• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stele on Great King Street

peter card

Lucas Gumshoe
In about 1972 Lucas Industries erected a stone Stele to represent where the front door of their factory in Little King Street used to be before it was demolished in 1967. See attached a c1975 photograph of the Stele. The area has been altered almost beyond recognition. However, the Stele survives. Today it is on the edge of the roundabout 'Lucas Circus'. So does anyone have a good modern photograph of the Stele that I could use in a book I am about to publish ?? Best to all

Stele GKS.jpeg

How good?? this is from google streetview - at least I assume this is it

Attachments

• Lucas stele.JPG
    Lucas stele.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 11
There are a number of online photos but not sure of size or copyright.
Janice Thank you. I was hoping to catch a photographer that has a stock image that I could pay for, but the online images are quite poor with a low pixel rate so not suitable for publications; notwithstanding possible problems with copyright. I do thank you for your interest. All best wishes. P

hi peter at the risk of putting my foot in it surely there are no copyright issues with memorials no doubt someone with know...if you wanted to use someone elses photo in a book then yes i know permission would be needed depending on how old the photo is..mind you my attitude differs from some people...i believe that historical photographs should be shared..ive posted many old original photographs so i own the copyright but i dont care who uses them so long as they give pleasure..i know that my photos have been copied from this forum and posted all over the place but do i care ? short answer is no...life is too short...folk who guard their photos like the holy grail should not post them on the internet as it can just cause problems..just keep them in a box under the bed where no one can see them...moan over..

peter do you live close enough to go down and take your own photograph...if not i am hoping to go down that way sometime next week..i will be happy take a photo for you with my camera...just let me know

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn Thank you, and do not disagree with what you say. But the real problem with internet images are that they are not of a good pixel rate, certainly seldom good enough for publishing in a book. I live in South Oxfordshire. I will if I may ask you to take a photograph, but I currently have Warwick and Oxford universities looking for me, so will speak again in a few days. Thanks again.

Lyn Thank you, and do not disagree with what you say. But the real problem with internet images are that they are not of a good pixel rate, certainly seldom good enough for publishing in a book. I live in South Oxfordshire. I will if I may ask you to take a photograph, but I currently have Warwick and Oxford universities looking for me, so will speak again in a few days. Thanks again.
ok peter i dont know what day it will be but i will do that for you...i am very often down that way as its where i was born and raised and a lot of my family worked at lucas gt king st up until it was sadly demolished so i do have an interest..my brother took some photos of it being demolished

all the best and good luck with the book

lyn

Back