• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stillborn Births

walshy

knowlegable brummie
hi sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but was wondering if any of you could tell me what would of happened to a stillborn baby in the late 1800s-early 1900s would the hospital of taken care of the funeral or the family?

I'm also interested in this as I had a relation who had a stillborn child. The mother died 10 days after the stillborn child. Can't find a record of the child. Would have been in 1870s. What would have happened to the child? Viv.

Since my mother sadly gave birth to a stillborn child in the early l930's, I have researched a little on the subject of burial of these babies. Over the last couple of centuries most of the babies were buried in the first available grave that was ready for a burial in their local grave yard. There was never any records kept of such burials as far as I could find out. However, there may have been some exceptions. In my Mother's case the practice of placing the the babies in the first available grave was still being carried out. She never knew where where her baby was buried.

Last edited:
My late Wife gave birth to a stillborn baby (a boy) at Loveday St maternity hospital in 1959 and they took care of everything with the utmost kindness and sympathy. Eric

Eric I am so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine the pain you and your lovely wife must have gone through. I always found it difficult when researching info on Key Hill Cemetery to find babies buried with strangers but, we have to remember the times were so hard and perhaps there may have been some comfort that the child was not alone. I am not religious as such but I love the words suffer little children to come unto me. I am pleased to hear Loveday St maternity were kind to you both. We sometimes have no idea what our friends have suffered. Bless you Eric you are such a kind man. Wendy x

I had a friend who had a still birth, they obviously don't have to register the birth and so its difficult to get any info, but the hospitals usually have something in place for burial, and its usually very caring and kind.

im trying to find details of a stillborn baby that my late mother had..all i know he was a boy and born a long time before i was..unfortunatly the family members ive asked are not much help//all i know he was born roughly 47 yrs ago,give or tak a year..ive heard stillbirths were buried with strangers..is that true?.if so id luv to try and find out sum details,as he wud be my older brother...i know he was born at home,so wud this make a difference at all..xx

Elizabeth,a stillbirth still has to be registered but the entry does not go into the ordinary BMD but in a special register.
You can choose a name for your stillborn child to be put on the register entry,

Back