in those days because it was new and everything was light and airy as opposed to the old Grammar Schools and other secondary schoolswhich, of course, were older and more traditional.

At Stockland Green there was a group of 3 schools all on the same site. These were:

Stockland Green Bi-lateral School
Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Technical School
Marsh Hill Boys. Grammar Technical School

I know Marsh Hill Girls became a 6th form college ( Josiah Mason ? Possibly)
Viv.

Anneke Rice with Stockland Green School student in October 1986. Viv.

Attachments

• 345F41CA-6CEC-4F92-A847-743CE53F714C.jpeg
    345F41CA-6CEC-4F92-A847-743CE53F714C.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 6
image.jpegI went to Stockland Green School 1958-1962, played soccer for the School Team and for Erdington District Schools. I was also a member of the Gymnastics Club run by Mr Taylor, in this photo. Can anyone help identify the other members? I am Barry Hart (extreme right back row) 1958/9
I can name, Derek Archer, Roger Goodall, Roger Crewe, Robert Veness and Derek Chalmers.

Hi Barry, am I right in thinking, you went out with my sister in those school years, Susan Massey and you lived in Glendon Road?? Cheers MASS

Ian, you're right on both counts.....nice to hear from you.....kept in touch with Sue for thirty odd years but then lost contact.....I've lived in Devon for a long time.....is Sue still around? I'd love to be in touch again. Barry.

Ian, you're right on both counts.....nice to hear from you.....kept in touch with Sue for thirty odd years but then lost contact.....I've lived in Devon for a long time.....is Sue still around? I'd love to be in touch again. Barry.
Barry, your name rings a bell. what number Glendon Road were you at? Were you in the first "lollipop" on our side, a couple of houses around from the house that had the green McAlpines trucks out front (maybe the Leas? All of the "modern" houses from that circle down had nice front gardens and the back gardens had the lane at the rear that faced the old orchards on Streetly Road.

You'd be a few years older than us, but your name is still familiar. I remember the Heaths (Tony? and another brother Philip?) at the corner of Ilstead Road

On the opposite side was the fella who rode Jawas and Ariel motorcycles and drove an read old MC TC.

I grew up at # 58 from 1953, when I was a year old until I immigrated to Canada in 1974, right across from the Cadbys, Alfie, Paul and their sister. I hung out mostly with Colin Mills who lived with his Grandparents the Bayliss family and his cousin Philip Reynolds.

We lived next to Norman Goodman and his Mom and Dad. His Dad George Snr, rode sidecar outfits for years, then switched to Reliants. I heard that he died in one on a trip. Their son Georgie had gone off the Australia and New Zealand, then returned before I made my exit. Last I heard of Norman was that he was a Jaguar test driver, but he would be retired now.

Martin Smith

Barry, your name rings a bell. what number Glendon Road were you at? Were you in the first "lollipop" on our side, a couple of houses around from the house that had the green McAlpines trucks out front (maybe the Leas? All of the "modern" houses from that circle down had nice front gardens and the back gardens had the lane at the rear that faced the old orchards on Streetly Road.

You'd be a few years older than us, but your name is still familiar. I remember the Heaths (Tony? and another brother Philip?) at the corner of Ilstead Road

On the opposite side was the fella who rode Jawas and Ariel motorcycles and drove an read old MC TC.

I grew up at # 58 from 1953, when I was a year old until I immigrated to Canada in 1974, right across from the Cadbys, Alfie, Paul and their sister. I hung out mostly with Colin Mills who lived with his Grandparents the Bayliss family and his cousin Philip Reynolds.

We lived next to Norman Goodman and his Mom and Dad. His Dad George Snr, rode sidecar outfits for years, then switched to Reliants. I heard that he died in one on a trip. Their son Georgie had gone off the Australia and New Zealand, then returned before I made my exit. Last I heard of Norman was that he was a Jaguar test driver, but he would be retired now.

Martin Smith
I remember Phil Reynolds, proper nice local lad a year or so older than me.

