• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steelhouse Lane Police Station..the End Of An Era

this is brilliant news:)...to me this was a no brainer as the old lock ups was a perfect venue for the new police museum...well done to our very own steveR who i know has worked so hard in trying to secure a new venue..also thanks to corrine brazier from the heritage team..some of our members will have met both steve and corrine at our forum meet ups and at the steelhouse lane open days...(not to be missed folks)

lyn

That's very good, and pretty amazing seeing the prime position in the city, an dthus value of site, and the unpleasant influence of developers

Wow, I'm amazed ! What great news. Well done to those who've made this happen. Viv.

Hello all
So after almost exactly 12 months of fundraising and bidding for Heritage lottery money we have progressed a dream into reality. We will of course need to continue with the open days and talks as we still have lots of money as a contribution to the project to ensure success. Lots of work to do and hopefully we will be successful when we apply for the full grant next spring time.

Both Corinne and myself are extremely happy with the progress which has only been made possible with our new army of volunteers.

Steve R

Hello all
So after almost exactly 12 months of fundraising and bidding for Heritage lottery money we have progressed a dream into reality. We will of course need to continue with the open days and talks as we still have lots of money as a contribution to the project to ensure success. Lots of work to do and hopefully we will be successful when we apply for the full grant next spring time.

Both Corinne and myself are extremely happy with the progress which has only been made possible with our new army of volunteers.

Steve R
Hi Steve
I have noticed some paranormal group doing events in the building, if this is correct can you point me in the right direction please.

Hello all
The lock up building as shown in the sketch (excellent by the way) is that of the building 1892 built to serve the courts and local policing. It remains the same outside today as it was then. Steelhouse Lane Police station was added in 1933 and joined to the side of the lock Up building with the brick work being distinctively different. If anything has changed it will only be Colleridge passage which Eric has now added the gas lamp making it more accurate with the times.
Steve R
Hi Steve
You don’t happen to know of any hidden secrets about the prison! It’s claimed to be haunted so I’m just wondering if there’s any information that you may know of if deaths in the station . Is there any records of what conditions that the prisoners lived like.
I’m just after as much info as possible to be able to find some facts to piece together when I do a final report on my investigation , so named possible dates ! Stories but never proven. Anything please.

Hi Lynn
Thanks for informing us all about the closure of the station ,but i think alot of us was forewarned by the media and the press
yester mail inclusive
with all due respect to you Lyn, how did you get an invite to such a sad day of its closure
when it said only police officiers and there family can only attend and not open to the public
it amazes me how you can get in on these venues and meeting you must have some contacts
any way once again for informing us and we look forewards to your reports and juicy pics
of behind the scenes best wishes Alan, Astonian,,

maybe steelhouse lane locks up has ended but its now official...it will rise again as birminghams new police museum...what a perfect venue it is...well done to inspector steve rice (steveR) and everyone else connected who have strived so hard to gain funding...:):) link below

lyn

Hello all
Some of you will be aware that I have been working with my colleague Corinne on relocating the West Midlands police museum from Sparkhill police station to the former Lock - Up facility in Steelhouse Lane. Moving the museum became necessary following the announcement that Sparkhill PS would be sold as part of the estate rationalisation. For the last 2 1/2 years we have been running events at the Lock- Up to raise funds to make the alterations to the building. Yesterday we also submitted our Round 2 National Heritage Lottery application to secure the main part of the funding. We will have to wait until march to find out if we are successful. We have a great opportunity to preserve a historic part of Birmingham in this grade II listed Victorian facility in the heart of Birmingham. In the meantime though, we will carry on fundraising as we still have some way to go and will look to move the collection across from Sparkhill following a successful bid and renovations.

Our site WMPeelers.com

In the top 5 on trip advisor at the moment

Steve R

Hello all
Some of you will be aware that I have been working with my colleague Corinne on relocating the West Midlands police museum from Sparkhill police station to the former Lock - Up facility in Steelhouse Lane. Moving the museum became necessary following the announcement that Sparkhill PS would be sold as part of the estate rationalisation. For the last 2 1/2 years we have been running events at the Lock- Up to raise funds to make the alterations to the building. Yesterday we also submitted our Round 2 National Heritage Lottery application to secure the main part of the funding. We will have to wait until march to find out if we are successful. We have a great opportunity to preserve a historic part of Birmingham in this grade II listed Victorian facility in the heart of Birmingham. In the meantime though, we will carry on fundraising as we still have some way to go and will look to move the collection across from Sparkhill following a successful bid and renovations.

Our site WMPeelers.com

In the top 5 on trip advisor at the moment

Steve R

hello steve....i know first hand just how much yourself and others are still striving towards securing the old locks ups as birminghams new home for the police museum ..you are a genuine supporter of birminghams historical buildings and making good use of them....good luck with the latest lottery application and continued success with your fund raising open days.....ps can i draw your attention to our new year meet up (details on the forum) on 4th of jan...would love to see both yourself and corrinne there again if time permits

all the best steve

lyn

Congratulations on your Trip Advisor rating Steve. And good luck with the Lottery application. Viv.

hi folks..the older part of the station which was the lock ups opened in 1892 and the newer part opened in 1933 and closes its doors tomorrow and the flag will be lowered...i have been invited to attend the offical closing ceremony and permission given to take photos which i will post on this thread...very sad to see yet another of our well known buildings closing its doors..no idea yet what will become of this fine building but will keep you informed should i find out anything...

lyn
My dad's brother Uncle Almo was a sargeant in steel house lane for a number of years. I do remember going in there one day to visit him. That has to have been in the late 50's, early 60's. Unfortunately I really don't remember much more about him.

I spent 5yrs working at the Lane...F1 ....and 20+ yes or so popping in and out on various enquires ..sad to see a place that was a busy workplace now just empty and quiet apart from the odd ghost

I spent 5yrs working at the Lane...F1 ....and 20+ yes or so popping in and out on various enquires ..sad to see a place that was a busy workplace now just empty and quiet apart from the odd ghost
Did you know Chris Warren Sgt (acting inspector) at the lock up...he lived Gt Barr... he passed away years ago just wondering I went to his funeral... nobody from WMP

No looks like Chris was before my time ..I looked at narpo obituaries he lived till a good she..but left WMP in 1979 .
I imagine he out lived his colleagues as he passed aged 96 it seems ..but what an age

no more plastic mugs of tea and tongue sarnies:grinning: my Dads friend a model enginer worked there locking up people:grinning:

i think we are so lucky that the building is now the new police museum...brings back a bit of life into it

lyn

Back