• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford Train Station

I Do Remember This And A Friend Of Mine Sadly No Longer With Us Was A Very Young Policeman Who Helped Remove The Bodies His Description Of What He Saw Is To Horrorific To Mention Here And I Know He Had Flashbacks For Many Years After.
John

I lived in wyndhurst road at the time.i heard the collision from where i lived.then i heard the sirens of the emergency services.it was sad to hear of the people who were killed.

I was the manager of a electrical retail shop in Stechford, at the time, which was situated just across the road from the station.I was one of the first on the scene and can verify it was quite an horrific sight.

I have never seen the report before, but it does confirm the rumours that circulated at the time, that an engine was travelling the wrong way on the track.
A terrible accident that could have been avoided if rules had been obeyed.

I was a probationary P.C. and was on a training day at Tally Ho. All lectures were stopped and we were paraded on the car park,Told that two busses were on the way to pick us up to take us the Stetchford to help in the clear up.

The busses arrived,we were loaded and ready to leave then we were told to go back to our lecture rooms.

Never found out why.

I'd be interested to hear if there was a big fuss, sackings, threats of manslaughter charges etc. at that time as there have been in the recent train crashes, or was it all simply passed over as an unfortunate accident because it was state owned. E.

Hi Mike G
My Mate Who Was A Young Pc Was Dave Barnett He Was Based In Small Heath At The Time I Think. I Used To Go To The Tally Ho And Watch Him Box For The Police. Sadly He Died A Couple Of Years Ago.

just a schoolboy

I was just a schoolboy in school at bordesley green at the time, but remember going on the number 11 bus to stetchford so that i could gawk as the bus went over the bridge at stetchford station.

Hi Guys i have just tried to log on to an old forum thread done by an old forum member
Namely Ragga but it comes on as nil no story no picture of stechford train station crash
so i am now gonna put some pictures of the train crash on the forum

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 85
Yes it was quite devastating. As a result the railway junction was altered to its present arrangement. The bridge I was told also had to be rebuilt over Albert Road

i remember stechford train crash, at the time i was a black cab taxi driver and i picked up a newspaper reporter and took him to the scene, we went on to the platform and they were searching for the injured ,the place was a hive of activity and yet it seemed so quiet ,a strange sensation. as i passed the waiting room i saw what i think was a couple of bodies on the benches covered over with blankets. could have been my imagination ? were there any fatality's ?

I remember the accident but no details of it. However I was told that it was a Birmingham to London train which from these comments I find was incorrect as it was a Manchester to Coventry train. I don't know in what way the junction has been changed to make it more safe as trains to Aston (normally only freight trains) would still have to cross the line to Coventry.

Ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40180 is seen shunting wagons over the hump into the down goods yard at Stechford on 3rd June 1961. Built as LMS No 180 by Derby works in April 1938, No 40180 remained in service until January1962 when it was withdrawn from 21D Aston shed to be scrapped by Crewe works.
1690838499174.png
warwickshirerailways

invisible.gif

British Railways Standard Class 4MT 2-6-4T No 80039 stands at the down platform on the 12:42pm Coventry to New Street service in June 1959

British Railways Standard Class 4MT 2-6-4T No 80039 stands at the down platform on the 12:42pm Coventry to New Street service in June 195
warwickshirerailways

A three-car Derby lightweight Diesel Multiple Unit stands at Stechford station with the 13:38 pm Birmingham New Street to Rugby service on 16th August 1960
1690839074193.png
warwickshirerailways

Ex-LMS 3MT 2-6-2T No 40180 is seen shunting wagons over the hump into the down goods yard at Stechford on 3rd June 1961. Built as LMS No 180 by Derby works in April 1938, No 40180 remained in service until January1962 when it was withdrawn from 21D Aston shed to be scrapped by Crewe works.
View attachment 182564
warwickshirerailways
Can smell the steam & smoke from here! :)

View attachment 182564
warwickshirerailways
This is what the same site looks like today - track long gone but bridge, walls and houses behind still intact:-
1690873187222.png
1690872923666.png

1690873008414.png
1690873091866.png

And this is the view from the other side of the bridge:-
1690873305905.png

Back