• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steelhouse Lane Lock Up Visit

Steve R

master brummie
Hello all

Just to let you know that the West Midlands Police museum volunteers will be opening up the lock-up to visitors once again. The date is Saturday the 9th December. This will be the last open day for 2017. An ideal opportunity to visit this Victorian building with many of it's original features still visible. If you have an interest in Victorian architecture, Policing or were a member of staff there, have a look at the below link for additional information.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lock-up-open-day-tickets-40760062444

If you have any photographs of people that worked there we would love to see them and perhaps have a copy as we try to build our file data base up.

Great idea for a Christmas present

Steve Rice

Last edited:
thanks steve...i have also posted this on the events and meet up section...it will be noticed more there....oh while i am here i heard a whisper that the locks ups maybe used as a possible venue for the new police museum...any truth in it steve??

lyn

Lyn
Went to the birmingham history day on saturday, and there was a short piece on the lockup shown (made by "the news team", ) in which they stated that they were hoping to do this. Not sure how old it was (and could notnfind the clip on their website) , but, myself, I am not hopeful, due to the amount the council can hope to get for the land

The 'Lock up' is one of the options that we have and favoured by many but it would need a considerable amount of money to turn it into a museum so this is not a definite location. We are currently seeking funding and have a funding bid under consideration at the moment but realistically we will not have any answers until at least February. Until then we continue to run events to raise funds for our heritage project in order that the museum can make a greater financial contribution.

When I have something more definite I will share immediately, nobody wants this to happen more than i do.

Steve R

many thanks for the update steve...there of lots of like minded people out there who share your passion in finding a new venue for the police museum

all the best

lyn

Back