• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steam and Commercial Vehicles

Just found this in a box of slides. I know the Science Museum sold this slide of City Of Birmingham before it was walled up in the Museum, I am not sure of the year but I am sure someone will know.
Just found this in a box of slides. I know the Science Museum sold this slide of City Of Birmingham before it was walled up in the Museum, I am not sure of the year but I am sure someone will know.
View attachment 167077
Shot taken in October 1966, five months after it's delivery by Wynn's.

Not a good photo but one of the earlier rallies in 1960. Viv.

View attachment 167157
View attachment 167158Source: British Newspaper Archive
!960, the first traction engine rally in Newhall Street with 7 engines taking part. A great tradition for every second Sunday in May, which saw 1995 being the last year it was held. So many wonderful memories of helping my dad and his fellow Science museum colleges at the rally and March and October Steam Weekends.

1644321386446.png
This is a wonderful shot taken by the Evening Mail in May 1978. Roadworks by the museum meant the rally had to move further up Newhall Street that year, but as can be seen from the crowds it was certainly another very busy and enjoyable steam rally. 1979 saw the event move back to it's usual slot back outside the museum.

Back