• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stechford Area

stars

master brummie
There was not a thread for the stechford area, only a road so i started this thread.

A few photos of Flaxley rd and Station rd.

Image16_Station_Rd_1960.jpg

Image15_Stechford_Bridge_1889.jpg

Image14Flaxley_Rd_1980.jpg

Image12_Flaxley_Rd_1954.jpg

Image11Atlas_Stechford.jpg

Image10The_Atlas_Cinema_1961.jpg

Regards Stars

hi Here is a few more to ponder over.

Image22_The_Atlas_Stechford.jpg

Image21_Flaxley_Rd_1953.jpg

Image20_Flaxley_Rd_1961.jpg

Image19_Station_Rd_1955.jpg

Image18_Station_Rd_stechford.jpg

Image17_Station_Rd_Stechford_1955.jpg

Hope you enjoy and please let us know your stories, if it brings back any memories for you. Regards Stars

thanks stars.the shed with the bike outside next to the fence become my brothers printing shop.

You really are a star!
The launderette in Station road brings back memories for me. As a Stechford Primary School pupil in the late 50s one of my jobs was to take the family wash in my dolls' push chair to the launderette after school once a week, supervise the washing in the machine and push it home again. Happy memories.
Viv

Is,nt that strange The Cock & Bull I must have been past that pub a 1000 times.I always knew it as The Glebe.Dek

Brilliant pics Eric, know Stechford & glebe farm well from '66 throu to the '70's.

Was by there recently and lookingbat the shell of the Baptist Church opposite Lathams - Burnt out & derelict.

Very run down now in comparison.
Brian

Hi Brian
Yes i know i was up that way myself not long ago, i had family up the village.

Regard Stars (Eric)

Stars what great pictures having walked all over those streets and used the shops it brought back memories from my days growing up in Eddish Road. I never knew the pup was called the Cock and Bull I always thought it was the Glebe Tavern. Like they say you learn something new every day.

I remember this area well from my courting days, my late wife Enid Turville lived in Howden Place, we went to the Atlas Cinema sometimes twice a week.
Have not been back since Enids Dad died in 1975. Bernard

Last edited by a moderator:
What brilliant photos of the Glebe area, Enid and her brother, sadly no longer with
us, would have loved them.The pub used to be the Glebe Hotel, dont know when
they changed the name. Have been in there many times with Horace, Enids Dad.
he was a big friend of Harry Pym manager at Gouldings the Chemist.Your pics really do bring back the memories, Thanks a Lot, Bernard

Stars what great pictures having walked all over those streets and used the shops it brought back memories from my days growing up in Eddish Road. I never knew the pup was called the Cock and Bull I always thought it was the Glebe Tavern. Like they say you learn something new every day.

I was bought up in Folliott road just around the corner from you.

Stars,have only just looked at this, Dad would know the Station Road ones, he lived at 331, opposite the new police station from 1939. Will have to show him them.
Sue

Hi Sue
It has changed a bit now over that way. I hope the photo's bring back some nice memories for your Dad.

Stars

Brilliant pics Eric, know Stechford & glebe farm well from '66 throu to the '70's.

Was by there recently and lookingbat the shell of the Baptist Church opposite Lathams - Burnt out & derelict.

Very run down now in comparison.

Brian

Very sad about the Glebe church and surronding area , my late inlaws Mr & Mrs Wallbank where amounst the founders off that church , they would be hearbroken to see it now , i am glad they didnt live to see it . We where marrried ther in 1980 and as where my husband sister and brother before us , I lived in Elmore rd , my husband in Flaxley rd so all the above pictures where great memories for us , many thanks does anyone remmeber the wallbank family from flaxley rd , where well known in the baptist church .

Hi Annette,

I attended Glebe Farm from late 1966 through to 1973'ish.
I was in the 27th Boys Brigade with Brian Wallbank. My younger Brother also went through the ranks, and my father helped at bit later on. My Sisters were in the Girls Brigade there. I knew Mr & Mrs Wallbank, they were a very nice couple who put a lot into the Church.
My sister also married at the church - nice place, very friendly people. Good Harvest Festival do's and very Xmas we tramped the area carol singing, lugging a semi portable organ with us!
When my sister married - she had John Davis cionduct the service - he hasd been a member of the church but had become a Minister himself. His Parents lived in Hodge Hill and they used to hold youth meetings in their house ther - another good couple.

Ron & June Carter used to run the Boys & Girls Brigades, very helpful when you were in need. later Albert green took over after marrying Evelyn Wren, but I think they moved to Redditch?

They used to share Ministers with Stechford baptist church. We had my dad's funeral service at Stechford, a couple of years ago. The Minister than was a canadian who who nothing of the Glebe farm connection.

Didn't Brian have an elder Sister - was she called Ann?

Hope they are doing well. I suppose all the those original founders have long gone now - As you say - it's better thay did not see it in it's derelict state.
Brian

Back