• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stockland Coaches

There used to be a driver at stockland called stan cotterill and when Backpool lights were on a lot of drivers on midnight returns used to meet up in the grand on station road,most Saturdays.Stan used to get on the stage and sing pennies from heaven while the audience threw money at him (all for charity). I worked with him at Radley Superb at marston green before leaving for Bowens in 1967.He was quite a character .Breathalyser put paid to all that after. Happy Days

I remember Stan very well i even bought his Morris Isis off him. I also remember the grand in Blackpool and the landladys daughter called wild thing. I used to go to the lights most weekends when i was about 19 with my tools in the boot of one of the day excursions incase we had any problems when all 18 coaches arrived at Blackpool. As you say happy days.

After i passed my PSV test in 1966 i used to do the overnight run down to Torquay and Paignton on a Friday. We used to start the pickups at 9 pm getting back to Stockland green ready to transfer passengers in time for the 11pm departure. We used to arrive about 7am, sweep out and refuel ready for the 9am departure back to Birmingham, changing over to a relief driver in Bridgewater on the way back. First driver back took the relief drivers back to Bridgewater in the bosses car. All for half a crown per hour.

I went on a couple of those trips with my mom and dad. 1963 was one of the years. I remember the driver being Les Fox, he was quite a character if I remember correctly. Anyone else remember him?

I've just come across this thread. Thanks everyone for the information, memories and pictures! I remember Gliderways quite fondly in the late 1950s and early 1960s, probably because they shared the Smethwick "HA" registration numbers with my "first love" Midland Red. Judging from the pictures posted on this thread, they (and Stockland etc) had a very interesting fleet.

I went on a couple of those trips with my mom and dad. 1963 was one of the years. I remember the driver being Les Fox, he was quite a character if I remember correctly. Anyone else remember him?

I started with Stocklands in 1964 and don't recollect a driver called Les. Most of the overnight South Devon drivers were part timers who just used to do the Friday overnighter. The first trip of the season was double manned, as the Bridgewater relief drivers only covered the main holiday season, and started the beginning of June, the last trip also being double manned was early September just before Blackpool lights started. Some of the drivers I remember were Archie Andrews, Alan Maynard, Sam Hunt, Arthur Higgs, Harry Wagstaff and Stan cotterill, there were many more but memory is a strange thing.

I started with Stocklands in 1964 and don't recollect a driver called Les. Most of the overnight South Devon drivers were part timers who just used to do the Friday overnighter. The first trip of the season was double manned, as the Bridgewater relief drivers only covered the main holiday season, and started the beginning of June, the last trip also being double manned was early September just before Blackpool lights started. Some of the drivers I remember were Archie Andrews, Alan Maynard, Sam Hunt, Arthur Higgs, Harry Wagstaff and Stan cotterill, there were many more but memory is a strange thing.

I think that '63 may well have been his last year. I know he used to only like the seaside trips and he was getting fed up of being asked to do other stuff like taking staff to companies like Kynochs and the GEC. He used to drive down to Paignton, Tewksbury was one of the break stops in those days, he would then drive back to Bridgewater, the relief driver would take over and he would go for a kip on the back seat.

HI GUYS ;
Am i correct to say that a small collection of the stocklands coaches are still in bussiness
i went through quinton the other day and as you past the quinton by pass
passing the fire station just up on your right there is a small office and yard with the name of stockland coaches
along with a couple of there coaches with the name stockand written on them ;
so i presumethey are still in bussiness ; but not in a big way they used to be
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;;

I think that '63 may well have been his last year. I know he used to only like the seaside trips and he was getting fed up of being asked to do other stuff like taking staff to companies like Kynochs and the GEC. He used to drive down to Paignton, Tewksbury was one of the break stops in those days, he would then drive back to Bridgewater, the relief driver would take over and he would go for a kip on the back seat.

