• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stanmore Road Secondary, Edgbaston

M

mkent1

did anyone go to stanmore secondry, between 1971 & 1976,i remember having to run round edgebaston reservoir in our p.e. lessons, mkent1:(

Stanmore

Hi

I not only went to Stanmore but lived there as well !!!
My Father was the school caretaker, i left in 1972, have great memories of the place

brummy10

stanmore secondry

thanks brummie 10
do you remember the teachers, mr. potter, mr. head, mr rugde, miss childs to name but a few. mkent1

Last edited by a moderator:
School

Hi

Yes remember all the teachers and the resa run, might be before you went there but do you remember the old school bus (converted ambulance) named "Beautiful Zelda" imagine them allowing them to use that nowadays !!

Beautiful zelda

hi brummie 10
i vaguely remember the old ambulance, my sister remembers it better than me, as for the reservoir, i hated running round that, but did enjoy the hockey lessons, and the long jump, we used to go out of the back door as we used to call it, to get to the sand pit, mkent1:)

Re: stanmore secondry, edgebaston

Attended Stanmore from it's first year, until 1968. :)

We were the boys from Barford Road..... and we were merged with the girls from City Road. My first two senior schools - Wheeler's Lane King's Heath and Barford Road - were both all-boys schools.... so Stanmore was a revelation. ;)

The teachers I remember, are Mrs Martin (headmistress), Mr Thomsett (deputy head), Mr Davis (English), Mr Davies (Maths), Mr (Wally) Hepburn (Maths, Music, form teacher), Mr Wainwright (P.E/Boys), Miss Schofield *later Mrs Pipe* (P.E./Girls), Mr Challinor (jack of all trades), Mr V.S Slade (Science), Miss Blackburn (Geography), and Mr Syme (History). There was also a Mr Singh, who took various lessons.

My memory is vague where other teachers are concerned..... but I remember at the start, there was an American lady teacher.... and a beautiful tall, blonde Canadian. ;)

Anyone remember any more teachers?

Re: Stanmore Secondary, Edgbaston

Hi all
I'm new here, but I went to Stanmore from when it opened in 1966 until 1971.
Some other teachers I remember are: Mrs Miles (English), Mr Bray (my form teacher in 2nd year), Miss Danielewicz (My 1st year form teacher). Mrs Jeffries (Science), Mrs Grosvenor and Mr Lane (RI), Mr Langan (Art)

Miss Childs and Mr Wainwright (PE) got married and as far as I know still run a hotel in Wales.

John.

Hi i went to stanmore 1966/1971 my nams lyn mckeown and i played in the school band xx

I went to Stanmore between 1971 an 1978- my father was also the assistant caretaker!

Hi Lyn,
This is Terry Newis. Second cornet player. Wonder what happened to mr Hepburn (Wally) the music teacher. I can't understand why such a new school building was discontinued after such a short time. I went back there about five years ago and looked at the buildings for old times sake. V.sad.

Hi Lyn,
This is Terry Newis. Second cornet player. Wonder what happened to mr Hepburn (Wally) the music teacher. I can't understand why such a new school building was discontinued after such a short time. I went back there about five years ago and looked at the buildings for old times sake. V.sad.

Hi Terry,
Dunno if you remember me?
John Thatcher... we were in the same class at Stanmore.
Remember hunting round the market for German stamps because we thought they'd be worth a fortune in the future?

Hi Terry,
Dunno if you remember me?
John Thatcher... we were in the same class at Stanmore.
Remember hunting round the market for German stamps because we thought they'd be worth a fortune in the future?
Of course I remember you John. Especially your tale of how you failed one of your exams due to a heavy cold and had to use the paper as a hankerchief.
I still have the German stamps. They are still worth next to nothing.
Do you still have that wonderful memory or are you like me and losing it rapidly. Time creeps up on you.
I noted there is a web site on google with Paul Felton photographer. I wonder if he is our class mate.
I am living in London now so I am a long way from home.
Excellent to hear from you.

Of course I remember you John. Especially your tale of how you failed one of your exams due to a heavy cold and had to use the paper as a hankerchief.
I still have the German stamps. They are still worth next to nothing.
Do you still have that wonderful memory or are you like me and losing it rapidly. Time creeps up on you.
I noted there is a web site on google with Paul Felton photographer. I wonder if he is our class mate.
I am living in London now so I am a long way from home.
Excellent to hear from you.

