• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Sheds

my childhood fantasy.
my dads foundry was next to the shed, right by the wall were a row of locos. i would get on board one and we would go off on a excursion to the sea side,first filling it up with water and coal,then off to collect the passengers at the station, watching the country side as we sped by. the fireman loading more coal in to the firebox and me working the controls we was really moving allong now, smoke blowing out the chimney and the steam preasure was high. at this rate we will soon be there .there were some people standing by the track so i blew the whistle and they waved as we passed them then a voice shouted come on pete it time to go home now.it was dad standing by the wall... we never got to the sea side after all that day. . for a few months the locos were there. then one day a diesel come and took some away.and the next day till they all had gone.it upset me it was so sad to see such great beasts that served us proud for years dragged away for scrap.

Last edited:
1964 waiting for scrap.
1644232691185.pngthe Luftwaffe's air raids on Birmingham SALTLEY no 3 shed appears to have had little effect on the shed its allowing the smoke to escape..1644233463598.png

invisible.gif

Saltley Shed 1962​

a train spotters paradise no H&S
A panoramic view of Saltley shed, with its coaling tower on the left and motive power on the right, on a Sunday morning in May 1962

A panoramic view of Saltley shed, with its coaling tower on the left and motive power on the right, on a Sunday morning in May 1962

1644247546943.png
see also

Close up showing a GWR 0-6-0 'Dean goods' locomototive standing on one of the approach roads in front of the sheds with the doors to the repair shops on the right. The design with multiple doors on the fron elevation and the extensive use of glass for lightening made this building muchmore modern looking and industrial than was often found on the railway and may well have led to its nickname 'the factory

1644263769553.png

Three unidentified GWR 0-6-0ST 850 Class locomotives and one GWR 0-6-0 'Dean Goods' tender locomotive are seen at the rear of Tyseley shed. The cleanliness of the building and the undergrowth across the site would indicate that the works and shed are not long open dating the photograph at about 1908. The area at the rear of the shed occupied by the locomotives was reserved for a further two roundhouses but was never required.
1644263594350.png

Attachments

• 1644263658782.png
    1644263658782.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 13
Would anyone remember the batch of Royal Scot 4-6-0's that came to Saltley
i believe for storage sometime around 1963,i think there were four or five of them?

I recall Sunday trips early 1960s to take in both Aston and Saltley sheds via the canal. Aston had the ‘important engines’ the namers were the favourites until they long stopped being cops and I especially recall the Brits. Saltley had the workhorses - Black 5s, 8Fs, various BR types etc. Two very different sheds, built around a rectangle and ovals respectively but neither took any notice if us spotted. Health and Safety hadn’t been invented but there again neither had the iPad I’m using now!

1964 waiting for scrap.
View attachment 167148the Luftwaffe's air raids on Birmingham SALTLEY no 3 shed appears to have had little effect on the shed its allowing the smoke to escape..View attachment 167151

invisible.gif

Saltley Shed 1962​

1964 waiting for scrap.
View attachment 167148the Luftwaffe's air raids on Birmingham SALTLEY no 3 shed appears to have had little effect on the shed its allowing the smoke to escape..View attachment 167151

invisible.gif

Saltley Shed 1962​

That Duck Six ( great pic) was a regular on the Penns Line daily Pick Up Goods. Anyone know what other workings the sixes where used on?

Back