• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stirchley

tommy

master brummie
Hi there new to this site
Can anyone help me i am looking for information on an old building that use to be in stirchley pershore road .
I t was originally a industrial laundry and was demolished in the late sixties ,they then built a ware house on the site called laxstons an know bookers .the entrance to the industrial laundry used to be down bewedely road know it is down ten acres road opposite the dog pool i used to live on the pershore road by Birmingham motorcycles / scrap yard any information would be greatly appreciated.
hope Ive posted in the right place ?:) great site

Thank,s Maurice
so the co,op use to own the laundry ? well that's a starting point thank you any more info welcome .
Hi other half , I have been in touch with j Norton and got the pics of the old pershore road his son is running the site now.I have also been on the stirchley web site but to no avail, i use to live 1138 opposite the scrap yard 60,s 70,s did you work there then?
before the rilliant service,s ,it use to be a motor bike place.

Hi Mikejee
Thank,s for map, is it possible to show map from bewdley road to dogpool lane that would be great.
cheers.

I take it this is what you want
Mike

map_c_1903_pershore_rd_from_bewdley_rd_to_dogpool_lane.jpg

I take it this is what you want
Mike

That is an interesting map, the road with the truncated name looks like it should be School Rd but now is St Stephens Rd. Also the location of the of the laundry looks like where the factory of Cox and Wilcox eventually was.

Yes the road is labelled School road. The laundry was the Edgebaston Steam Laundry Co, at what was later no 1111 Pershore Road
mike

Hi there new to this site
Can anyone help me i am looking for information on an old building that use to be in stirchley pershore road .
I t was originally a industrial laundry and was demolished in the late sixties ,they then built a ware house on the site called laxstons an know bookers .the entrance to the industrial laundry used to be down bewedely road know it is down ten acres road opposite the dog pool i used to live on the pershore road by Birmingham motorcycles / scrap yard any information would be greatly appreciated.
hope Ive posted in the right place ?:) great site
Hi my husband worked in a laundry on Pershore Rd,they used to refer to it as Tascos Ten Acres/Stirchley Coop that was mid/late 60s liz

Hi
I thought i would add a few photos of the area, enjoy

Tramcar Pershore Rd Cotteridge 1950

Tramcar_Pershore_Road_Cotteridge_1950.jpg

St Agnes Church pershore Rd

St_Agnes_Church_Pershore_Road~0.jpg

Steam Lorries

Steam_Lorries_Stirchley~0.jpg

The Post office Pershore Rd Stirchley

Post_Office_Pershore_Road_1905.jpg

Regards Stars

AND TASCOS MILK DAIRY WAS ALSO THERE FURTHER DOWN BY THE POLICE TRAING GROUND IN THE VINCINETI OF THERE SPORTS GROUND
ON JUDGEMENT REGARDIG THE DISTANT USED TO GO THERE AS A YOUNG LAD ON THE LORRIES TRAVELLING ALL OVER THE COUNTY
TO VARIUOS DAIRIES AND BREWERS COLLECTING ALL THE STRAY AND MIXED BOTTLES
FOR THE BIRMINGHAM BOTTLE EXCHANGE AT THE BOTTOM OF ST MICHAELS HILL
IT WAS IN THE SIDE RD AT THE BOTOM OF FACTORY RD THEY HAD FOUR GREAT BIG LORRIES AND THE COMPANY WAS OR STILL IS OWNED BY A SOLICITORS MY UNCLE BILL SMART USED TO WORK THERE WAY BACK IN THE FIFTIES AND HIS BROTHER JOE WAS THE FOREMAN
JOE SMART WORKED THERE ALL IS LIFE HE WAS THE TRASPORT AND YARD MANAGER THERE
THE BIRMINGHAM BOTTLE EXCHANGE IS WORDLY KNOWN FOR WASHING AND SORTING ALL THE FOREIGN BOTTLE THAT GOT MIXED UP WITH ALL VARIUOS DAIRYS AND ALSO THE BREWERS AND THE CIDER BOTTLES THEY WOULD BEPUT ONTO A CONVEYOR BELT BY A LOT OF WOMEN WHOM UNLOADED
the cases and they would gpo around the yard and ware house through a giant washing machine and there would be other ladies taking of the track and reorganisisig the correct bottle for the right dairy or brewers whom the bottles belonged to and afew days or a wek later they would go back to there rightful ownes for use what ever it was ; milk or cider or bees across the country ;

Here is a nice photo that should bring back memories for some.
The Treasure trove 1953 Pershore Rd Stirchley

Image1_The_treasure_Trove_Stirchley_1953.jpg

There does not seem to be a thread on memories of Stirchley, so here is a piece from Carl Chinn's old Brum about some from around the 1930s. Save to read properly
Memories of stirchley.CARL CHINN OLD BRUM NO 6A.jpg

Stirchley was featured on the national BBC 1.00pm news today. An area with small shops that enjoyed low rents and little competition from the usual names.

Back