• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Sir Nigel Gresley at Pickering Station 22/7/15 (slight problem with reflections on the third picture!)

View attachment 144144 View attachment 144145 View attachment 144146
When Flying Scot and Tornado were on the SVR in 2016, they were using the original 1930s LNER coaching stock as shown in your second picture. It was an 80th birthday treat bought by my children and our coach was a luxurious first class dining car built 1936, 80 years old.
Bob

The week Tornado took to service.It came to Kent.Have a lovely video I took of it coming through Westgate on Sea.
Seen it in Green & Blue. Blue is the better colour for it.

thanks .for that i never noticed until yesterday i saw the steam pipes and though this is not a hall. 3 were made

There's a tremendous mix-up here! The first two models are based on GWR Castle class locomotives and are similar. Their curved steampipes can be clearly seen. The third model has a straight steampipe, which was so in Hall, Manor, County, Grange and other GWR classes of engine.
All three carry the nameboard "Hogwarts Castle". In the first two the name "Castle" corresponds to the loco; the third model is not a Castle so it's carrying an inappropriate name.
All three have the same number: 5972 which is the number of the Hall class locomotive named Olton Hall, the engine which was used in the Harry Potter films, but renamed wrongly as a Castle. So the first and second models bear a number which doesn't correspond to the class of locomotive.
Phew!

Attachments

• Hall or Castle.JPG
    Hall or Castle.JPG
    837.4 KB · Views: 13
Tornado is undergoing winter maintenance and still seems to be in apple green.

There's a tremendous mix-up here! The first two models are based on GWR Castle class locomotives and are similar. Their curved steampipes can be clearly seen. The third model has a straight steampipe, which was so in Hall, Manor, County, Grange and other GWR classes of engine.
All three carry the nameboard "Hogwarts Castle". In the first two the name "Castle" corresponds to the loco; the third model is not a Castle so it's carrying an inappropriate name.
All three have the same number: 5972 which is the number of the Hall class locomotive named Olton Hall, the engine which was used in the Harry Potter films, but renamed wrongly as a Castle. So the first and second models bear a number which doesn't correspond to the class of locomotive.
Phew!
thanks for input:grinning:

From the horses mouth I guess:
The link gives the history of 1213/9 which is interesting. I have never been that au fait with NG stock.
Also mentioned is the earlier Cambrian Railways (V of R) NG 2--6-2T 1213 Prince of Wales of 1902 which. it seems, was surreptitiously scrapped meaning 1213 was, in effect, a new engine.
There was a more well known GWR locomotive named Prince of Wales viz: 4041 a Star Class 4-6-0 of 1913 which survived until 1951.

Hi,

I know nothing about the VOR Railway, but I have a Preservation Datafile book from
1993 which states that VOR have 3 locos - nos 7, 8 and 9 (1213), and that whilst 7 and 8
were built in 1923 at Swindon, 9 was built 1902 by Davies and Metcalfe at Romiley. This
is the same info given in the 1953 Ian Allen GWR ABC which also states that the cylinders
were 11" x 17"" for no9, whilst 7 and 8 had 11 1/2" x 17" cylinders. It only shows these 3 locos for the VOR.

But the PD book also mentions that 9 was originally VOR No 2., so I guess it must be an earlier build.
Perhaps measuring the cylinder bore would put that one to bed.
Intriguing.

Kind regards
Dave

Why would the GWR want those engines? They had a large fleet of their own Swindon and Wolverhampton built 0-6-0' tank engines plus some of the amalgamated other lines products. Besides the GW and MR had often been a loggerheads in the 19th. century.

Last edited:
Back