• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford - The Village

Just found this picture of Holtom's around 1930. Though chocolate is advertised in the window, I think I can see loaves.

maria
Hi Maria,

Yes, Holtom's was a Bakery and Confectioner (No 182 Albert Road). Harry Holtom was my Great Grandfather - you will see other photos on this thread of him standing in front of the shop with his fleet of delivery vehicles. I've attached a snapshot from Google street view of what the shop looks like now. The buildings to the left were knocked down and new ones built in the last couple of years, but the old bakery is still there (now a Vaping shop).

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.57.17 PM.png

There was a grocers in that line of shops., when he died,they found hundred of pounds under his floorboards.
did your grandads bakery change name? and what become of deerings garage?

Hi All, have been tidying in mom and dads loft and came across these postcards of Corpus Christi - not sure of the dates - but dad remembers it like this when he was an altar boy. Sorry haven't got nay newer ones for comparisonthough.
Dads family were devout Catholics although his dad was not quite so devout, preferring to spend time in the Richmond with the shop-keepers, Mr Smith the greengrocer, Mr Hunt the shoe mender and Mr Spann the sweetshop owner!
The group picture we think is of members of the church, my great aunts are on the back row and dad says the man in shorts on the left as you lookat the photo is Tom Cheshire who ran the Scout group.
We have also found photos of Fr Norman Davitt who was a missionary who looked ,like Jesus, I remembr thinkiing Jesus had come to visit when he came to my Great Aunts house. Dad was friends with his brother Gerard, they played football together.
Hope they might bring back memories for some of you,
Sue
I’m late finding this. I’d love to see the photos. I knew Fr Davitt who was a missionary priest and knew Tom Cheshire who was a convert to Catholicism and was MC when I was a young altar boy at Corpus Christi.

Hi All, have been tidying in mom and dads loft and came across these postcards of Corpus Christi - not sure of the dates - but dad remembers it like this when he was an altar boy. Sorry haven't got nay newer ones for comparisonthough.
Dads family were devout Catholics although his dad was not quite so devout, preferring to spend time in the Richmond with the shop-keepers, Mr Smith the greengrocer, Mr Hunt the shoe mender and Mr Spann the sweetshop owner!
The group picture we think is of members of the church, my great aunts are on the back row and dad says the man in shorts on the left as you lookat the photo is Tom Cheshire who ran the Scout group.
We have also found photos of Fr Norman Davitt who was a missionary who looked ,like Jesus, I remembr thinkiing Jesus had come to visit when he came to my Great Aunts house. Dad was friends with his brother Gerard, they played football together.
Sue

hi sue if you are still looking in on the forum would you be able to re post your photos please...as you know the forum was hacked in 2011 resulting in the loss of all of our images...thanks sue

lyn

Sue

Sue...This is the Buffs in the Richmond Gents Only....and I think Mr Spann, the sweetshop owner, is in this pic somewhere...at least my old Dad said he was....he's in the corner seat....Scanned Image 31.jpeg

Hi batmadviv (and Angela!) I'm really glad I found this forum (researching my family online!) and was hoping I could get some info from you all. My mother was Judith Oakes, and my gran Margaret Oakes who worked at Deerings on Albert Road (I didn't know this until I read your post!).

They lived at 7 Morden Road. I'm not sure of dates, though my mum was born in 1952 and was friends with the Tabberer sisters Anne & Jillian. I knew Anne as a child, she used to take care of my grandad after Margaret passed away. I would love to know more about my mum and Gran's life - Margaret passed away when I was very young though I remember her as very jolly and always smiling though she was unwell, and Mum died of MND in 2008.

She didn't talk about her childhood much, so I never really knew her background, though we used to visit Stechford every year when we were at school throughout the 90s. Haven't been back for years, though I have fond memories of the River Cole bridge in the playing fields (where we would play poohsticks!) and trainspotting at Stechford station with Grandad. I remember panting up all those steps as a kid!

Here's a picture of Margaret and a souvenir from Deerings. I have lots more photos I can dig out, and I'd be happy to share them if anyone is interested.
IMG_2742.JPGIMG_2741 (1) (1).jpg

Thanks for posting the photos of Corpus Christi Sister Sue. My grandparents Eva Clarke and John McCourt were married there in the early 1930's.

Hi batmadviv (and Angela!) I'm really glad I found this forum (researching my family online!) and was hoping I could get some info from you all. My mother was Judith Oakes, and my gran Margaret Oakes who worked at Deerings on Albert Road (I didn't know this until I read your post!).

They lived at 7 Morden Road. I'm not sure of dates, though my mum was born in 1952 and was friends with the Tabberer sisters Anne & Jillian. I knew Anne as a child, she used to take care of my grandad after Margaret passed away. I would love to know more about my mum and Gran's life - Margaret passed away when I was very young though I remember her as very jolly and always smiling though she was unwell, and Mum died of MND in 2008.

She didn't talk about her childhood much, so I never really knew her background, though we used to visit Stechford every year when we were at school throughout the 90s. Haven't been back for years, though I have fond memories of the River Cole bridge in the playing fields (where we would play poohsticks!) and trainspotting at Stechford station with Grandad. I remember panting up all those steps as a kid!

