• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Trams

Image_28229~10.jpg

The only text to accompany this picture says"on the way to Kings Heath. 1903".

Last edited by a moderator:
The steam tram to kings Heath was not as frequent as to other palces in 1903 , ONLY every 10 mins from John bright St

Thanks Mike, I am not a bus or tram buff but I have a few pictures in with all the stuff I am sorting out.

img030.jpg

Snow on the ground in 1906 as a steam tram travels along Stratford Road. Although this is a steam tram you can see the wires have been installed ready for the Elactric trams.

img017.jpg

A gang of workmen laying tram tracks on Stratford Road near Farm Road.

Hi old tram buffs a d members I Never Really Realized About Our Trams Of Yester. Years
That They Was Steam Trams Before They Sucombed To Electric A Electric Shock
I Have Got Picture Of A Postcard,
Which Was A Souvenir Which Was Printed As Souvenir Post Card With a Picture Of The Old Steam Tram
And On The Card Its Printed Steam Tram And The Wording Saying ,
A Souvenir Of The Old Steam Trams, Which Succumbed to An Electric Shock,
31st, Dec, 1906,
===============
Gone , But Not
forgotten,
It Was Souvenir post card of steam trams,the last of which were spirited of the city on the night
Of 31 st Dec,1906 , to a scrap yard in wednesbury,
The. first steam tram routes open end in 1882.and this locomotive was built by Kits on And Co, Of Leeds
I Will TryNd Load This Down Tommorow as well as the pub
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Alan, steam tram depot Silver Street, Kings Heath in 1889, they stopped running in 1906.

Colin

Attachments

• SCAN0287.JPG
    SCAN0287.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 59
Don't know if this steam tram is setting off for Aston or just arriving in Aston. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 46
Another photo of a steam tram on Stratford Rd, Sparkbrook at the bottom of Long Street. It seems to have been a popular spot for snapping trams, perhaps it had something to do with Kyotts Lake Depot just down the Stratford Rd or would the depot have been a couple of miles further down the way it was heading at Colgreave Avenue on the border of Hall Green?

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam train.jpg
    Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Steam train.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 49
I wonder if these ' steam ' tram pullers had the same good old smells and sounds as that of the steam Railway engines.
Photo: Could that be a hanging bell in front of the driver. " Ding a Ling " and off he goes ?
image.jpg

Had not realised that this has already been put on by Viv, but a copy of the postcard on e-bay intrigued me and I tarted it up a bit to that shown below. The line ran from 1886-1906. However the photographer seems to have been a Twigg at what I originally took to be 29 Bloomsbury St. Closer examination showed it might be 291 Bloomsbury St , and there was an Arthur Twigg at 291 bloomsbury St from before the star of the service till after. However up until 1900 Kellys describes him as a tobacconist, and only in 1903 as a photographer . Therefore the photo must have been taken in the steam tram on saltley route A.jpg period 1900-1906

Trams steam locos had to have the motion covered and capable of being driven from either end. I think there was also restriction on the smoke that they could expel through their chimney. These regulations resulted in the box-like shape of the tram engines
TobyCGIpromo.png Toby the Tram Engine from the Thomas the Tank Engine books (from Wikipedia)

Hi Old mowhawk
I have sorted out a couple of old trams i thought you may like to see around corporation street area

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 18
  • ScanImage002.jpg
    ScanImage002.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 16
Back