• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Still searching for GT GT Grandmother and GT Aunt's Buriels.

gingerninja

knowlegable brummie
Hi, I am still searching for the possible buriels site of My GT Aunt Alice Champken nee Jones died 1910 Summer Lane and a Sarah Jones Capper died 1909 Ashley Street.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards

gingerninja

Hi there.

I was at the Birmingham Reference Library to day and i checked the following for the possible burials of the two ladies you mentioned above; Witton, Yardley, Key Hill, Warstone Lane, and St. George church. They are not buried in any of those. Handsworth cemetery records start from 1909 but unfortunately the section for sur-names beginning with C are unreadable for 1909/1910. I would strongly suggest that you check with the cemetery direct to see if they are buried there which looks a possibility.

Handsworth Cemetery
Oxhill Road, Handsworth, Birmingham B21 8JT
Tel: 0121 554 0096
Fax: 0121 515 1522
E-mail: [email protected]

Regards

Steve

Diud you have a reply yet from Handsworth? I am going there on Monday, would you like me to see for you?

Hi Shortie

Thanks very much for your offer of help, yes please if you can have a look for me I would be very grateful. Alice Champken was living at Summer Lane when she died, Sarh could be Jones/Capper or Capper Jones.

Thanks

gingerninja

Hi shortie

May i be cheeky and ask if you could possibly ask about where the following two (hopefully it may be just one, as they are Father and daughter) graves are at Handsworth.

June Timmins buried 14 February 1947, burial register number 31666
and Ernie Frederick Timmins buried 12 April 1948 burial registration number 32706

Would be much obliged.

Regards

Steve Crathorn

Hi Steve

Yes, of course I will do that for you. I do only have limited time, so the burial numbers help me a great deal. I shall report back on Monday.

Best wishes

Shortie

Steve, you are very welcome. With regard to your comment about gingerninja's burials, we shall see on Monday! I do have to say at this point, I believe they will be in Witton, for the simple reason that in 1909 and 1910, Summer Lane was Warwickshire, whereas Handsworth Cemetery was in Staffordshire. The cost to transfer over a county border may have been significant, and so far I have not found a cross-county burial yet.

Saying that, I cannot find my own gt grandparents, who died in 1931 and 1921. They are in no cemetery, and by 1921 all the churchyards were closed, but I am now holding out some hope that they will be buried with their son who died in 1919, and the churchyard I am thinking of may not have been closed by then. When I have time to go into Birmingham, I might be able to find out. - Shortie

Shortie I knew you would have the answer. The only one I have found of my grandfathers siblings is John Alfred Jennings he lived in Robert Road Handsworth but was buried with his parents in Key Hill this was in the 1920's so after the boundery change. His younger sister Florence May married Robert Westwood in later life and I am sure they lived in Handsworth. I am now sure she must be in Handsworth cemetery perhaps with her husband. Here is a photo of brother and sister....don't you love his moustache.:)

John_Alfred_Jennings_and_Florence_May_Westwood_nee_Jennings__edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shortie.

Gingerminja's ladies burials are not in Witton (see my comments above). I have checked a lot of the cemeteries as you can see. Being as the one lived in Summer Lane i am gambling on the burials being in Handsworth.

If you and Wendy can give me any details about the burials you are after i can have a look in the Birmingham Reference Library at the end of the week.

Cheers

Steve

Oh Wendy, his moustache must have taken ages to wax or whatever they did to it. It's amazing! If you can find out their deaths, I can do a look up for you. I am going there tomorrow (taking mother-in-law to see docto, but will pop in), but I can make arrangements to go again.

Gingerninga, I have been to Handsworth today, but it was a rushed visit and I did not manage to get to the Handsworth records because they were being used by the staff. I am going back in a few days, so hang on in there!!! (possibly Thursday). Shortie.

Hello Gingerninja

I went to Handsworth again yesterday, and there are no entires in 1909 and 1910 for these ladies. As I suspected, they will probably be at Witton. Shortie

Hi Gingerninja, I am sorry, but neither of these ladies are at Witton. I would suggest trying Key Hill and Warstone Lane. I checked Handsworth and have been able to do a Witton one for you (a very rare occurence) but so far, no sign. Shortie

Sarah Jones Capper was intered at Lodge Hill Cemetery in a communial grave on 22 December 1909, on section C9 Nimber 444.
View attachment 52668
Regards. Dennis Capper.

Back