• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford - The Village

Just found this site. Tibbles was mentioned news wear shop, it was formerly the post office before that moved along Albert rd. Tibbles

Les Tibbles mens wear shop (not news wear as above) opened In1948, the Anderson's lived at rear and above the shop, Annette, Alex and another brother were the siblings they moved shortly after the shop opened. Walkers was the electric shop next to Out Door, a t.v was supplied and fitted to my father's house after dad rang Mr Walker early on the day after sutton coldfield opened, (1948?) All fitted and working later that day, muffin the mule was the first thing we saw on the screen. Before Derrings opened there was a cafe there, Mrs Smith' ran it. Next to them was a shoe shop Mrs lazenby was owner, next to them Nesbitt's sweet shop and then news agents, Miss Davies worked there.then hair dressers then the dairy next to school. Opposite was haberdressery shop run by Miss Bradbury. Then Mrs Hens, sewing machines and dolls prams etc. On the corner of Albert road and Lyttleton road was a big old house that was the doctors surgery and home , think that was demolished late 40s or early 50s and land was incorporated into corpus christ's school grounds. Constable Barker , later Sgt, used to do school crossing.
Teachers at school Miss Taylor and Mrs Evan's, we were allowed out to play even when snow and ice was on playgroup, and we used to have a big slide of ice , and we were watched over by teachers . At back of school there was air aid shelters. Names I remember Hilda and June Ward, Molly Archer, Pat, Gillian and Alan Tibbles, Ken Hartley.

Thanks Dennis. The YWCA is as I remeber it too. We used to walk on the wall if we were early waiting for the doors to open before Guide or Brownie meetings. I wonder how long the lamp outside the Richmond would last these days. What year was the picture of All Saints taken? I notice that the centre window is the one Fred Onions bequeathed to the church c1968. No traffic to speak of either!

batmadviv
Hi Batmadiv
Just found this thread about Stechford .
Fred O’Nions was my great Uncle - I grew up in Stechford , lived in Yardley Fields Road from 1960 - 1979,
Nick O’Nions

Hi,

Was Fred O'Nions by any chance an Insurance man. We lived in Frederick Road in the
1950s/60s, and a Mr O'Nions used to collect premiums from us.

I also remember June Ward, - lived pretty well opposite Dr. Segal's in Victoria Road.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Was Fred O'Nions by any chance an Insurance man. We lived in Frederick Road in the
1950s/60s, and a Mr O'Nions used to collect premiums from us.

I also remember June Ward, - lived pretty well opposite Dr. Segal's in Victoria Road.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave
Well not to my knowledge (unless he did it in his spare time).
I was only about 10 when I knew him but from what I can remember he was a builder. He was my Grandfather’s brother. My father bought my Grandfather’s house off him in Yardley Fields Rd in 1960.

There are 22 images related to Stechford and entitled the 'lost images' in the forum's Coppermine Image host ... two random ones I've pulled out below ... click to enlarge

Albert Rd Stechford 1952
Albert_Road%2C_Stechford%2C_1952.jpg

Albert Rd Stechford Holtoms Bakery vans
the first car/van i had was one of he morris 8 ex GPO vans

There was a shop keeper in albert rd that died,( i want give his name.) he left thousands of pounds of cash under the floor boards, he did not trust banks.

Hi Batmadiv
Just found this thread about Stechford .
Fred O’Nions was my great Uncle - I grew up in Stechford , lived in Yardley Fields Road from 1960 - 1979,
Nick O’Nions
Nick, I have a picture in my my memory of a tallish, slim, grey haired gentleman that may have been Mr. O’Nions. I think he was a church warden.
Vivienne

Nick, I have a picture in my my memory of a tallish, slim, grey haired gentleman that may have been Mr. O’Nions. I think he was a church warden.
Vivienne
At junior school, Mapledene Road, Sheldon in the 1950s there was an assistant teacher named Miss or Mrs O'nions, would she be any relation to your family?

Vivienne
Hi Vivienne ,
Well he was certainly very tall and a bit on the lanky side but not sure if he was ever a Church Warden (not impossible as I was very young then and he could have done a variety of different things)

At junior school, Mapledene Road, Sheldon in the 1950s there was an assistant teacher named Miss or Mrs O'nions, would she be any relation to your family?
Hi , I don’t recollect having any close relations that would have been a schoolteacher at Sheldon - could be related somehow though- it’s quite a rare name!!

