• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stitchers stitchings

Hello Alan, I did have a chat with someone at the council house and they said it was up to New York to let me know they had received it. I also had a chat with a fireman at the station opposite the old Bournbrook pub but he could not find out anything either.

I did a perfunctory search about this Stitcher. I could not find anything on the Ground Zero web site. What I did find out was that a former Lord Mayor, did visit NYC with some donation (and other things I guess) as you will read. He has now retired it says but maybe a contact with him might shed light on what happened to your gift.

Birmingham City Council has honoured former Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham councillor Jim Whorwood for his contributions to the community over a political career spanning five decades. The former Lord Mayor of Birmingham was made an Honorary Alderman of the City at the recent annual meeting of the Council. As Lord Mayor in 2001-2002 he represented Birmingham on a visit to New York following the September 11 attacks to hand over donations raised by Brummies. Mr Whorwood said: "I visited the site of the Twin Towers in New York to express condolences, in particular to the relatives and colleagues of the fire brigades and police - a memorable but very harrowing experience."

Thank you for your efforts Alan, I really would like to know if it ended up where intended but I have too much going on at the moment. I met Carl Chinn in the Irish Centre once and mentioned all this to him, he gave me a woman's name and said I should ask her about it. It was her who told me it was up to New York to thank me for it then I would know they had received it.

DSCF1041.JPG

DSCF1042.JPG
This is my progress so far the top image is the left hand half of the section I am sewing now and image two is the right hand side. When I reach the right hand edge I will post an image of the complete view of what I have done so far.

Lovely pieces of work Stitcher, things to be proud of.
I wonder about the New York connection maybe we (as a Forum) can find out what happened.
Here is a history of the Praying hands for anyone unfamiliar with the work of art. I have a prayer card illustration of the hands with facts on the reverse. I see it most days as I use it as a bookmark. It was given to me, on a very special occasion, by a wonderful Irish priest and friend, now in higher pastures. I value it.

https://totallyhistory.com/praying-hands/

Back