• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford - The Village

I have just found this site by accident and so pleased I have, we lived at 36 Francis Road from 1954 to 1969, and went to the primary school, Judith Oakes must have been in my class, but I don't remember her, some of the names I recall are, sorry in advance for any I get wrong, David Shorthouse, Stephen Ketley, Alan Dews, and my best friend John Watts who lived at 33, he had a cousin Fred Williams, also remember from my class Pamela Hemphill, Veronica Hicks, and Christine Smith whose mum was the crossing lady for the school.The teachers were Mr Partridge, Miss Lomax, and I think the head was Miss Lapworth, also Mr Cummings, and I can't remember his name but he had white hair and ginger fingers where he smoked so much. Also remember David Stokes whose mum was I think a dinner lady, David was younger and I think he was in the same class as my brother, whose claim to fame was that he broke his arm on a slide we made on the frost in the school playground.Also remenber the Beards at 45, Maurice was about the same age as me and had an older brother and sister and a younger sister who was born in Francis Road.John Watts had a sister Joy, and I can remember when we were a bit older John and my brother and I went to the New Forest on our scooters and stayed with John's mum and sister in their caravan. We moved to Sussex in 1969, and although I have been back a few times, I lost touch with John although the last I heard he was a teacher in Sheffield, and my mum now 93, still kept in touch with his mum until recently. Other names were Mr and Mrs Pummell who lived at 34, and Mrs White who lived at 32, also seeem to remember Alison Hjelter and Yvonne Young lived in Francis Road not sure exactly where
Bashthedog, welcome to the Forum, a great place and people, enjoy!

Bashthedog, welcome to the Forum, a great place and people, enjoy!
The teacher with nicotine stained hands was Mr Ebrey. He was my teacher when I was 8 years old. Alison Hjelter is my sister. Well remembered, particularly the spelling! I recognise some of the names you mentioned.
Regards,
Batmadviv

Hello batmadviv
Thank you for the reply, yes that was the teacher I was thinking of, I have had a rethink and the girl whose mum was the lollipop lady was I think Gillian not Christine, the Christine was I think Christine Meadows. Anyway Stechford Primary School did a pretty good job for me,as I can remember sitting the entrance exam to King Edwards which mercifully I failed, but having passed the eleven plus I was despatched to Camp Hill boys,mainly I suspect as a result of parental education ambition , Camp Hill has been covered by others in a different thread, and although before my time I identify with most of the suffering mentioned, with hindsight I realise that this was the most miserable years of my life so far, I managed to remain in the bottom 5 on most reports and apart from sport hated my time at that school,it was a great relief to me, and to the school, I suspect, when I departed having scraped together a motley collection of 5 O levels.
Back to Stechford , and I particularly remember the outside toilets, and the Air Raid Shelters, also the Christmas parties, where we all had to take our plates, bowls spoons etc with our names on them, and not sure if it was Christmas or end of summer terms when the teachers would show black and white films like Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy.

Hello,
I had relatives who lived at ‘ The Hollies ‘ Albert Road Stechford.
The person I am trying to trace is Lilian Amy Louise Hills living there around 1907.
As important, is the location of The Hollies home, I have looked on street view but
have been unable to find it.
if any of you lovely people could find Lilian or the location of the Hollies, I would be so
grateful.

Thank you Pauline.

Just found this site. Tibbles was mentioned news wear shop, it was formerly the post office before that moved along Albert rd. Tibbles

Les Tibbles mens wear shop (not news wear as above) opened In1948, the Anderson's lived at rear and above the shop, Annette, Alex and another brother were the siblings they moved shortly after the shop opened. Walkers was the electric shop next to Out Door, a t.v was supplied and fitted to my father's house after dad rang Mr Walker early on the day after sutton coldfield opened, (1948?) All fitted and working later that day, muffin the mule was the first thing we saw on the screen. Before Derrings opened there was a cafe there, Mrs Smith' ran it. Next to them was a shoe shop Mrs lazenby was owner, next to them Nesbitt's sweet shop and then news agents, Miss Davies worked there.then hair dressers then the dairy next to school. Opposite was haberdressery shop run by Miss Bradbury. Then Mrs Hens, sewing machines and dolls prams etc. On the corner of Albert road and Lyttleton road was a big old house that was the doctors surgery and home , think that was demolished late 40s or early 50s and land was incorporated into corpus christ's school grounds. Constable Barker , later Sgt, used to do school crossing.
Teachers at school Miss Taylor and Mrs Evan's, we were allowed out to play even when snow and ice was on playgroup, and we used to have a big slide of ice , and we were watched over by teachers . At back of school there was air aid shelters. Names I remember Hilda and June Ward, Molly Archer, Pat, Gillian and Alan Tibbles, Ken Hartley.

Thanks Dennis. The YWCA is as I remeber it too. We used to walk on the wall if we were early waiting for the doors to open before Guide or Brownie meetings. I wonder how long the lamp outside the Richmond would last these days. What year was the picture of All Saints taken? I notice that the centre window is the one Fred Onions bequeathed to the church c1968. No traffic to speak of either!

batmadviv
Hi Batmadiv
Just found this thread about Stechford .
Fred O’Nions was my great Uncle - I grew up in Stechford , lived in Yardley Fields Road from 1960 - 1979,
Nick O’Nions

Hi,

Was Fred O'Nions by any chance an Insurance man. We lived in Frederick Road in the
1950s/60s, and a Mr O'Nions used to collect premiums from us.

I also remember June Ward, - lived pretty well opposite Dr. Segal's in Victoria Road.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

Was Fred O'Nions by any chance an Insurance man. We lived in Frederick Road in the
1950s/60s, and a Mr O'Nions used to collect premiums from us.

I also remember June Ward, - lived pretty well opposite Dr. Segal's in Victoria Road.

Kind regards
Dave
Hi Dave
Well not to my knowledge (unless he did it in his spare time).
I was only about 10 when I knew him but from what I can remember he was a builder. He was my Grandfather’s brother. My father bought my Grandfather’s house off him in Yardley Fields Rd in 1960.

There are 22 images related to Stechford and entitled the 'lost images' in the forum's Coppermine Image host ... two random ones I've pulled out below ... click to enlarge

Albert Rd Stechford 1952
Albert_Road%2C_Stechford%2C_1952.jpg

Albert Rd Stechford Holtoms Bakery vans
the first car/van i had was one of he morris 8 ex GPO vans

There was a shop keeper in albert rd that died,( i want give his name.) he left thousands of pounds of cash under the floor boards, he did not trust banks.

Hi Batmadiv
Just found this thread about Stechford .
Fred O’Nions was my great Uncle - I grew up in Stechford , lived in Yardley Fields Road from 1960 - 1979,
Nick O’Nions
Nick, I have a picture in my my memory of a tallish, slim, grey haired gentleman that may have been Mr. O’Nions. I think he was a church warden.
Vivienne

Nick, I have a picture in my my memory of a tallish, slim, grey haired gentleman that may have been Mr. O’Nions. I think he was a church warden.
Vivienne
At junior school, Mapledene Road, Sheldon in the 1950s there was an assistant teacher named Miss or Mrs O'nions, would she be any relation to your family?

Vivienne
Hi Vivienne ,
Well he was certainly very tall and a bit on the lanky side but not sure if he was ever a Church Warden (not impossible as I was very young then and he could have done a variety of different things)

Back