• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Trams Stratford Road

horsencart

master brummie
Has anyone got a detailed map showing the Stratford road junction of College road say for the late 1800.s or early 1900,s as I wish to confirm the following

"There is an old steam tram depot at the junction of Stratford Road and College Road, in Springfield, (opposite corner to the school)."

Now I suspect that it has long since gone but I need to know where it was it may appear on the map as a Coke? yard none of my maps show it many thanks

Here are three maps of the immediate area for c 1904, c 1916 and c1952 . the last to show a bit more like it was later. I hope that gives what you want

map_c1904_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

map_c1916_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

map_c1952_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

Many thanks as far as I can see the depot/garage would have been behind the bogs/toilets further investigation is needed I think

Here are three maps of the immediate area for c 1904, c 1916 and c1952 . the last to show a bit more like it was later. I hope that gives what you want

map_c1904_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

map_c1916_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

map_c1952_stratford_rd_college_rd_junc.jpg

I now realise that the entrance to the tram shed/depot/garage/ was the right of the bogs must go there soon (not the bogs)

When you go do remember that there is a Druckers almost opposite where you can a cup of tea or coffee.

To the left of the ex loos is a restaurant in a converted church. Mugal and Azam.

I go on the no 6 and 1 buses around here all the time.

This is the view at the bottom of College Road.

Note College Road is now one way up past Springfield Primary School.

If you look at the photo where the gate is that is where the steam trams would have gone up that alleway? to the depot the plan is to get as many photos of the place, I wonder if the original steam build is still there? I should know more soon

To the left of the ex loos is a restaurant in a converted church. Mugal and Azam.

I go on the no 6 and 1 buses around here all the time.

This is the view at the bottom of College Road.

Note College Road is now one way up past Springfield Primary School.

Superimposed 1904 map on google (tram shed in red). Doesn't seem to coincide with anything there now

tram_depot_startford_road_1_over_google_28129.jpg

Having now been to the site of the former Steam Tram Shed the conclusion I have come to is that it has long since gone this was the quote that mad me think that it was still there "There is an old steam tram depot at the junction of Stratford Road and College Road, in Springfield, (opposite corner to the school)."
I think that they were looking at a electric Sub Station

And where that car park was in ellbrown's picture were dozens of prefabs built just after the war. I lived in Knowle Road during the 1940s and went to College Road Infants and Junior Schools, but from my recollections the tramway shed must have been gone long before then.

Whilst we're in that area, has anyone got a picture of the bridge that preceded the current one over the River Cole?

Maurice

That was Google Street Maps.

Not got anything of the current bridge, but have got shots of the River Cole from it

Ah, that was my playground in the late 1940s. Just up from the waterfall on the left was a tree from which we suspended a rope over the river. And, of course, we used to paddle in the area of the river shown in your photograph and down under the bridge. Happy days. The river now seems to have been sterilised (or chemically polluted) as there was lots of trailing green waterweed, especially at Green Road ford, which is no longer there. Lots of small fish (tiddlers), frogs and a few newts. It now looks as though it is so sterile that it wouldn't support any river life.

Maurice

Back