• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steelhouse lane

Sue
I have to say I cannot remember your dad, although I seem to remember there was a newspaper seller somewhere there, but remember there used to be a lot of newspaper sellers around the city. I used to have to go to the Post Office, over road to get the franking machine filled. Then there was the Bank (Lloyds I think) and also Cranes music shop where I would by my LP's sometimes. Further down was Prana, their cafe upstairs sold the most delicious baked apples with cream! I still have a small ornament of a frog I bought from Prana, must have been about 50 years ago now. At the front of Fountain Court, the first shop on the right was a wonderful place that sold sandwiches and amazing hot sausage rolls. On the left was a small tobacconist, it might have been Preedy's. All they sold were cigarettes. On the corner of Fountain Court and Whittall Street was a dry cleaners. I used to drop my Wrangler jeans off in the morning and they would have them ready for my the same day.
Thank you for replying Sue. I think you would have remembered him, a very pleasant man and he had a bright blue hut. I knew it would be a long shot but felt I had to ask. I remember most of the places you speak about. Wasn’t the sixties a great era. By coincidence dad used to work for Preedys in the afternoon. He would finish his stint in town at eleven am, home for breakfast, or should I say brunch, then off again to Aston ( I think) to deliver stuff for Preedy’s. A hard working man.
This is off thread now, so I hope it is okay to mention. I have seen your posts on the Church Road thread. I lived in Markfield Road for a couple of years from 1967 before getting married. Like you caught the 17/68 bus to work. Mom also bought furniture from Russell’s at the Yew Tree. What a small world. Like a lot of members say on the forum, our paths could have crossed. Regards, Sue

1618234174106.jpeg

My Dad was a mounted policeman for 30 years and often would patrol out of Steelhouse Lane police station, not Dad's horse's favourite station, due to the cobbled streets in that area, especially when wet. Dad's horse Trigger slipped and went down with Dad's styrup trapped between the horse and Dad's ankle, resulting in s snapped ankle bone. I remember Dad saying they took him over to the Accident hospital, and the Irish Sister asked Dad if his boots were his or part of his uniform; when informed part of the uniform, she took a scalpel and ran it down the line of stitching and opened his boot to allow removal.
I remember a pub behind the police station and my brother's bachelor party 45 years ago at 'Time Gentleman call. we went into the back room and continued on drinking once the bar door was shut.' Dad, still a policeman, was amazed that the publican would allow this when virtually next door to a cop shop
My father was a copper n Brum for 30 years, with Steelhouse Lane being his HQ. He was promoted to Inspector in 1946 and became the resident inspector of the Perry Barr Police Station until his retirement. He narrowly escaped a bomb directly hitting the Steelhouse Lane HQ in WWII where several policemen were killed. I spent 12 years in the Perry Barr station, until I was 18. Great memories.
Patrick Downey
Florida, USA

I remember a pub behind the police station and my brother's bachelor party 45 years ago at 'Time Gentleman call. we went into the back room and continued on drinking once the bar door was shut.' Dad, still a policeman, was amazed that the publican would allow this when virtually next door to a cop shop
Would this be Digbeth plice station. I remember being told by someone I worked with, who was the son of a publican, that you could always get a lock in, with police at the pub behind there

My dad was at Steelhouse lane, 1938 1940, 1945 1950, said it was a real Victorian "Lock UP", which ran in a spiral down into the ground, with cells all around. Paul

Back