• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stephenson Street

1997-7409_LMS_3391.jpg
Moderators might wish to find a more exact thread for this photo but since the Queen's Hotel does appear on this Stephenson Street section here's an opportunity to show the hotel-and Stephenson Street-in its elegance. Dated 1918, and courtesy of the National Railway Museum collection.

The view 2 weeks ago (has changed since it opened yesterday, but not been back yet)

and a month ago

My last shot from Brunel Street (last Thursday)

Now here's a challenge. Where on earth in Stephenson Street was this garage? It claims to be 'The Garage of Birmingham' and was 'Always Open'. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368042927.236488.jpg

I'm assuming it was on the corner of Stephenson Street and Lower Temple Street which features as a car showroom on the DJ Norton website. Premises do have a tradition of maintaining their trade through various decades and ownerships.

Viv
The only garage listed in the 1910 Kellys is Ernest J Banks. From the street listing it was between Navigation st and Stephenson Place, that is , within the New St station building.

Thanks Mike. I did wonder if it was underground as there aren't any windows. Just looks like light coming into the building from above. At first I thought it was something to do with the Exchange building. But if it's listed as near Navigation Street it can't be. Thanks for checking it out. Viv.

In the modern Stephenson Street there are two underground car lifts they are next door to Ian Allan book shop there are two lifts both lifts are big enough for a transit van to fit in a car will drive from the street level the lift will then go down one floor (a distance of about twenty five feet or more) the car will then be driven out of the other end of the lift into a basement floor it is a area and can hold about twenty car? or so, you may be about to see the lift entrance with google earth

I suspect that this may be the same area as the photo (till disproved by others)
it is known as Colanade Building failing that where the old Woolworth building was they had a an underground car park there and that could hold about twenty car there

UOTE=Vivienne14;489213]Thanks Mike. I did wonder if it was underground as there aren't any windows. Just looks like light coming into the building from above. At first I thought it was something to do with the Exchange building. But if it's listed as near Navigation Street it can't be. Thanks for checking it out. Viv.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Horsencart. Just catching up on this thread and I've had a look on Streetview. Yes I can see it ....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370419290.594152.jpg
In the second pic (near Navigation Street junction) you can still see evidence of Woolworths in the small top windows of the gym very recognisable Woolworths style. Viv.

The Colonnade Hotel in 1883. It's address was New Street, but this view is the rear view on Stephenson Street. I suspect it looked more impressive from the rear than it did from New Street. It also seems to echo the Exchange Building architecture. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372832938.220916.jpg 1883
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372832963.701548.jpg Present day

This 1907 tinted postcard gives a nice view of the Exchange and shows the rear of the old Midland Bank (now Waterstones). But wonder why there's a fireman's ladder in the centre of Stephenson's Place? Or maybe it's a window cleaner's ladder, plenty of windows to clean around there. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373263109.770787.jpg

Re Fireman's Ladder in centre of Stephenson's Place.
The Ladder is definitely a Fire Service Ladder (50ft Wheeled Escape Ladder) - They were positioned at strategic locations in the City Centre - I have also seen the picture of another one positioned by Jamaica Row.

Thanks Two. Surprised about that. I suppose they could be wheeled to nearby buildings then, but expect they were pretty heavy. Viv.

Two, Would this be the photo of the ladder in Jamaica Row that you refer to?

Attachments

• City Jamaica Row .jpg
    City Jamaica Row .jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
Lovely photo Bernie. You can just make out Woolworth's (rear) to the left. And what a big M & B sign into the Exchange building. Must have been a bar in there, or maybe it was for the function room. And a sweet little bubble car captured there too. Viv.

Back