First break taken at 0100 hr just outside Tewksbury (great fry up for the driver) second stop at Wellington at 0500 hr (scabby steak and kidney pie for driver). On the return first break Bridgewater and second break alongside the river in Gloucester. Only time I got the back seat was on the first trip of the season when you came back empty and you were double manned all the way. You were OK on the 52 seater VALs as you usually had the single front seat empty or if that was full you just sat anywhere you could. Work services in the winter kept the regular drivers employed, Britannic assurance in the Mosely area, Lucas aerospace in Honiley, others in Kennelworth and the various coal mines. Winter was the time when you carried out most of the annuals and re-certifications with just defects and routine servicing being carried out during the Summer months. During Blackpool lights I always remember going out most Monday mornings, with the breakdown, recovering one of the fords off the M6 services with a blown engine. We used to keep a spare engine, ready for this weekly task, which had been stripped and overhauled the previous week with the vehicle having to be ready for the following Saturday. Astonian, hope they have started up again seemed such a shame that they lost the name when they sold out to Bowens.

Last edited:
Hello, I drove for Stockland Coaches in 1963/4. Lots of fragmented memories, One of the brothers was into drag racing and the car was tested in the garage which was emptied and the coaches parked in the road at the back of the garage. Anyone got memories of VOL 1,2,3 and 4. I remember Stan, John Summerfield, Mr Des Sansome seemed to run the coaching side, Ted Lane, a nice fellow always in office with loads of schedule sheets. I also remember an 'excursion with a pick up in Aston at Burley's Coaches. Didn't the Burley's daughter marry one of the Stocklands Brothers? Memories from another age, I lived in Edgware Road, between the PLAZA and Short Heath. Happy Days. Roy Gregory.

Hello Roy, I must have started just after you left. I worked with Barry Hinks who was the Garage foreman, Ken, and Able who did the servicing and tyre fitting. Mr Ian had the racing car, he gave me a rollicking once for racing the company van and told me I was to old to be a racing driver, I was 18 at the time and believed I was invincible. The Vols and SOL's were wintered at Burleys and brought back in to service at the start of the season, very thirsty motors being petrol especially after being parked up over the pit overnight. Some of the Drivers I remember were Arthur Hicks, Alan Maynard, Sam, Archie Andrews, Stan Cotterill, Billy Wrag, I met Des Sansomes brother Phil a few years ago whilst on a coach tour in the South of France, he had a car body repair place in Orchard road Erdington, he told me that Des was well and had moved to Canada. Happy times indeed. All the best.

On a slightly different note, I expect all you coach fans will remember Digbeth coach station, choked with diesel fumes and staff who always had to shout above the racket. It was always the starting point for our family holiday in the "main weeks" down to Paington. Usually the journey started around 11pm after getting the last 5A from Brookvale Rd. into town and then walking all the way down into Digbeth with poor old Father carrying the suitcases. There was a change of coaches at, for me, the notorious Cheltenham coach station where the next coach was always late and was never clean inside or out. An abiding childhood memory.......

My Mother Sister and myself used Digbeth to catch the coach to visit family in Manchester, quite a shock when used to catching the coach to Paignton from Stockland Green, all the different companies that used Digbeth compared to just one at Stocklands. We went on holiday to Southsea one year and, if I remember correctly, travelled on a Red and white company coach which was on hire to Midland Red, first break was at Cheltenhams Black and Whites depot. Unfortunately I was one of those children who usually spent much of the journey standing in the stair well ready to be sick, didn't get over it until I starting driving them myself.

Hello, thanks for prompt reply.
I remember the VOLs as each Saturday for 6 weeks, I did the 'BARMOUTH' holiday express. Departing Stockland Green @0845 and returning from Barmouth @1400hrs. Being a holiday service I had a uniform. A White coat that came down to the knees. Being a hilly journey the break pads were worn out after the return trip and were replaced ready for the Monday morning duties, usually Britannia Insurance. I remember all 4 of the Vols were used. Now need photos. The flags of the World were painted on the rear luggage doors, a beautiful piece of artwork. Take care, Roy.

Barmouth known as panel beaters alley :) I remember the britanic assurance on the Moseley road as well as the Kenilworth and Honiley work services. I used to cover the work services when short of drivers, taking the drivers to pick up their vehicles before their return trips, one Driver, Harry Wagstaff, was the most aggravating passenger and even decided on one journey to lift the trap over the diff and relieve himself whilst we were moving, he wasn't to impressed when the prop threw everything back in his face. Do you remember Buck Rogers, nice bloke but could he drink especially when on a Blackpool midnight return. Have to say that these were probably the best years of my working life. Best wishes.

Nick

Back