• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stately House Identification

Puffin

proper brummie kid
Help please though I'm not sure Birmingham is quite the right area - apart from being in Warwickshire once!! I am trying to identify the house in a photograph from around the late 1800s. I think it is likely to be in Warwickshire or Herefordshire.

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 67
I have tweaked the photo to give folk a better chance hopefully.

House_ID.jpg

Looks like there's some French influence, but have no idea where in Hereford or Warks. Viv.

That looks like (it is) a 'Baroque-style' house and at the time of that photographic plate being taken, was probably 150 years old. The chances of that building still standing is extremely slim, given the popular rise (and easier to maintain) of the later 'Georgian-style' architecture. I've had a snoop around the 'interweb' and I can't find anything that comes close...sorry!

Places searched: all the Midland shires, Wales, Scotland.

Many thanks for the photo tweak!
Could it possibly be in Docklow near Leominster? The photo was with some others of my great grandfather who was a butler at Oaklands, Docklow. I just don't know how to prove it!

What years did your Gt Grandfather work there as a butler?
Does he appear on a census as a live in Butler?
Do you know the name of the family he worked for?
If the house he worked at or the family he worked for can be found on a census or electoral roll then it may be possible for Mike Jee our map expert to find the location of the house on an old Map and then see if it is still there.
If you give as much information as possible - someone on here may be able to help.

Looking at docklow in google maps , Oaklands does not look very much like the picture, though it could well have changed. Also it is only possible to get a view from above as the entire complex is well away from the road and surrounded by trees. There does nor seem to be a picture on the web

The following link is to a website that has a comprehensive list, and in most cases photographs/artists impressions/etching prints, of historic buildings and country mansions that have been demolished over the years. With what information you have to hand, you should be able to plough through that web site's extensive archive. The hyper link states Warwickshire (?) but it covers the whole of the UK.

https://lh.matthewbeckett.com/lh_complete_list.html#Warwickshire

What years did your Gt Grandfather work there as a butler?
Does he appear on a census as a live in Butler?
Do you know the name of the family he worked for?
If the house he worked at or the family he worked for can be found on a census or electoral roll then it may be possible for Mike Jee our map expert to find the location of the house on an old Map and then see if it is still there.
If you give as much information as possible - someone on here may be able to help.

The 1901 census lists only staff at Oaklands including a butler who was John Drennan (lady's maid, house maid cook and the butler) - there are also servants living at Oaklands Lodge. Other addresses include Leominster Road. There is also a "large" house called Docklow House where Elizabeth Stone is the head. There is also a house called Bucklands (also had a lodge and cottage with staff living there) - head of house is Mary Jane Heygate.
Most other houses seem to be occupied by workers.

Not sure if this helps or not.
Janice

John Drernnen was my great grandfather. In 1881 he was in Leamington. Between 1881 and 1891 he was working at several places in London (I have some of his notes but only up to 1898).
In 1891 his wife Alice Drennen and 3 children were living in a cottage while he was at Oaklands. By 1901 his wife had moved to Leominster but John A was still in Docklow.

I assume you have traced him on earlier censuses? The big problem seems to be that he worked at quite a number of "big houses" in a variety of places which could make identifying your picture harder.
1851 Bea.... School House (I think) at Ockbrook. 1861 and 1871 Fillongley Hall near Warwick but the pictures of that don't seem to match. 1881 it just gives an address in Leamington. The we get to what you have put above.

Janice

Yes I have him on all of the census records, even 1891 where his birth year has been transcribed incorrectly. He was shown as a scholar in 1841 in Ockbrook which was/is a Moravian Settlement. I don't think the picture is from Ockbrook as I have visited the Settlement and found a large number of Drennen graves.

I assume he moved from Fillongley Hall to Leamington when he married in 1879. Buried in the minutia of his accounts, I have found mention of these places / dates
May 1882 moved to 5 Southwick Crescent, Hyde Park, London - Mr Cohen
Feb 1885 mention of St Leonards
Aug 1885 mention of Banstead
Feb 1886 mention of St Leonards
Aug 1886 mention of Banstead
Feb 1887 mention of 5 Southwick Crescent

Jun 1887 moved to Bennington Park in Campbell although Campbell may well have been a person's name

Apr 1889 came to Dover to Mrs Heygates service and came to the Oaklands Herefordshire.

Think I need a good stroll around the Docklow area!

Just trying to find out what information you already had so we didn't cover the same ground twice. I looked at Ockbrook as well - sounds and looks a fascinating place. I looked at pictures of Fillongley but that is too large. Your 1882 list seems to show that perhaps he moved around with the mysterious Mr Cohen as you start and finish with the same address.
I will try and do some more digging to help later.
Janice

The Cohen's seem to have been stockbrokers. Father was Henry who died in 1900 and his son Justinian who died in 1926 was also a stockbroker. I just wonder if they had a country house somewhere. At the moment I can't find one.

Janice

Yes I have him on all of the census records, even 1891 where his birth year has been transcribed incorrectly. He was shown as a scholar in 1841 in Ockbrook which was/is a Moravian Settlement. I don't think the picture is from Ockbrook as I have visited the Settlement and found a large number of Drennen graves.

I assume he moved from Fillongley Hall to Leamington when he married in 1879. Buried in the minutia of his accounts, I have found mention of these places / dates
May 1882 moved to 5 Southwick Crescent, Hyde Park, London - Mr Cohen
Feb 1885 mention of St Leonards
Aug 1885 mention of Banstead
Feb 1886 mention of St Leonards
Aug 1886 mention of Banstead
Feb 1887 mention of 5 Southwick Crescent

Jun 1887 moved to Bennington Park in Campbell although Campbell may well have been a person's name

Apr 1889 came to Dover to Mrs Heygates service and came to the Oaklands Herefordshire.

Think I need a good stroll around the Docklow area!

You are correct the Campbell is a name. Bennington Park is in Hertfordshire and was the home of Charles Montgomery Campbell - he died in 1834 but I assume the house might have stayed in the Campbell family. Looking at photos this is not the house in your photo.

Janice

I think it might possibly be in Benington, Hertfordshire. https://www.panoramio.com/photo/4217619

John Drennen went to Bennington Park, Campbell in 1887 and his notes mention Stevenage and a tip from Miss Campbell. I found this! https://histfam.familysearch.org//getperson.php?personID=I94884&tree=Nixon

https://www.panoramio.com/photo/4217619

I also found that the house had been altered in 1905 - https://www.beningtonlordship.co.uk/aboutus.shtml I suspect the roof was altered at the same time???

Back