• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford

Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...

Hi Bernie. My parents owned the grocery shop from 1972 until 1980 when it was knocked down for "road widening". Was called youngs store and we never changed the name. I remember spending my early years playing snooker in Parkinson Cowan club. And went to work there from 1980 to 1987. I wonder if any of my work colleagues are reading this Tony Harris now living in New Zealand...
I too played a bit of snooker both at parkinson cowans and flaxley snooker hall. also worked at parkies and leviss air compressors between 1985 and 1988

I remember the cafe at the top of the hill opposite the Station office. Every sat morning would get a bacon sandwich and play the pinball. There was Steve Perrigo, Dave and a few others. Circa 1972/73
Petes cafe...played pool there as a teenager 79-83

how its changed in 20 yrs. i watched them build the old bailey bridge in cole hall lane

I remember the old bridge before it fell down. A single lane brick built bridge that was slightly arched. One day it was there. A storm overnight - and it was gone!

I lived on station rd opposite Joan Armatrading.in the 70s

Slightly earlier but, looking towards their retirement [a few years henceforth], my parents bought a house opposite the North Star. A three floor building.

My Father then 'tasked' me with the job of re-wiring it. Gulp! I was only about 16 at the time and had previously only 'played' with bits of Electrickery. Fortunately, perhaps, my older sister had married an Electrical Engineer, so I had advice [as to cable specs, etc] at the end of a phone. Although, I don't remember that we had a phone. It must have been 'advice' from a phone box.

Not only was it a rewire but, two bedrooms were destined to be bed-sits, with their own [private] meter and Comsumer Unit, providing lighting, sockets, and a two-ring cooking 'contraption'. I was presented with two meters and told to wire the rooms separately. Socket/Switch 'back boxes' had to be chiselled out by hand. Electric drills, of that period, although present, didn't have 'hammer action'.

My Father, then decided, that in the 'residential' area [of the house], to have fitted a Solid Fuel burner, to provide hot water and supply heating to radiators [to be fitted] in all of the rooms. Guess what. I then needed to become a proficient Plumber also!

How many can remember the 'Floor Board saw' of that era? Placing one's knee in the 'cup' of the implement and then pulling the handle which rotated the blade about 90 degrees. A single cut could take an hour. And there wasn't a 'left-handed version':(. Nowadays, such are electrically driven and provide a Laser line.

Having been past there since, despite my inadequacies, the premises is still standing. So I can't have done much wrong. :cool:

Kids today!...............

Here's a picture of Albert Road showing the houses just south of All Saints Church; the picture was taken about 1888 before the church was built; you can see the sloping roof of the chapel that was there before the church. My grandparents lived in the smallest one, next to the church, from 1894 until about 1900.

Attachments

• 90 Sunnyside.jpg
    90 Sunnyside.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi,

I remember this row of shops very well, from Joyner's cake shop on the left
to Aston's the butcher at the far right on the corner of Lyndon Road.

Aston's door was on the corner, and when he had a new delivery of carcases,
he fitted large hooks into slots in the sides of the doorway, hung them up, and then
chopped them down the back until the 2 halves were separated. I used to watch
this completely fascinated! This would have been in the 1950s,. and I also remember
that he had a candlestick phone in the shop, the only one I remember seeing in use.

Kind regards
Dave

When i was a Schoolboy 1969, 1970´s having a saturday job, summer job at the small Butchers in the corner on Stechford road think it was called Pitt or Pitts, had to do delivery´s on a bike saturday´s. Made me laugh that at the end of the day they put the savings in the oven of the cooker out the back
I think I remember the butchers. It used to have wood shavings on the floor and that characteristic smell - and I seem to remember doors on the floor outside of it that probably went to a cellar? Or am I making that up ha ha!
I have a distinct memory of thinking about Davey Jones from the Monkees when I was outside of it - would they have played music in there I wonder? Or could it have been called Jones at one time?
(In the 60s)

I used to be dragged screaming by my mother to the Atlas cinema, the Beaufort Cinema and the other one on the railway bridge near the Pelham pub to watch dancing and musical films.I now cringe when ever the names Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers and Gene Kelly are mentioned.
OK, nobody mention Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers or Gene Kelly on the forum:)

Back