• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stechford - The Village

I have loved this thread, and the linked one, as I lived in Lyndon Road from 1947 - 1957. Love the photos of Corpus Christi, I went to school there and made my first Holy Communion there as well. Such memories .... I have written some down so that the Grandchildren, should they ever want to, will be able to know about my life. My Dad was the Park Keeper at Manor Road Recreation Ground for years, even after we left the area.
Thank you everyone for the memories ....

There are 22 images related to Stechford and entitled the 'lost images' in the forum's Coppermine Image host ... two random ones I've pulled out below ... click to enlarge

Albert Rd Stechford 1952

Thank you oldMohawk, I managed to find some of the photos :)

Does anyone remember Miss Davies who lived in a big house down the 'road' that ran alongside the pub at the top of the hill in Yardley Fields Road? You could walk along the 'road' to the park and her house was on that corner. She had loads of cats and us children all called her 'the witch', but she wasn't obviously, just a very old wrinkled lady who had lost her teeth and family.
.... and then there was the Coronation fancy dress party ...

Hi

Yep Dads house in Rosemary Road backed against the Huge gate that was an entrance into the site. it seemed to be some sought of
Laboratory. What went on in there I never new. On occasions the huge gates opened and Cars came out. We once went in it was over grown
the Laboratories were of Military single story blocks.

Mike Jenks

Hi

Yep the Station in the 50,s with a Train at the Station. Sadly lost in a fire
never re-built always in a mess.

Attachments

• stechford5.jpg
    stechford5.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 45
Church Choir.jpg

I believe this is All Saints, Stechford, in the 1930s.
A relative, Gordon Kemp, was in the choir - I don't know what the occasion was.
Could any one say if it is that church?
maria

I knew this area well, as relatives lived on Bordesley Green East...I remember the Post Office, the shop that sold wallpaper and paint, a little sweet shop, and a pet shop near the end of Albert Road. And the hairdresser's where the relatives used to go every Saturday!

Have just been looking through the thread, and can remember The Atlas. My sister lived just beyond it in Mears Drive, a new road, I think (new houses, anyway).

The Richmond is now a huge medical centre or polyclinic, I think. My cousin's husband, Sid Neville, used to go there quite a lot in the '60s/70s.

maria

image.jpeg Here's a photo of the church in 1909 on Albert Road. Little changed surprisingly, although the high wall and railings have been removed and now there's a low wall and railings in front of the church. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

An image of the Village, Stetchford. Looks about c 1910s. A lot going on in this scene. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 81
I remember taking my Post Office savings book into that Post Office in the 1960s (if it was still in the same place). Hard to recall the surrounding shops.

maria

I remember taking my Post Office savings book into that Post Office in the 1960s (if it was still in the same place). Hard to recall the surrounding shops.

maria

Hi Maria,

Definitely not that one, I think that was roughly where the off licence was in the 1960s.
You may remember that the post office was at one end of a row of premises which included
a vet, and a hardware shop(I think it was either Turners or Tilmans- I always get it mixed up
with the one in Station Rd) at the other end of the block. This block was set back from the
pavement and is roughly where the small group are standing in the centre of the photo.
The post office in the 60s was at the furthest end of the set back from the shops in the
Picture.

Kind regards

Dave

It's hard to remember, Dave, but I think I recall a pet shop somewhere? We used to visit relatives every Saturday afternoon, and often used to go into the village. The vet you mention was probably where the relatives used to take their dog, come to think of it. The village seemed quite genteel in those days, and as if you could buy anything you needed there!

maria

It's hard to remember, Dave, but I think I recall a pet shop somewhere? We used to visit relatives every Saturday afternoon, and often used to go into the village. The vet you mention was probably where the relatives used to take their dog, come to think of it. The village seemed quite genteel in those days, and as if you could buy anything you needed there!

maria

Hi Maria

The pet shop was pretty well opposite the vet. The shops on that side were divided by an entry with
Holtom's bakery on the left and a greengrocer to the right, Also on the right were the pet shop, Oakleys store
and Barretts. The far end of the left hand block was a paper shop, next to Albert Road School.

Kind regards

Dave

Thanks, Dave, I can visualise a bit of that. Certainly I can remember some shops being set back. I was there about twenty years ago, and it seemed quite different.

maria

I remember Holtom's as a baker's shop. I was at Stechford Primary School just a few yards along the road with the granddaughter of the baker in the 1950s. Happy days. It was such a lovely village in those days.
batmadviv

There are 22 images related to Stechford and entitled the 'lost images' in the forum's Coppermine Image host ... two random ones I've pulled out below ... click to enlarge

Albert Rd Stechford 1952

Albert Rd Stechford Holtoms Bakery vans
Hi OldMohawk, Harry Holtom was my Great Grandfather - thanks for sharing the photo of him with the vans in front of the bakery at No 182. Seems a shame that this is now a Vaping shop!

Back