• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Trams

No idea what's going on in this Shoothill site image. It's on Moat Row, outside the Drover's Arms.
image.jpeg

And another at the same place. Viv.
image.jpeg

The tanks contain gas under pressure, which was used to fill tanks under the steam tram passenger trailers for lighting. Probably collected from a nearby gas works.

Interesting tram picture. Donated today to local charity, Ladywood Furniture Project.
ps I had originally posted Ladypool sorry wrong lady

Attachments

• Screenshot (199).png
    Screenshot (199).png
    775.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That is a great photo. wonder where it was taken. You never know, it could be one of the ones that ran up Warwick road to the bridge for just a year.

The photo looks rather like it was taken between 1900 and 1907.
The trailer car 131 was the first if six constructed by the CBT Co. in 1900. Steam trams were abandoned in January 1907. As far as I can see the service along the Stratford Road commenced in March 1885 as far as Showell Green Lane. It was extended in 1900 to College Road, Sparkhill.

IMG_2772.jpeg

“One of Birmingham's last steam trams - photographed at King's Heath in 1906 -bore a large advertisement for Priory Tea. The old track was replaced by rails for the electric tram which officially took over on I January 1907.”

The story of Ty-phoo and the Birmingham tea industry by Williams, Ken.

Back