• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stephenson Street

Ive not bin around much in last few Months , uploading & replying to the threads are so different even no smilings .......... whats bin goin on ........ ragga

Ive not bin around much in last few Months , uploading & replying to the threads are so different even no smilings .......... whats bin goin on ........ ragga

Hello ragga nice to see you back

There is smiley's but they are out tonight they won't even come out for me

Ragga

It was the Exchange Buildings, don't be sad a little change has to come into everyones life. you will soon get used to it.

Phil

03/12/11. I'm not sure if this is the original photo I posted, but it is the same location.

CityStephensonPlace3.jpg

Ragga
In answer to your question as to what was there, looking at the 1956 directory the main part of the buildings in that block was the Exchange Buildings, which were offices. Fronting those going down Stephenson place were in order:
3 Prosser F. H. (Retail) Ltd. chemists
4 Metcalf (A.) & Freeman (A. D.), fruitrs
5 Finlay&Co.Ltd.tobccnsts
6 Birmingham Exchange Postal & Telegraph Office
9 Exchange Restaurant (Mitchells & Butlers Ltd proprs
Then there was the station, queens hotel and ancilliary buildings, which in the photograph still seem to be standing
Mike

Thank you Alf , also to Mikejee & Phil too ... I see now why they named a pub called the Exchange in the corner of the 2nd photo
i use to go in there when i worked on the station 1973-75 Tell me something on the 1st photo where the 3 cars are is that a pub ??
I cant recall one there , i do remember the Iron Horse though which was further back along Stephenson Street.
ragga ....

If one checks out the DJNorton site, and refer to the Leonard Stace photographs of the early 1960's, the Stephenson Street file easily identifies the Exchange from a 100 yard distance.

well i didnt know that...must say they looked good solid buildings....great shame that they were demolished..

lyn

Ragga
The three cars are by the back entrance of the Midland Bank (now Waterstones)/ On directories it is described as "foriegn branch"
mike

Thank you Mikejee .......... looking @ the photo it just seems like a pub to me with its doors closed ................ ragga

i agree Ragga, but that's what the 1956 Kellys says. It could have changed before the picture of course

poiu.jpeg
Looking from New Street down Stephenson Street with the Queens Hotel at the bottom. The Queens was built in or about 1854, this photo was taken in 1964 and the building was closed ready for demolition in 1966.

Good news indeed Stitcher. Hopefully, this new hotel will be stiff competition for the one across the street.

Not seen this view before. It's from a 1918 postcard, Queens and North Western Hotel. According to the pc it was the only railway hotel in Birmingham. I like the GREAT expanse of road fronting the hotel. I suppose this would now be Stephenson Street. Looks almost continental. Now you'd feel you HAD arrived somewhere when you pulled up outside this place. Viv.

Viv - I remember this, but I don't remember it looking quite so large and quite so grand, however, I was born long after 1918. You got to it, and the entrance to the station, along the bit of road that is Stephenson Street, then it turned a corner (still same street name I think). I used to go to Cheltenham often by rail, from New Street, but I think by the time I was travelling on my own, the hotel may have been closed. It's a pity really that it's gone.

Stephenson Street as it is now, being prepared for the Midland Metro

The only hotel down here was the Midland Hotel (now Burlington Hotel).

Back