Hahaha, yes, shyness was always my undoing! Mr Challoner came to my rescue by going and getting me some tissue. I think my exam paper was unmarkable by that time, though!
I turned down the chance to take the 13 plus (as I think it was called) and the opportunity to go to art school! What a dope!

I've been a printer since the day I left Stanmore. A dying trade that I doubt will see me through to retirement, unfortunately.

Have you been to the FriendsReunited site recently? I think you appear in a photo of the basketball team!

i also attended stanmore i was there from 69 till 75 Terry Taylor does anyone remember me ?. I remember. Mr Black , Mr Taylor Miss Hands, Wally Hepburn, Mr Wainwright . Best years of my life lol. I remember the resser run on cold winter mornings , Hiding in the bushes for a crafty fag lol. Ialso recall Mrs Hart Englaish teacher she would be doing register an someone would cough , she would then start all over again , It could takes ages just doing register some days .

Hi my name is Peter Marriott i just found this site glad i did i also went to Barford road then on to Stanmore road i think we only went for about 7 months i only went for 5 months as i hated school and waged off the last 2 months i was allways in Mrs Martins office getting a telling off yes i remember all the teachers can you remember what the Canadian teacher used to do? she sat on her desk with her legs akimbo flashing her all? What did hapen to the school why did it close and what is it now i now live in Cheshire i have 4 kids and 4 grand children wish i could turn the clock back and go back to scool ops sorry school my speling may inprove wood work teacher said in my report peter works well but has no skill and what have i done most of my working life Repering Wooden fairground rides? i remember Mr Challinor he dident like me i was a big lad had big muscular legs he said i shoud do better than i did hated the resa run i was allways last back at school was ok for Mr Challinor he road his push bike can you remember that? sorry for going on hope someone remebers me for good things i hope? ha ha i now know thay were happy days hope to hear from any one who remembers me good luck to all old Stanmore rd kids regards Peter Marriott

Hi pete ;
nice to get a couple of the old school on here i remember you and quite afew of you from the old dudley rd and barford rd
as soon as i seen your name ; i had got you straight away i can recall you popping around the green i was known over sangers cafe
i beleive there is afew still knocking around the area even today as i went to take on the old gardners club a couple of years back and cor blimey its the old cronies from the area and then i told the mrs as i was inspecting the club they will expect the afters so on the day of moveing in i rang and them
and said sorry lads i aint gonna do it do you remember deire camball and pepsi from barford rd he joined the police force and moved into the heath street new bought house he stopped me one night when on duty ; and i said to him what are you doing mate and cor blimmey he said what are you doing
i have not seen old wiggins for years in fact alot of them still its nc you are still living mate i remembe you and the lads coming over
sangers to play on the machine s take care look after your self mate all the best pete

Hi thank you for your reply yes i remember Sangers was in there all the time spent a lot of tanners in the pinball mum draged me out menny times do you remember Pat Morall from norman st and Raymond Dunkly and his bro Jhon from Aberdeen st allways in sangers good old days i used to peel the spuds in the Chippy next Door to feed my habbit fags and pinball tut tut do you remember Susan Cope from Stanmore i found her on Facebook Dont forget to look me up on facebook its a shame no one has started a site for Stanmore rd School on face book i dont know how to i just about can do this my son set up my face book so look me up Peter Marriott talk again soon regards pete

hi pete ;
nice to hear from you again after all this time as i said before in the previous thread as soon as i read your name i knew straight away
and yes we all had to wait until ot that five in aline and also the copper wire pushed in the side of the machine to get the five out of four do you remember
so you hould remember me alan ; i was always there like your self every body knew me and johny and little raymond johns brother i can recall you a vivid as yesterday pete ;
and the gangs pepi and deride cambells and paddy i do not know what happened to ray ; but john died afew years back ; when the family moved frm aberdeen s they went to live in
Quinton just down from the monic pub as far as i know the family still live there i do not know where mary went to or whom she married
i could stone the crows in you appearing on here ; i remember you so well and your oppos have you been back to that neck of the woods lately its gone to the pitts
and its a no go area i am told by my brother whom lived in lady wood on the subject of stannmore we always went up arpound stannmore school when we was kids
chating he birds up johny was the star withthe girls around there he had a great personalitity i was the one with martins courtney sister and the half cast girl sheila if you can recall them great days pete ; i hope you keep in touch with the forum as we have one or two from barford rd on here great to hear from you best wishes astonian

Anyone know when the school closed down?
Building is still there but no longer called stanmore school.

Back