• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Staniforth Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
STANIFORTH ST 1969 007.JPGhi folks could i ask you all to keep your eyes open for any pic of staniforth st please...it was off corporation st...

many thanks

lynne im pretty sure ive not seen this one before it was in one of the books our kid gave me today...dated 1967

Last edited:
Lyn

I'm pretty sure that you have seen this one before, the corner of Brickiln St and Staniforth St. The White House Inn at what looks to be the start of the 20th century or possibly earlier.

Attachments

• Gosta Green Staniforth St - Brickiln St The White House Inn.jpg
    Gosta Green Staniforth St - Brickiln St The White House Inn.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Lyn and Phil, I had rellies there from the 1881 Census right through to the 1955 E rolls. Pics seem to be in short supply.
Thanks again, Lynne.

thanks phil i have seen that one before but good to have it on this thread as lynne said pics are very thin on the ground so if anyone could add to it that would be great...

lyn

Wendy on the 1901 census my relatives lived in a court at the back of 89 Staniforth Street, so close.

wendy
i have a relative living in staniforth street in 1853 (mary hughes )only i cant find her on the 1851 cenus the witness on her marrage cert is mary (mitchell) and she is living in staniforth street in 1851
josie

I just checked the given location with my photo because I have little trust in the locations attached to old photos, and it looks like I was right to do so because according to the maps the location of the White Hart Inn was the corner of Bagot Street and Staniforth Street.

Lynne what a coincidence. I am sure they would have known each other living that close.

Josie these relatives can be so elusive. Post for help on the genealogy thread there are some brilliant detectives on here.

My grandparents William & Rose Hannah Wallace were living at 4 house, 2 court Staniforth Street on the 1911 census with 6 children including my dad, just 4 rooms in the house for 8 people. My grandma died in 1927 but my grandfather lived in that street until his death about 1947, so I would like to see any photos that come to light.

My G-Grandfather was living at 94 Staniforth St on the 1851 census, and by 1861 is living at 22 Staniforth St, I believe it was a pub called the ‘Black Boy'

Nick

That's interesting Nick as Michael's grandfather is listed as barman on the 1901 census I wonder if he worked at the "Black Boy".

I first saw that picture some years ago posted by Carl Chinn, or provided by him, on a BBC local West Mids or B'ham website, and it said it was 72 Staniforth St. - the house where the pram is - and, coincidentally, I had found out on the 1891 census that my great grandparents and their family lived at the back of 72 Staniforth st.

These photos and information were lost in the recent server crash so are restored here.
Pic 1 (also posted elsewhere on the forum) shows some very poor housing conditions. A wall plaque can be seen on a wall in the street beyond and there are suggestions that it is a war memorial and if for WW1 then the poor housing was obviously there in the early 1920s. There is nothing in this image which identifies the location but the following sequence of photos will.
Pic 1
BagotCourtPic1.JPG

Another view of the buildings and lavatory block in Pic 2, still showing very poor conditions and the edge of the wall plaque can just be seen. The original caption with the pic source suggests it is named Bagot St Court.
Pic 2
BagotCourt2.JPG

In Pic 3 below the buildings on the right have been reconditioned and the lavatory block demolished. The wall plaque can be seen and also part of an Ansells Pub. Apparently there was a project of reconditioning some slum housing in Birmingham but I have not been able to find any information about it. A close look at the memorial suggests there is a vase of flowers on it.
Pic 3
StaniforthStPic3.jpg

Another view of the the reconditioned buildings and more of the pub showing. Also a street name shows on the pub wall but is not clear in this jpg image. A low tower-like building with a conical roof can also be seen and looks to be part of the pub. The conical roof can be seen in an aerial photo on the 'britainfromabove ' web site.
Pic 4
BagotCourtPic4.jpg

With some photo editing on the original pgn file it reads Staniforth St as shown below, so the pub is the White Hart on the corner of Staniforth St/Bagot St. I've seen this confirmed on an old map but there does not appear to be any available photo of the pub. The house on the right in the previous pics backs on to Bagot St so maybe is why the court is known as 'Bagot St Court'
Pic 5
StreetnamePic5.JPG

Last edited:
This photo is taken from the other side of Staniforth St looking at Bagot St Court and a glimpse of Bagot St appears on the left. An interesting looking car parked on the right. With only half of the car visible we can only wonder what make it was and the letters 'AD' ... part of a word or initials ? The reconditioning of the housing in and around Bagot St Court looks good quality.
StaniforthPic6.JPG

I think the factory must have been Addicott & Howard at 58-59 Staniforth st. they were there in 1921-1939 which I think covers the pwriod of the picture. they are described as fender manufacturers in 1921 and hearth furniture manufacturers in 1939, which I think is the same thing.

this is a cracker...mike if you spot this post could you determine the numbers of those houses after prices please...thanks mike

staniforth street.jpg

Lyn

Kelly's puts D R Price Ltd at 16 & 17 Price Street so I would imagine the houses next door run down in sequence from 15 until they the empty site at the end of the road at the junction of Bagot Street. Though I have to say that it doesn't look quite right to me and I wonder if the photo has been flipped?

phil it does not look right to me either it looks too wide to be price st..but if you say kellys put D R PRICE in price st not not staniforth st it must be wrong caption..so have i got this correct the road running accross is bagot st? think i can just make out the name of the building...could say H PAYNE AND ELLIOT??

Last edited:
Lyn
It must be right because I've just tried to flip it back and all the signwriting was reversed.

hi phil..you would not be able to see bagot st from price st and if that is a pic of price st then it must be lancaster st running accross but having said that it still does not look like price st to me...:confused:

Back