• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stickleback fishing

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i am sure some of you remember as kids we used to take a fishing net to a park catch sticklebacks or tiddlers as we called them and bring them home in a jam jar..my question is does anyone know of a safe place where i can take my grandson to catch some...i was telling him about my childhood and going with mates fishing and now he wants to do it...getting him a net is no problem they are only a quid from the pound shop..james is only 5 so do not really want to go near deep water...thanks for any advise

lyn

There is always Sutton Park, Lyn, I think there are a few streams close to the main gate and Boldmere, make sure if he goes paddling to wear something on his feet,

thats great john and close to me as well...thanks and always open to suggestions of other places

lyn

How about visiting Sarehole Mill and looking for sticklebacks along the River Cole. Used to find them in that area in my youth but we are talking over 60 years ago.

thanks richard and dave noted them down...i used to walk from villa st to handsworth park to catch mine...long time ago but as i remember it was only a small stream bit far for me to go now though...i was also wondering if perry park off the walsall road was any good as that is also reachable from here

lyn

Sheldon country park, although in my day it was King George V playing fields, was always a great source place for paddling and fishing for sticklebacks.

Sheldon country park, although in my day it was King George V playing fields, was always a great source place for paddling and fishing for sticklebacks.
many thanks jim...also noted that one down...at this rate i will be spoilt for choice

Trying to think where we used to go, I think we used to go to Perry Hall by the paddle boat moat, there used to be a small stream there, but its been 60 years since I last went there fishing for sticklebacks, there was one where the new sports stadium was built at one time..

Trying to think where we used to go, I think we used to go to Perry Hall by the paddle boat moat, there used to be a small stream there, but its been 60 years since I last went there fishing for sticklebacks, there was one where the new sports stadium was built at one time..
yes john i was thinking of having a look there as well...well remember the paddle boats and the little refreshment place on the right as you enter the park...happy days

I remember the little stream in Perry Hall Park. We didn't ever go fishing there but I remember catching sticklebacks in the Worcestershire Avon near where my Nan lived.

Witton Lakes, where the Hawthorn Brook enters the first lake was always a good spot for stickle backs.

BrookvalePark always had a good selection of sticklebacks and the other small fish...memory gone again, Guppy? Used to be a place near George Masons where you could by a fishing net 9d I think.
Bob

We used to go to Cannon Hill Park but I don't know if you are allowed to do it now. It was safer not like the muddy banks of the "Rezza" but it was a day out on two buses each way!
rosie.

That's where I used go to catch tiddlers and tadpoles...
Dave A

hi folks i am sure some of you remember as kids we used to take a fishing net to a park catch sticklebacks or tiddlers as we called them and bring them home in a jam jar..my question is does anyone know of a safe place where i can take my grandson to catch some...i was telling him about my childhood and going with mates fishing and now he wants to do it...getting him a net is no problem they are only a quid from the pound shop..james is only 5 so do not really want to go near deep water...thanks for any advise

lyn
We caught some (many years ago, that is!) from the stream that flows out of Little Bracebridge in Sutton Park. We took them home in a jam jar but then we didn't know what to do with them, so we tipped them into our neighbour's pond. They couldn't understand why their goldfish suddenly had nibbled tails...

Back