Nick, the church was All Saints, Albert Road. From your description it sounds like it was the same gentleman. The vicar at that time was David Sansome.

Some parts seem to be Lyn, but there's been a modern extension and what looks like an earlier partial rebuild. I wondered if it had suffered WW2 bomb damage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231115_210347_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231115_210347_Maps.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 18
No bomb damage, but various improvements, alterations and extensions according to British History Online:

"STECHFORD COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Albert Road. Stechford Infants' Sch. opened 1894 by Yardley Sch. Bd. in All Saints' Sunday School. A.a. 1895: 42.New sch., accom. 396 M, I, built early 1896, but opening postponed because of local opposition until Oct. Enlarged 1906. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Site enlarged 1920. Altered, enlarged and reorganized 1928 for JI. Accom. for 1 class in All Saints' Sunday Sch. provided 1952. Accom. 1961: 11 classrooms, hall."

Hi,
Apologies to Dennis, and thanks; today's the first time I've logged on since before Christmas so I didn't see the excellent pictures of Francis Road & Morden Road until now. Brilliant shots of the elegant houses and the rolling fields that truly made Stechford a village at the time.
I remember a lot of the shops. Up the alleyway and to the left was the greengrocer, to the right a grocer's and then two butcher's shops, one of which was the pork butcher, then Deering's, I think, then the sweet shop, the newsagents and another shop that changed hands a few times.
Opposite that was the haberdashery where my mother used to buy so many things - ribbons, underwear, gloves, elastic - all kept in row upon row of pull-out drawers. I loved that shop, they seemed to sell so many different things.
Angela
My dad used to work as a driver for a chap called Gordon Waldron who used to own a green grocers shop on Station Road it was called Loves of Stechford, as well as selling fruit and veg at Stechford he used to supply school kitchens and works canteens and hotels with fruit and veg, after a few years he moved to bigger premises opposite Hardy Spicers on the Chester Rd by where Mcdonalds is now, just a snippet of information.

Hello, it's lovely to see these photos. My father's family lived in Hillbrook Grove from somewhere around 1950 to at least the early 70s (I'm not sure exactly when the family left). I know my father Terry (Mann) was involved in the Scouts somewhere though I'm not sure what unit and reading back through the thread is seems my Grandma was involved in the Brownies/Guides at some point (batmadiv mentioned remembering my Auntie Avis (Mann) several pages back!).

My late brother Gordon lived in Stoney Lane, when he moved in it was Stechford but later they changed the address to Yardley, same house.
Anyone in that location? I've lost touch with Betty his widow and wonder what's happened to her.

My late brother Gordon lived in Stoney Lane, when he moved in it was Stechford but later they changed the address to Yardley, same house.
Anyone in that location? I've lost touch with Betty his widow and wonder what's happened to her.
All connections with Stoney Lane are long gone. Sorry cannot help you.

Lyn, I was married at All Saints Church almost 54 years ago. Same husband that you met when we visited you.
Hi
These posts bring back so many happy memories for me. I lived in Francis Road from about 1961 - 1982. The haberdashery shop in Albert Road was bought by Sylvia Hood where my Mom worked when my sister and I were at the Primary School (which incidentally my Mom went to as well) in fact we went to the 100 year celebration there. I remember all the shops you mention - my Dad use to buy his cars off Tom Deering and I had my first car off him too. My sister and I both worked at Barnetts stacking the shelves after school for the Oakleys. The Post Office was across the road and the launderette. A little way along from that was Phillips Electrical who rented TV along with the outdoor which sold sherry etc - I can still remember that smell today. I could ramble on for ages about the specific school teachers of the time and the bungalow at the end of Francis Road where they kept the swingaboats - which we use to have a go on. I remember we use to buy tomatoes off them too. Dancing with Uncle Frank to The "Gay Gordons" at the YWCA on a Saturday morning! I won't bore you any longer ha ha. Lovely to hear all your stories.

Not boring at all Claire and Julie ! We love to read the memories our members have of Birmingham places. So feel free to tell as much as you want. It helps to spark memories from other members too. Thanks for posting.

Back