• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Hi Dave,

Have seen 7903 on the GWSR many times in the past,
- a truly lovely loco. Have they overcome the landslip
problems yet, or are they still "in two bits"?

Kind regards

Dave

Dave still in two bits but August was mentioned

Some of the L.M.S 4-6-2 CORONATION class locomotives were initially built in streamlined form. Later they were built in un-streamlined form. For a while it was able to discern between the two different builds, by the sloping smoke box of the former streamlined engines. However, these were also later removed, and after that, except for one distinguishing feature, it was difficult to tell which, of the loco's were formerly streamlined..

The distinguishing, and remaining feature of the former streamlined locomotives was the front frame buffer beam.

The former streamlined loco's had a split buffer beam, and those built without streamlining, had an unbroken curved buffer beam.

Former streamlined version as is seen on 6229 "Duchess of Hamilton"
Un-streamed build is as seen on 6230 "Duchess of Buccleuch"

Attachments

• Former streamlined front buffer frame 001.jpg
    Former streamlined front buffer frame 001.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Non Streamlined Buffer Beam 001.jpg
    Non Streamlined Buffer Beam 001.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Fascinating, absolutely fascinating! I first noticed this difference from photographs over sixty years ago ... but had never come across an explanation.
(Up to the mid-'60s L.M.S 4-6-2 (not 4-6-0; Coronation class engines were Pacific-type locos) CORONATION class locomotives were never seen at Birmingham New Street station. Keen 'spotters had to go to Tamworth or be very lucky at Stechford when occasionally mainline trains were diverted along what we called the "Aston Line".)
Thank you, norfolk brummie. David.

Last edited:
Would loved to have seen a fully stream lined, smart looking Princess Coronation locomotive like Duchess of Hamilton in full flow, but only ever managed to see one looking like City of Lancaster. Almost run down after their contribution to the war effort, but still exciting.

This would have been around 1946/47 at Tamworth.

Eddie

Attachments

• Duchess of Hamilton 001.jpg
    Duchess of Hamilton 001.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 29
  • City of Lancaster Streamlined, WW2 condition 001.jpg
    City of Lancaster Streamlined, WW2 condition 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Duchess of Sutherland (46233) is still around and was at the Open Day of Tyseley Locomotive Works 5-6th July 2014. Dave M took a short video clip. There is a thread of the Open Day but I don't know how to provide a link. I was there, having travelled up from Surrey. Dave

Duchess of Sutherland (46233) is still around . Dave

A couple of photographs I took of Duchess of Sutherland 34 years ago (1983), when she was in 'captivity' at the Bressingham Steam Museum in Norfolk.

Also a couple of photographs of Royal Scot, taken at the same time.

Although not the original Royal Scot, this was 6152 (The Kings Dragoon Guardsman) in disguise, when the locomotive toured the United States and Canadian in 1933. Note the bell on the front buffer beam to commemorate the event. presented by the Canadian Pacific Railway

Attachments

• 1. Duchess of Sutherland 001.jpg
    1. Duchess of Sutherland 001.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2. Duchess of Sutherland 001.jpg
    2. Duchess of Sutherland 001.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 1. Royal Scot 001.jpg
    1. Royal Scot 001.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2. Royal Scot 001.jpg
    2. Royal Scot 001.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 15
Alan Bloom was responsible for rescuing 46233 (6233), 46100 (6100) and 70013 and housing them at Bressingham.

All three engines are now certified for main line running and appear out on the network on a regular basis.

A repainted, in green, Duchess of Sutherland, GWR 'Castle' Class 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe, and
'Hall' class 4965 Rood Ashton Hall, I believe.

Eddie

Alan Bloom was responsible for rescuing 46233 (6233), 46100 (6100) and 70013 and housing them at Bressingham.

All three engines are now certified for main line running and appear out on the network on a regular basis.

Absolutely true badpenny:

Now living in Norfolk I had the pleasure of meeting Alan Bloom, a lovely, and very modest man. Although a very wealthy man, no one would know it.
He would often be seen driving one of his beloved steam engines that would be hauling a trainload of visitors to his Bressingham Estate.

In his overalls, long grey hair, he looked just like 'another employee'

A man sadly missed by many people, including steam locomotive lovers.

Eddie

Pictures of LNER Green Arrow, Carlisle to Settle 1990. Strange thing is that the number is 4771. It's British Railways number is listed as 60800. They usually just added the prefix to the existing LNER number.
Dave A

V2 Class Green Arrow 1.jpg V2 Class Green Arrow.jpg

4771 (Green Arrow) was the original locomotive number when built at Doncaster in June 1936. The LNER renumbered her as No. 800 in 1946 and she subsequently became 60800 on nationalisation. She was withdrawn from service in August 1962.

4771 (Green Arrow) was the original locomotive number when built at Doncaster in June 1936. The LNER renumbered her as No. 800 in 1946 and she subsequently became 60800 on nationalisation. She was withdrawn from service in August 1962.
Thanks for the info...I have a couple more shots from that wonderful trip, but just more of the same. Since finding this thread, I've been on the hunt for more steam engine photo's. I know I have more...
Dave A

Back