• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

still smiling

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i put this one on ages ago but for those who may have missed it here it is again....it gets to me this pic as instead of not wanting to be photographed these folk rolled up their sleeves and got on with life as best they could..makes me feel very humble..no location on this one...

lyn:):)

courtesy of carl chinn

My mother did when we got bombed out and remember Dad was away in the Army at the time:)

May put a couple of story's on later.

alf..it must have been so very hard for folk...and i bet we dont even know the half of it....

lyn:):)

Too true Lyn...as I mentioned in a recent post many of us are finding out so much more about the bombing of Birmingham and how people took it in their stride and were incredibly brave. I'm not sure which film it was as there were many films about the war in the l950's but I remember this soldier going home to his family's house in a British city and when he turned the corner of the street he lived in the whole street had gone...bombed. He had been away fighting and was totlly unaware. He didn't know whether his family had survived. Something like that stays in your memory. Wish I could remember the name of the film.

hi jenny...what gets me is how their minds must have been affected by 6 years of worry..stress..and going without....the loss of loved ones..the list is endless. well over 6 years really as it was not easy for a few years after the war had ended...think i may have mentioned this some time ago on another thread but when our dad was doing his window cleaning in the late 40s he pulled one of his women customers from the house..she was trying to gas herself in the oven.....got a couple of children too.....do you know she never spoke to him after that..she just left the money for the windows on the sill outside and no more cups of tea....i often wonder if the war years had caused her to want to take her life.....so sad i think....

lyn

Too true Lyn...as I mentioned in a recent post many of us are finding out so much more about the bombing of Birmingham and how people took it in their stride and were incredibly brave. I'm not sure which film it was as there were many films about the war in the l950's but I remember this soldier going home to his family's house in a British city and when he turned the corner of the street he lived in the whole street had gone...bombed. He had been away fighting and was totlly unaware. He didn't know whether his family had survived. Something like that stays in your memory. Wish I could remember the name of the film.
Jenny Anne it may have been the Battle of Britain and it was Ian Mc Shane who stayed later with Robert Shaw :)

hi Jennyann, I think the film you may be thinking about is called. THE CRUEL SEA starring Jack Hawkins , a sailor does come home on leave turns the corner and his house has gone. mick m

hi jenny...what gets me is how their minds must have been affected by 6 years of worry..stress..and going without....the loss of loved ones..the list is endless. well over 6 years really as it was not easy for a few years after the war had ended...think i may have mentioned this some time ago on another thread but when our dad was doing his window cleaning in the late 40s he pulled one of his women customers from the house..she was trying to gas herself in the oven.....got a couple of children too.....do you know she never spoke to him after that..she just left the money for the windows on the sill outside and no more cups of tea....i often wonder if the war years had caused her to want to take her life.....so sad i think....

lyn

Yes Lyn it affected my Mom after the War where possible she always bought more food than we ever neeeded by way of Tinned Food, Sugar etc and she did that for the rest of her life.

thanks for that alf..i often wonder would i have been so strong and determined to carry on as folk obviously did....

lyn:)

Back