• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Standley

Steve39uk

Of Staniforth street. Isaac Standley was my great great great great great grandad. He was born in 1777 and married sarah barlow i think. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve: My husband's grandmother was a Standley. Her name was Ellen and she was born in 1853. On the wedding cert (1872) she gave her name as Hellenor, then she was Ellen and on the 1901 census she was listed as Hilda! The family came from Gt Russell Street and Staniforth Street so I guess it's the family you're researching. You've obviously gone further back than me, I got stalled a bit because I can't find a birth certificate for Ellen/Hellenor and my husband's father always called her Mary Ellen.... even Shera couldn't find a cert and she can usually find the proverbial needle in a haystack!!
So, I'm sorry I can't help you, but you could possibly help me! You can send me a personal message if you'd rather. Thanks.

There's a birth for an Ellen Standley on freeBMD, B'ham, Dec qtr 1853.

And looking at the 1861 census, she appears to be daughter of Richard and Amelia.

There's a birth for an Ellen Standley on freeBMD, B'ham, Dec qtr 1853.

And looking at the 1861 census, she appears to be daughter of Richard and Amelia.

Thanks, we actually sent for that cert., convinced it was the right one.
Nope: Husband's Ellen's parents were Samuel and Susan or Susannah.
Thanks anyway.

Steve: My husband's grandmother was a Standley. Her name was Ellen and she was born in 1853. On the wedding cert (1872) she gave her name as Hellenor, then she was Ellen and on the 1901 census she was listed as Hilda! The family came from Gt Russell Street and Staniforth Street so I guess it's the family you're researching. You've obviously gone further back than me, I got stalled a bit because I can't find a birth certificate for Ellen/Hellenor and my husband's father always called her Mary Ellen.... even Shera couldn't find a cert and she can usually find the proverbial needle in a haystack!!
So, I'm sorry I can't help you, but you could possibly help me! You can send me a personal message if you'd rather. Thanks.

Could this be your family ?
Ellen STANLEY Baptism 28 May 1854 at Bishop Ryder. Parents Samuel & Susan STANLEY. Abode - Aston Road. Samuels's occupation Sawyer.

Could this be your family ?
Ellen STANLEY Baptism 28 May 1854 at Bishop Ryder. Parents Samuel & Susan STANLEY. Abode - Aston Road. Samuels's occupation Sawyer.

Thanks: Yes that's them. I think I'll just carry on as before, without Ellen's birth certificate. Wonder why she put "Hellenor" as her name on the marriage cert - maybe she was just trying to sound posh!

Back