• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stephen Dennett

W

Wendy

We have found a commemoration on a family headstone at Key Hill Cemetery and, wonder if anyone has any more information.

Stephen Dennett 2nd Lut K.S.L.I. killed in Egypt May 11th 1917 aged 23.

Hi Jenny yes I have done that but wondered if anyone had any more information or even related. There are some brilliant millitary historians on the site. Thanks for the reply Jenny

Hi Wendy: I agree there are people on this forum that might have more information about Stephen Dennett. Hope they see your message and come up with something for you.

DENNETT, STEPHEN HEPWORTH
Second Lieutenant
Royal Flying Corps 23rd Sqdn.
Secondary Regiment:King's Shropshire Light Infantry 8th Bn.
Son of Stephen and Fanny Dennett, of 17, Middleton Hall Rd., King's Norton, Birmingham.
ALEXANDRIA (HADRA) WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

Last edited:
Thanks Terry as always you come up with the goods. This is great information!

349 soho road.Handsworth

Stephen Dennett age 38 B. Birmingham , Grocer and Corn factor
Fanny age 39 b. Lutterworth Leics.
all children born Handsworth
William age 12
Stephen H age 7
Frances age 5
Nora age 3
Twins Constance and Percy b.Dec 1900(4 months)
Mabel smith age 17 b. Evesham servant
Ethel Lawley age 15 b. Smethwick servant.

Stephen Dennett snr. married Emma Fanny Hepworth Dudley,1887 Sept

Thanks to a fellow member of the Great War Forum I also given this information:

2nd Lt Stephen Hepworth Dennet, aged 23, was killed in a flying accident on 11th May 1917 when his aircraft, a BE2e No 6765 collided near Aboukir with the Bristol Scout No C4684, flown by 2nd Lt Ralph Robertson, who also was killed.

Terry

Thanks Alberta, this is very interesting as my gt grandfather came from Lutterworth in Leicestershire the same as Fanny. Probably they were Baptists as well, this is why they were buried at Key Hill next time I visit I will take a photo of the headstone. Thank you for the information.

Terry this is a fantastic piece of information, thank you so much. I think I will put this together for our display on the Heratage Open Day in September. I wonder if there is a photo of this gentleman anywhere?

P.S. Terry can you thank the member on the Great War Forum for this wonderful information, sorry I'm hurrying its my lunch hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy

Hi Wendy, as you can see I have a lot of time to spare !!! The following is information on the other pilot of the other aircraft who once played Rugby for St Kilda, Melbourne, Australia

Ralph Robertson - Second Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, and 8th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. 14 games for the Saints 1899-1900.
Ralph Robertson was born in England circa 1880. He came to Australia when he was two and settled in Melbourne. His early football was with South Beach a local St Kilda side. The Sydney newspaper Referee in an edition in 1917 said that Robertson made his debut with St Kilda in 1899 playing 2 games for the season. In 1900 he played 12 games. He did not play in 1901 moving to Sydney where in 1902 he played Rugby Union for a year. He then played Australian Rules with East Sydney from 1903 – 08 and then North Shore from 1909-14. He was Captain of the New South Wales team at the Carnivals in 1908, 1911 and 1914. Soon after the 1914 Carnival Ralph Robertson enlisted in the Armed services. Robertson initially served with the Australian Flying Corps in New Guinea but after a debilitating illness returned to England to enlist in the 8th Battalion Hampshire Regiment from which he was attached to the Royal Flying Corps. Ralph Robertson was killed in a flying accident in Egypt on May 11 1917. Second Lieutenant Ralph Robertson is buried at the Hadra War Memorial cemetery in Alexandria, Egypt.

Brilliant Terry I think this info will make an interesting piece thank you very much. Now I must go!

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour 1914-18. A Biographical Record of Members of His Majesty's Naval and Military Forces Who Fell in the Great War 1914 1918.

I have no record of him serving in the 2nd B'ham Bn. However his name and address appeared in the Birmingham daily Post of men who applied to volunteer. This was the first week of September, 1914. His address then was 64 Murdoch Road, Handsworth. According to the writing below he served in the 2nd Bham until February 1915.

Last edited:
Terry, I can't thank you enough for all this information its just wonderful, thank you.

Out of interest someone sent me a picture of the plane Stephen would have been flying in!

Back