• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Startin James

W

welshbabe

I have found the following relating to a James Startin at Saturday Bridge Birmingham.

Wrightson's Directory 1818 - Startin, James & Co, Merchant, , Saturday Bridge

I am researching James Startin from London who was born in Birmingham around 1771 with parents John and Lydia Startin, and wondered if it is the same family and/or if anyone has information on the Birmingham Startins?

The John I am following was referred to in the Gentleman's Magazine of 1850 as being a late banker from Birmingham but his son's obituary states he was a merchant from Birmingham.

He appears to have been baptised at St Phillips Birmingham and later married a Sarah Thrupp in London.

He has a plaque in Chiswick Churchyard and evidently did well for himself or came form a wealthy family.

(I believe there is reference to Startins on the 'Red Bus' page but I cannot get it to open and it appears empty.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: James Startin

there is quite a lot on the Startins in theMidland Red thread, starting with John, merchant, 39 colmore row. in 1777. It certainly still opens for me.
Mike

Here is a link to the Midland Red Early Days thread, welshbabe. If you do a search thread on "Startin" you'll find 32 posts on the Startin family, as researched by Mike and others. Good luck with your research. If you come across anything new relating to the Startin coach building or motor body buidling business, I hope you will share it: either here or on the Midland Red thread.

Thanks both for the input.
I can get onto the Midland Red thread now and have found the list fo info you put together for the Startins Thylacine whihc was veryt interestinjg.
I did search the site and came up with 10 threads refering to Startins - have read them all apart form the Midland Red which at 90 pages seems a lot to wade through - is there any way of searching it further? There are over 1300 posts in it!!
Looks like they might all be from the same family but would be nice if we could confirm this.
Sorry don't relaly have anything much on the Birmingham end yet as I did more on them once in London. Funnily enough the London Startins married Thrupps which were also with vehicles etc.

Here is a link to the Midland Red Early Days thread index. "Startin, Thomas" is found there under "Companies" and lists the posts referring to the company and the family. The information on pages and posts at the top of the index assumes 40 posts per page: you can adjust your "Settings" (just under Forum banner on the right) to achieve this. The post numbers are accurate though, whatever your settings.

Just in case the index doesn't cover every Startin post, as I said before you can try the "Search Thread" button, which is found at the top of each page just under the thread title and off to the right next to "Thread Tools".

We began looking into the Startins to try to establish a specific link with the Midland Red company. Although we (especially Mike) unearthed a huge amount of information, we never actually found the "missing link", though the probability appeared to be high. I hope you have success in your search, welshbabe.

Welshbabe, I've looked through the Midland Red Early Days thread, and found this summary of our discoveries about the Birmingham Startins. There may be additional information in later posts, but this particular one may be of assistance to you.

Thanks very much - most interesting.
Was going to follow al the threads yesterdya but internet running so slowly I gave up.

Another transport connection is that the Thrupp line (who married into the Startins) showed coaches at the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace, London. Let me know if I'm side-trackingt oo much with this?

Another famous relative of Frederick Thrupp was Robert White Thrupp 1821-1907.
Robert was a famous photographer and connected with the art firm of Windsor and Newton. He took photographs of Old Birmingham before buildings were demolished. When he died his will was worth over £4 million in today’s currency.

Charles Joseph Thruppran a famous coach building company in London with showrooms in Oxford Street. The firm had been building coaches since the 1760s.

Charles exhibited in the Great Exhibition at Crystal Palace in 1851, along with his brothers - John Augustus Thrupp and Henry Joseph Thrupp.

Charles Joseph Thrupp's son,George Athelstan Thrupp,wrote a book on the History of Coaches in 1877.
The book can be read at - https://www.archive.org/details/historyofcoaches00thru

Thanks for the information, welshbabe. George Thrupp's History of Coaches is going to keep me busy for a while: beautifully illustrated too!

Back