• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stephenson Street

I think - even without a measuring tape! - that Stephenson Street is much much narrower today than in these two photos. There's no way you'd fit 5 or 6 cars abreast along the street today. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Yes Janice that's true. Just an observation but I've also seen photos of the street without the traffic island in front of the station. Presumably the full width must have been referred to as Stephenson Street at that time? Viv.

I see what you mean but I had only seen it with the islands so assumed that bit was not part of the street.

The frontage has (obviously) changed several times. When the original frontage changed with the building of the station complex in the 1960s I think on further consideration the 1960s shops along that part of Stephenson Street may have followed part of the footprint of the original station/Queens Hotel frontage. The original building frontage had a part further set back near the Stephenson Place end and a part set more forward going towards the LowerTemple Street/Navigation Street end. I remember the 1960s shops were built underneath a canopy. This canopy stretched out into Stephenson Street and the canopy formed a 'modern' type of collanade underneath. I remember this walkway was a cold and not very inviting place.

With the more recent (2015) development the canopy still stretches far out into Stephenson Street. The extent of this 'canopy' can be seen in the comparisons below - see yellow dots. It also gives the impression of a much narrower street.

I think at some point the space/driveway in front of the old station/Queens Hotel must have been formally adopted as Stephenson Street. And I wonder if this was when the 1960s station re-development took place. Viv

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I've not been to the city Centre renovations regarding the tram yet, but I'm not expecting delight. The last 'new' photo looks like the station frontage in the guise of a zeppelin with miniscule people on the ground overshadowed by it. Since the sun comes from the south its never going to be lit again by sunlight.
There is a DJNorton photo which may answer peoples question regarding the width of Stephenson Street in the old days before the sixties refurb
https://www.photobydjnorton.com/PhotosByLeonardStace.html

I remember the 'modern' canopy too. If I remember right, the pavement was raised up towards the kerb and in later years square bricked to prevent ppl crossing except at approved junctions or precise bus pick up points. But you could love it or loathe it then, nowadays you can't even be decisive.

The Stephenson Street media eye (recently turned on again) seen from Navigation Street. Old and new architecture contrasting.

Saw this sign on the Guildhall Buildings on Stephenson Street.

And here's the other signs with Guildhall Buildings below!

Last edited:
Urbos 3 tram at the end of Stephenson Street seen last September 2017 from Pinfold Street, before the hoardings for the next extension went up.

Grand Central Tram Stop in May 2017.

Snow the first Saturday of March 2018.

Still concrete above the ramp into Grand Central. This view from Stephenson Street as a blue tram with a battery climbs around Stephenson Place.

The new tram tracks further up near the Guildhall Building.

Towards Stephenson Street from Navigation Street. The media eye wasn't on.

Roughly the same view with the ramp in February 2010.

Back