• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam Locos

Have looked through about 250 slides and found just one more from Aug 1967. Luckily? it is the preceding one. And would you believe it is the Front at Blackpool!
This reduces the number of Stations that it could be, as this is after the date of the Beeching cull, however steam locos were also becoming rarer on BR, the last one running in 1968 in regular mainline service. Looking beyond the engine it looks like goods wagons and also the photo is taken from the bottom of the platform ramp, which could suggest a level crossing. Big BR build engines like this usually worked out of the Northern yards, Kingsmoor at Carlisle was a favourite for them..... and when you've guessed the correct location, make sure we have the engine drivers name

Bob

IMG_2151.jpg IMG_2152.jpg IMG_2153.jpg

Starting a search in the archives I came across this from the Illustrated London News of August 1963.

Visited a part of the UK last weekend that I had not been to before. The visit included a ride on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, not far from Leeds, between Keighley and Haworth and back. Pulled on the return by an American steam engine, number 5820 of the United States of America Transportation Corp. There is a link below giving more details of the steam engine, together with two photos that I took. Dave.
https://kwvr.co.uk/steam-train/steam-train-2/
IMG_20170909_142620564_HDR.jpg IMG_20170909_140438011_HDR (2).jpg

Visited a part of the UK last weekend that I had not been to before. The visit included a ride on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, not far from Leeds, between Keighley and Haworth and back. Pulled on the return by an American steam engine, number 5820 of the United States of America Transportation Corp. There is a link below giving more details of the steam engine, together with two photos that I took. Dave.
https://kwvr.co.uk/steam-train/steam-train-2/
View attachment 117819 View attachment 117820
As I wrote in post #128, american steam locomotives look like a boiler on wheels and are ugly!
Dave A

But the working mechanisms of American locomotives are much more easily reached and serviced ask any one who has to crawl beneath and into the workings of former GWR locomotives.
Later next year one of this type of USATC engines should be working on the Paignton to Kingswear (Dartmouth) line.

Last edited:
But the working mechanisms of American locomotives are much more easily reached and serviced ask any one who has to crawl beneath and into the workings of former GWR locomotives.

I can see that...accessibility regardless of appearance, not unlike the North American approach to electric power supply.
Dave A

Sandfields-Pump.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about this item? I have a feeling it maybe to do with steam locomotives. It is in a building owned by John McCleam who also built a lot of railway bridges in and around Birmingham.

hi mort i am not expert but it looks to me as though it should be in a building and nothing to do with steam engines but as i say i am no expert on steam trains...what building is it in ??

lyn

Hi Lyn, yes, but if you look on post #143 there is one just like it on the front of that steam train

So was the brake pump subsequently modified for use in the Mcleam building ? Looks to me as though it's all plumbed in. If so, what was it used for in the building ? Interesting piece Mort. Viv.

So was the brake pump subsequently modified for use in the Mcleam building ? Looks to me as though it's all plumbed in. If so, what was it used for in the building ? Interesting piece Mort. Viv.

Yes, its got me thinking. Looking at objects like this is to me anyway a great way of looking back at our past. Most certainly there is a conection between McClean who built the building and the railways. I have a feeling he did some of the railway bridges in Winson Green

For me their is a connection here between the picture and the Thread “Blue Plaque, What's That Secret Your Keepin’?”

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ts-that-secret-your-keepin.47735/#post-592096

The Blue Plaque at Penns Mill (Hall) commemorates Baron Dickinson Webster and claims him to be the wire manufacturer of the first Atlantic Telegraph cable. This is a great stretch of the imagination as the first cable had failed in 1858 and Webster & Horsfall Ltd were able to capitalise on this to manufacture the wire for the second and third cables.

If you take Wikipedia to be correct McClean, amongst many other ventures, was the Chairman of the Anglo-American Telegraph Company….the link says……”On the failure of the expedition to lay the second cable in 1865, a third company was formed to raise the capital for a further attempt, the Anglo-American Telegraph Company.

Is this at Sandhills Pumping station? It looks to me like a steam pump, either for boiler water feed or drainage of the 'sump' under the main pumping engine of any water that has leaked or condensed from steam. Steam pumps do not need flywheels, as the movement of the engine piston simply moves the pump piston up & down.

Sandfield 1.jpg

Last edited:
It is indeed Sandfields Pumping Station, and a project I have been working on for the past five years. It is a Grade II* listed Victorian Waterworks that supplied water to the Black Country after the cholera epidemics. See the link on my signature.

Back