• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stamford joint maker Occupation

jmadone

master brummie
1939 register list my ancestor's occupation as a "Stamford Joint Maker". I have no idea what this is and have never come across it before. Google search comes up with nothing. Do any forum members have any ideas as to what it may be?
Thanks, Jim

I don't know if this is relevant but there is a Stamford joint used for billiard cues (see image) not sure that cues came in two parts in 1939 though.

Attachments

• stamford joint.jpg
    stamford joint.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 13
I don't know if this is relevant but there is a Stamford joint used for billiard cues (see image) not sure that cues came in two parts in 1939 though.
Thanks for the replies. Not sure about the cues. The entry on the register is definitely spelled with "n" not "m".

How embarrassing., please excuse my typo.132511

The entry I am referring to is the one relating to David Hingley at numer 4 Victoia road.

I saw the note on the following line saying "sanitary pipe". I thought it referred to the person on that line. However in the 1911 census I've just discovered that his father and younger brother were involved in sanitary pipe manufacture and David himself was a brick presser at a brickworks. It does seem perhaps that a stanford joint maker was something to do with these trades especially the pipeworks.
Good knowledge from Badpenny re the brick making in Rowley Regis, I did not know that.

1939 register list my ancestor's occupation as a "Stamford Joint Maker". I have no idea what this is and have never come across it before. Google search comes up with nothing. Do any forum members have any ideas as to what it may be?
Thanks, Jim
Walter Horsted Cortis Stanford (1840-1889)
Invented the 'Stanford joint'. This consisted of a spigot cast into stoneware pipes to ensure a complete seal. These pipes were used in the sewage system.

Back