Martin ,I lived at number 49 .....opposite side of the road to you ....lived there till 1970 when I finished my teacher training course.....was friendly with Alf Cadby who also became a teacher and who I think is still in Australia.
I've lived in South Devon fo forty odd years......you mention someone in the road having an MG TC in red,I had the same model but in navy blue with red wheels....that was in 1967/68 do you remember that parked in the lollipop?
Barry

Hi Barry. Yes I remember the MG TC. More family mames also keep popping into my head! The Sheldons lived over on your side, Michael and I think an older brother. Their Mom was from Belgium.

I belive that the Radfords lived next to the Sheldons. Peter was one I recall.

I went to Court Farm with Freda Grant. They lived in the council houses just above the lollipop.

It was a nice enough little place to grow up away from the city. I have many fond memories of those years.

I last visited in 2004 to bury my Dad after he passed away from septicemia after a botched operation at Good Hope ("No Hope") Hospital. Paul Cadby met me outside when I arrived. Paul had never been healthy since a childhood illness left him with intestinal issues.

Alfie Cadby drove a red Volvo Amazon with licence plate that I believe was "1 LOM". I recall the plate, because the Lord Mayor of Birmingham hade "LOM 1", the exact opposite and had attempted to purchase Alfie's car with plate to have the pair.

Our house was number 58, next to the right of way with gates that led down the back lane, directly across from the Cadbys and George Gain the builder. It was a nice little place to grow up. I have fond memories of those years

The once beautifully kept front gardens such as my Mom and Dad's, are now just off street gravel parking. It is sad to see the deterioration, but it only serves to reinforce why I immigrated. Sometimes, having visual access via Google Earth isn't such a good thing!

I had a £10 Assisted Passage to emmigrate to Australia, but things changed and I never ventured there. Maybe we will visit when I retire! I have friends in Australia and my cousin Alan lives there too.

If I had stayed in England, I would have moved to Devon or Cornwall. I worked for a short while on a crew that repaired/inserted expansion joints into Spaghetti Junction and all sorts of commercial buildings. I stood in temporarily for a relative who was ill. I spent some time working in the submarine shop in Devonport. Driving around Devon and Cornwall for a few months working on other jobs down there, gave me a taste for the region that I will never forget. From recall, I think it was the Ark Royal that left one day while I was there, after a multi-year refit. I recall it being big event when it departed.

Martin

I remember Phil Reynolds, proper nice local lad a year or so older than me.
Phil was Colin Mill's cousin and lived at the end of the cul de sac on the right with his Mom, Dad and little sister. I remember the day he was sitting on her little bike, rolled back, fell off and broke his arm.

We had a gas street light on the sidewalk (oops pavement) strip between our house and the Goodmans next door. Every morning I'd look out from my bedroom window to see the fellow with his pole ladder stop to extinguish the lamp.

Along side the paving, the strip at the edge next to the curb was asphalt and had a few craters that served well when we played marbles out in the street!

You may recall Frank King's Coal Yard, directly across from Glendon Road on the other side of Short Heath Road. They used to deliver coal in sacks to our house. After the yard closed, it became another residential cul de sac, "the Parklands".

Martin

View attachment 157215I went to Stockland Green School 1958-1962, played soccer for the School Team and for Erdington District Schools. I was also a member of the Gymnastics Club run by Mr Taylor, in this photo. Can anyone help identify the other members? I am Barry Hart (extreme right back row) 1958/9
I can name, Derek Archer, Roger Goodall, Roger Crewe, Robert Veness and Derek Chalmers.
Would Paul Stockwell, Neil Buffrey or Mickey Finn have been at Stockland Green in or around your year Barry?

My wife Sue (68) went to Stockland Green later, not sure if her older brother David Sanders (80 last week) or older sister Carol (78) went there or not.

The Potter family from Crowder Road (behind Stockland Garage) attended Stockland Green, Eugene and his older brother. Maybe they are familar names.

I was at Marsh Hill with Robert Stockwell, Paul's younger brother. He was sitting in the Stockland having a pint some years ago when I visited!

Neil Buffrey who lived in Birchfield Road by the Stockwells visited us here some years ago, with my wife's cousin. I hadn't seen him for years!

I find that sometimes names jog memories and align with the history or memorable occasions associated with the area.

Martin

Fifth form pupils experimenting with runner beans.

Viv

C2A9B3DA-94FA-4884-990F-82EED4457918.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Back