• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

It might be simpler if you get Diane to change her set up so she can get messages (called a conversation) on here. They are private and only you two will be able to see them.
If she clicks on her name at the top right of the page and goes to privacy she can then select "start conversations" (see view below). You will then be able to message her. Good luck.
1621621167306.png

It might be simpler if you get Diane to change her set up so she can get messages (called a conversation) on here. They are private and only you two will be able to see them.
If she clicks on her name at the top right of the page and goes to privacy she can then select "start conversations" (see view below). You will then be able to message her. Good luck.
View attachment 157301
Thanks Janice. We knew each other when we were young & it’d be good to have a catch up.

Diane, I’ve had no joy finding you on FB. Can’t understand
Diane, I’ve had no joy finding you on FB. Can’t understand why.

pjmburns

master brummie​

1621621167306.png

Hope this is useful.

Yes. I’ve only found one with the poster but it also had a photo on. Have you tried changing your settings on here to allow messaging on this site?

If all else fails - Diane, I think you should be able to message Ann with an email address.
Click of her name next to her avatar and then "start conversation". Can't think why I didn't suggest that before.
Good luck.

If all else fails - Diane, I think you should be able to message Ann with an email address.
Click of her name next to her avatar and then "start conversation". Can't think why I didn't suggest that before.
Good luck.
Thank you So much for your help. I've now tried this so hopefully, we're all set.

Hi Jason,

You were obviously there quite a while after me. But I do remember the names of the teachers.
There was Miss Jacques who taught the very young kids in the House, the next teacher was
Miss Bixby, followed by Miss or was it Mrs Mansell, and for the eldest Mrs Patterson. There was also
a Miss Sims who I believe was related to the owners, but their name escapes me. Was it Mr and Mrs
Farmer? I wonder if any of them were still there when you attended.

Incidentally, I think the pole and attachments you can see behind the building is actually a telegraph pole.
There were signals at the end of the platforms, but would not have been visible in that picture.
The main signals were on the other side of Albert Road at the junction of the New St. and Aston Lines.

Kind regards
Dave
I was there from about 1953 or 4 until 1958. Claudia Sims was the daughter of the owners I seem to remember, they were the Farmers. I assume now she must have been married at some point to have a different surname. I remember her as quite strict. My favourite teacher was my first, a Miss Davis I think who I told my Mum had ‘custard hair’ so she must have been a blond!
i remember once seeing a large fire at the station Building. They never rebuilt it properly but just patched up the roof. Also the time a double decker went under the railway bridge at the bottom of the playing field and removed its top floor! Fortunately it was empty! I still remember the noise.

I have also just spotted, looking at it again, that the railway signals of the Stechford stretch of the railway line into Birmingham are clearly visible in the background. If anybody would like to swap memories of Hudson House School, Stechford please fire away. I loved it. I only know of one single member of my alumni, I would like to discover more.
Just found this picture. I think I took it on my last day at Hudson House which would have been in June 1958. It shows mates of mine none of whom I can now remember the names of and Claudia Sims. Taken in the school grounds.9020F841-830F-4AC9-A461-ED1F6A3FB75A.jpeg

Hi Huntleycat,

Going through some old papers today, I came across this old prospectus
for Hudson House School.
Thought you might like to see it!

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• Scan_0001.pdf
    148.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Scan_0002.pdf
    263.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Scan_0003.pdf
    330.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Scan_0004.pdf
    241 KB · Views: 11
@FlaxleyGirl I didn't go to CC - Our Lady's was my primary school. My much older brother got married at CC. Father Corcoran was the parish priest at that time; a giant of a man, at least to little me! The church at that time (mid 60s) was a wooden 'hut'. Mom and I often went to mass there if we'd missed the rare Sunday bus to the Mackadown. Great memories.
a bit late on a reply but i went to our ladys from 1960 to 1966
colin

I'd forgotten about Fr McFarlane. He was very nice. Also did my communion & confirmation at AW. Do you remember Delina Lappin? She was at OL about the same time as you. The was also Frankie Lunney, (Martin)? Manning, Gérard Bergin & someone Phipps. Also Mary Reagan whose Mom was scary! I remember her having a go at Mr Murray on day. Some of their older siblings were in my class. Mr Meegan was our teacher & Mr Murray was Head.
Just browsing this thread a bit late i know but i remember going to the co op club. Mary reagen was in my class at our lady's and i recall francis. Also there was a lot of little puddles when the priest came in on a monday morning. I remember michael collins in my class along with chris matthews.
col

Back