• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steelhouse lane

Well I'd never in a million years have guessed you'd be able to play outdoor chess on the street above that big hole in the ground!! It's almost unrecognisable to me except for the glimpse in the distance of the lower parts of Steelhouse Lane. Although it looks like the 1960s structures to the right have remained. Thanks for posting Ell. Viv.

Yes Phil, seemed no real purpose for the 'hole'. Even the steps up to the Gaumont seemed temporary. If you walked through that subway in winter it was cold and characterless, more often than not with a howling gail blowing through it. I remember the China Garden (was that the name?) at the back of Lewis's in the subway - black painted interior, low level seating, real cheap food like curry and chips - but can't remember a pub. Viv.
image.php

Wow Richie, I can feel the icy wind whistling through that underpass even today! Viv.

Well I'd never in a million years have guessed you'd be able to play outdoor chess on the street above that big hole in the ground!! It's almost unrecognisable to me except for the glimpse in the distance of the lower parts of Steelhouse Lane. Although it looks like the 1960s structures to the right have remained. Thanks for posting Ell. Viv.

Think they completely dug it up in the early 2000s then filled it in. The new square was given a make over last year!

Gets quite busy at weekdays (esp lunchtimes) but quiet at weekends.

You can play chess here

But have only seen people eating their lunch at it!

Another view - but towards Colmore Row with new benches

A couple of views from the Shoothill collection of Galton House on Steelhouse Lane. Not sure where this was, but the second photo seems to show its opposite a pub (pub lamp to right?). Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423498329.854824.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423498343.311501.jpg

Thanks Mike. Thought the Galton's sounded familiar, but couldn't remember in what context or where the discussion was on the Forum. Nice snippet of history on that thread claiming the Lunar men met at the house. Viv.

Great photo Wendy. The Reliance Works (T. E & J Hill) next to the Queen's Head went into liquidation in 1952 according to the 30 December 1952 London Gazette. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423652123.746650.jpg

Spent many an early evening shivering in a bus queue in Steelhouse Lane on the way home from work, waiting for the 65 bus. remember the 64, 65, and 66 buses used to kick off from there on their way to Short Heath, Erdington and Pype Hayes.

I am sure those who used the 2, 78 and 79 route trams got a more frequent service. Anyway there was always a few trams ready or waiting to load in Steelhouse Lane, if I remember correctly.

bit of info here paul but i cant quite figure out if the steel houses mentioned were houses that were lived in or if its the name of where steel items were made...hopefully someone will know which but given that the name kettle is mentioned i think the later reason...

Up to c1700 most new building had been carried out between Edgbaston Street and New Street. After 1700, however, ambitious landowners began to lay out fashionable new estates on the fringes of the built-up area. Building began on former Priory land around St Philips Church which was built from 1711; and the Pemberton estate was laid out during the first two decades of the century with The Square, now Old Square, and surrounding streets consisting of high-quality Georgian houses for wealthy industrialists and gentlemen of independent means. In 1730 the Weaman estate was laid out around Whittall Street. But the new residential developments which were aimed at the increasing middle class and artisan class, were not immune from the proximity of industry the profits of which had caused them to spring into being in the first place: Kettle's Steel Houses had been built on the street named after them by 1731. Much of this district was soon to develop into the Gun Quarter with other central districts becoming increasingly packed with dark dense courts.

Last edited:
Kettle's steelhouses are shown on the 1731 map. It apparently referred to factories which refined Swedish steel in the 18th century, presumably owned by someone called Kettle

1057_a4b2.jpg

great thanks mike...i thought that would be the case...thanks also for the map..very useful...according to the streets of brum books i have steelhouse lane was formally known as white hall lane something i didnt know...

lyn

Last edited:
Hello.
I wonder if anyone can help me at all?
My 5x great grandmother Mary Catley (neé Smith) was listed as a shopkeeper at 73 Steelhouse Lane in 1850 (aged 79) and still in 1852 (aged 81).

I do not know anything about what type of shop she might have had. She was still there to a ripe old age! She died in 1853.

Would anyone one have any information about what type of shop she might have run?

Many thanks.
Becky.

In the 1855 White's directory, Mrs Mary Catley is listed at 106 Steelhouse lane with Ann Catley as a shopkeeper. In addition Ann is listed at the same address as a bleeder with leeches. The post office directory nominally of the same year, just lists Mary at that address. In 1862 just Anne is listed as shopkeeper at 106 Steelhouse lane

An architect's drawing of some new premises in Steelhouse Lane and Upper Priory in 1897. The drawing is from the American Architecture and Building News Oct 1897 edition. Can't place the building at all. Maybe it was never built? Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Lyn. So everything around that corner was swept away by the 1960s, if not before. Just looked back on this thread and the building is in several earlier photos on this thread including this one posted by Mikejee. It has the distinctive tower. The building was discussed and the conclusion seems to be that it was at one time occupied by the Ebeneezer Approved Society. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Interestingly Lyn, your map link shows a hospital in two sections on the opposite corner of the 'Ebeneezer' building. One section backs on to Dr Johnson Passage. Wondering if this was the hospital in use before the General Hospital was built further down Steelhouse Lane. Viv.

On the corner was the children's hospital out patients, and further down was the women's hospital out patients.

map c 1889 showing childrens and womens hospitalout patients.jpg

Mike this falls in line a little about my thread on my gt gt grandfather and Steelhouse Lane and the General HospitalAbel and thomas taylor steelhouse lane 2.JPG

Carolina
I don't think, though stand to be corrected, that the women's or children's hospital were connected to the General Hospital, but were separate.
Regarding the Lench almshouses. they were demolished shortly before the c1889 map, but were between Russell & Loveday streets, and I believe the pink are on the map shows where they had been .

map c 1889 showing probable site of Lench alsmhouses on steelhouse lane.jpg

Two smashing photos of Steelhouse Lane in 1954 (originally posted by Astoness on the 'old street pics' thread). Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 57
Looking up Steelhouse Lane from the police station. Photo looks about 1960s. The old Queens Head building must be on the left (near the right edge of the photo). Viv.

image.jpeg

Back