Here's a picture of Margaret and a souvenir from Deerings. I have lots more photos I can dig out, and I'd be happy to share them if anyone is interested.
View attachment 144199View attachment 144201

Hello Hannissey,

Sorry for the tardy reply but have not been on the forum recently.

I remember Judith Oakes as she was my younger sister’s age and Margaret who worked at Deering’s. Margaret used All Saints’ church as did we as a family. We lived at 47 Francis Road which overlooked the rear of Tommy Deering’s garage with the gully in between our back gate and Deering’s yard.

I think Judith was in Brownies with my sister who went on to run the Brownie pack at All Saints’ church.

Stechford Village had changed such a lot the last time I visited the area which must be 15 years ago.

Batmadviv

Hello Hannissey,

Sorry for the tardy reply but have not been on the forum recently.

I remember Judith Oakes as she was my younger sister’s age and Margaret who worked at Deering’s. Margaret used All Saints’ church as did we as a family. We lived at 47 Francis Road which overlooked the rear of Tommy Deering’s garage with the gully in between our back gate and Deering’s yard.

I think Judith was in Brownies with my sister who went on to run the Brownie pack at All Saints’ church.

Stechford Village had changed such a lot the last time I visited the area which must be 15 years ago.

Batmadviv
I was born in 1944 at 66 Francis Road the one with the large balcony round it and Ralph Meredith lived couple of doors away. My Mon and Dads name was Jim and Marjorie Beard and sister Jennifer was 5 then But do not remember much as we moved to Castle Bromwich 1952

Hello Beardy,
Although my grandparents and some of their adult children lived at no. 47 from just before the end of the war I didn’t live there until 1952 just before my 4th birthday.
Another family called Beard lived a few doors from 47, possibly no. 45 next door. Mr Beard was a butcher and no. 49 was the reception teacher at Stechford Primary School 3 doors away.

Just found this picture of Holtom's around 1930. Though chocolate is advertised in the window, I think I can see loaves.

maria
That’s amazing! My dad was 4th generation of bakers and a Holtom too! His branch of the family started out in Sparkhill in the late 1800’s. I’m sure there’s a connection to be found! Wonderful photograph!

I remember Ray Parfitt. A big Welshman. He was an Inspector at Washwood Heath nick and lived in one of the Police houses just by Hay Mill Police Station. A very likeable bloke.

Does anyone remember Mc Knabbs [sp.] Ices opposite the swimming baths? I used to know the daughter of the family. I think I went to school with her. Although it was called Mc Knabbs, I think the family name was Pierce. Many years later I went to live in Station Road. I've often wondered what happened to her. And, of course, Station Road is noted for being the home of the singer Joan Armatrading. Somewhere between the Baths and YF Rd, IIRC.
I remember the ice cream shop opposite the baths. The owner at the time was Bill Preece.

I've really enjoyed reading these posts. I remember the small garage 'Shakespeares' at the end of Yardley Fields Road, by the cenotaph. Also 'Tibbles' the mens clothes shop in the Village. I lived in Lyttelton Road before moving to Yardley Fields Road. I went to Bierton Road School in the 1950s.

View attachment 144199View attachment 144201
The photograph is a young version of the Margaret I knew when she worked at Deering’s. She was such a lovely kind helpful lady. She used to attend All Saints church in Albert Road as did my family who lived in Francis Road. My bedroom used to look out on to the back of Deering’s garage.
Regards,
Viv

Sorry no date for this one. Perhaps the reference to “Market Parade” refers to its history and it once being a market place ? Looks tranquil. Viv.

2E6BA57F-0A2F-49B8-98EF-C50772AAEF2C.jpeg

I have just found this site by accident and so pleased I have, we lived at 36 Francis Road from 1954 to 1969, and went to the primary school, Judith Oakes must have been in my class, but I don't remember her, some of the names I recall are, sorry in advance for any I get wrong, David Shorthouse, Stephen Ketley, Alan Dews, and my best friend John Watts who lived at 33, he had a cousin Fred Williams, also remember from my class Pamela Hemphill, Veronica Hicks, and Christine Smith whose mum was the crossing lady for the school.The teachers were Mr Partridge, Miss Lomax, and I think the head was Miss Lapworth, also Mr Cummings, and I can't remember his name but he had white hair and ginger fingers where he smoked so much. Also remember David Stokes whose mum was I think a dinner lady, David was younger and I think he was in the same class as my brother, whose claim to fame was that he broke his arm on a slide we made on the frost in the school playground.Also remenber the Beards at 45, Maurice was about the same age as me and had an older brother and sister and a younger sister who was born in Francis Road.John Watts had a sister Joy, and I can remember when we were a bit older John and my brother and I went to the New Forest on our scooters and stayed with John's mum and sister in their caravan. We moved to Sussex in 1969, and although I have been back a few times, I lost touch with John although the last I heard he was a teacher in Sheffield, and my mum now 93, still kept in touch with his mum until recently. Other names were Mr and Mrs Pummell who lived at 34, and Mrs White who lived at 32, also seeem to remember Alison Hjelter and Yvonne Young lived in Francis Road not sure exactly where

Back