• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stereos, Hi-Fi’s, Record Players, Gramophones

In 1960's we were into high density chipboard to build our own speakers with woofers and tweeters and I think a belt driven deck. Could it have been Gerrard?
I still have a JVC stack system with stereo speakers although the deck has been in the loft for twenty years. Going back to the 1950's portable in #14 above one Christmas I took it along to school where our maths teacher introduced us to "proper" music. Mendelssohn's Hebrides had a more lasting effect on me than maths ever did.
JVC was VERY good equipment!

We still have ten boxes of LPs & 78s that we brought over when we moved nearly 16 years ago and have never been opened since, together with several boxes of VHS tapes, and 14 Betamax tapes of stuff recorded from the TV, & the huge Betamax player. I tried one out a few years ago and it was mainly newsreels! I really don't want to waste a week of my life going through that lot. :)

Maurice :cool:
and i have our Maurice. i have a box of lps and mono records in the loft.that wa my dads. i cant find the heart to get rid of them. (nelson eddy):grinning:

Maurice, not sure where you are but in the US old records, in good shape or condition are quite valuable. New and old turn tables are showing up in many places, particularly where I am in the Nashville area!
and here in wales. i give the wax 78s away they wrecked the stylus.:(

Pete,

Yes, and if you shopped around a bit, you could get them for nine quid odd! And moving slightly off topic, the Collaro tape deck was about £14 if I remember right, but with cheap asynchrous motors, they soon developed lots of wow & flutter.

But not a good idea to stack records, Viv, a bit of accidental dust and grit soon put scratches on them.

Our Maurice,i took the ceramic stylus out and slung it,fitted a pre amp and a sure dynamic, into a graphic equalizer. that i also have my radio tx connected to as well.:grinning:

Went past our local record dealer’s shop this morning and spotted this EP in the window. Thought, “well that’s nice”, then noticed the price ...... FIFTEEN POUNDS !!! You must be joking. And it’s Mono. But then you are getting 4 singles on one record. Viv.

772E7EED-0EDA-426C-B548-8B2D812DDC1D.jpeg

Richard,

I'm in Crete and we don't have antique shops here. In fact, very little second hand at all - people tend to run things into the ground! The boxes of 78s weight a fair old bit and there are fives boxes of them. My car was 15 years old when I sold it, and that was a relative youngster here. Our original idea was to convert all this old stuff into digital and I have the equipment to do it, but it is so time consuming. But now CDs are on their way out and CDs that are burned on a computer only have on average a life of 5 years. Commercially pressed stuff lasts a lot longer, but soon you won't be able to get anything to play them on anyway. Member sticks last somewhat longer, but that is the ever present problem of people involved in archiving - the ever-evolving different formats.

Some years ago I was contacted by a museum because I was one of the few people who had a working copy of a DOS database called GIM (Genealogical Information Manager). They'd been left a family tree as a GIM file and had no means of reading it, so they put an ad in Family Tree Magazine and I was the only person that responded.

Went past our local record dealer’s shop this morning and spotted this EP in the window. Thought, “well that’s nice”, then noticed the price ...... FIFTEEN POUNDS !!! You must be joking. And it’s Mono. But then you are getting 4 singles on one record. Viv.

View attachment 150522
phew. £15. i would walk on by.... a song comes to mind:grinning:

And I certainly did Pete. The singles in the window run at about £2 each, so that seems more reasonable. The shop doesn’t seem to have many EPs. Maybe they’re rarer.

Viv.

And I certainly did Pete. The singles in the window run at about £2 each, so that seems more reasonable. The shop doesn’t seem to have many EPs. Maybe they’re rarer.

Viv.
since record players come back in fashion people are cashing in on old vinyl record sales.

You got a load of old EPs you’re trying to offload Mike ? It’s still not making £15 sound cheaper ! Viv.

No Viv
Never a great record collector, but just pointing out that, considering SOME older things rise in value,and taking account of inflation, if they are in good condition the apparent difference is not that great. Cannot remember what EPS cost but https://www.theguardian.com/busines...almost-a-quarter-of-a-teenage-pop-pickers-pay says in 1966 singles were
6s.8d (about 38p) and an LP £!.12s.6d (about £1.62)

Coincidentally...just this week I dug out my collection of 45's from under the basement stairs. I looked at them and really wanted to hear some of the music I hadn't heard for years. Problem being that many of them are unplayable due to their history of abuse. However, YouTube to the rescue!! I randomly chose more than 30 discs and searched UT...they were all there! So...I became a DJ for an hour or so, most of them were 2 mins or less. It was a very enjoyable experience that I'm planning on repeating. I'm curious as to whether I have anything that is not on YouTube, I'll soon find out.

Dave A

Richard,

I'm in Crete and we don't have antique shops here. In fact, very little second hand at all - people tend to run things into the ground! The boxes of 78s weight a fair old bit and there are fives boxes of them. My car was 15 years old when I sold it, and that was a relative youngster here. Our original idea was to convert all this old stuff into digital and I have the equipment to do it, but it is so time consuming. But now CDs are on their way out and CDs that are burned on a computer only have on average a life of 5 years. Commercially pressed stuff lasts a lot longer, but soon you won't be able to get anything to play them on anyway. Member sticks last somewhat longer, but that is the ever present problem of people involved in archiving - the ever-evolving different formats.

Some years ago I was contacted by a museum because I was one of the few people who had a working copy of a DOS database called GIM (Genealogical Information Manager). They'd been left a family tree as a GIM file and had no means of reading it, so they put an ad in Family Tree Magazine and I was the only person that responded.

Maurice, I know what you mean about time consuming! I started to put our home movies on to CD's and gave up! There are companies that do that but they will not edit.
My wife & I drive Acura's (not sure if you have that Honda brand), both are new our previous ones were 12 & 15 years old, such a difference in technology. If you load a CD it goes into a hard drive then is ejected or you can use a thumb drive. The 2022 version also has wireless transfer direct from Apple or others.

I enjoy the technology but am not sure its always in our best interest!

View attachment 150522

I believe old mono records are actually worth more than the stereo versions for some reason.

Also, I think I read recently that vinyl is outselling CDs for the first time in years. The younger generation are realising that you get a better sound from it - I think it's great that it's coming back!

Coincidentally...just this week I dug out my collection of 45's from under the basement stairs. I looked at them and really wanted to hear some of the music I hadn't heard for years. Problem being that many of them are unplayable due to their history of abuse. However, YouTube to the rescue!! I randomly chose more than 30 discs and searched UT...they were all there! So...I became a DJ for an hour or so, most of them were 2 mins or less. It was a very enjoyable experience that I'm planning on repeating. I'm curious as to whether I have anything that is not on YouTube, I'll soon find out.

Dave A
Dave I think that's the smart way to go!

Wasn’t it annoying when you got a scratch on your favourite single or LP ? The needle either jumped to a completely different part of the record or set up its own repeat of the same line, over and over and over and over and over ....................

Viv.

Wasn’t it annoying when you got a scratch on your favourite single or LP ? The needle either jumped to a completely different part of the record or set up its own repeat of the same line, over and over and over and over and over ....................

Viv.
Yes exactly! It's such a pleasure to be able to play almost anything you want to hear with the hassles, thanks to Utube...
Dave A

Back