• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stags Head Pub - Summer Lane

wessex

master brummie
Stags Head Pub - Summer Lane

Not been here for years,but was passing and pleased to see it's still alive and kicking.

Attachments

• stags head (2).jpg
    stags head (2).jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 17
Wessex, Iv'e never been much of a drinker but I have always been out and about so I did see all these pubs and it's nice to see some of them are still going.

Wessex, Iv'e never been much of a drinker but I have always been out and about so I did see all these pubs and it's nice to see some of them are still going.

Well said,I took these pics a few days ago,not seen a lot of these places for years.Many have gone,but a good few are still fighting on.
If you've got any ideas about these,please feel free to add comments.Feedback makes it worth hanging out of car windows on wet evenings lol.

Played darts at The Stags Head a few times in the 1970's - unlike many Summer Lane boozers it was a nice pub with a peaceful and friendly clientele.

Big Gee

I worked at Studio Press in Lower Tower St. from 1987 to 1999.
We spent a lot of time in the Stag after work.
Also, The Barrel and The Royal George.

I worked at Studio Press in Lower Tower St. from 1987 to 1999.
We spent a lot of time in the Stag after work.
Also, The Barrel and The Royal George.

You mean this Royal George? Have you got the area/road name please,need it to post it properly.

Attachments

• Hockley Summer Lane Royal George.jpg
    Hockley Summer Lane Royal George.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 13
Blimey, this thread gets better and better...

Also played darts at The Royal George. Bit of a rogues' pub in those days, as I recall.

I drove past it last week and thought it was still open.

(I was heading for the famous Whites Ironmongers Store on Summer Lane, the last-known repository of genuine Eclipse Junior Hacksaw Blades, an absolute necessity for old-fashioned aeromodellers like me...)

Keep up the good work, Wessex. Love it!

Big Gee

Blimey, this thread gets better and better...

Also played darts at The Royal George. Bit of a rogues' pub in those days, as I recall.

I drove past it last week and thought it was still open.

(I was heading for the famous Whites Ironmongers Store on Summer Lane, the last-known repository of genuine Eclipse Junior Hacksaw Blades, an absolute necessity for old-fashioned aeromodellers like me...)

Keep up the good work, Wessex. Love it!

Big Gee

It still looks smart outside,so perhaps its not been closed long.
I have some fond memories of the place 20 years ago,it had a good trade then,plenty of life Sunday afternoon,and afters were a real treat.

the royal george has been closed for a least 15 months....the entire pub has been gutted..as has the barrel further up the road...i beleive the george is to be a restaurant and the barrel will reopen as a pub:):) of course this is only what i have heard and as usual i stand to be corrected....

Lyn:)

hi again..just one little footnote...there are only three pubs left on summer lane out of the 14 original..they are the royal george...the barrel and the stag.....there was only one however with the offical address of summer lane and that was the vine..the other thirteen pubs were all on corners and took the addresses of the side roads....

lyn:):)

Thanks Lyn,there is some good news in this.At least the George building will stay,and can be seen.The Barrel,be nice to see it back.

which pub are you on about wessex the stag or the royal george....if its the stag as far as i can remember and i pass it everytime i go to our mom and dads its neaver been closed...

lyn

which pub are you on about wessex the stag or the royal george....if its the stag as far as i can remember and i pass it everytime i go to our mom and dads its neaver been closed...

lyn

The Barrel,you mentioned it was going to re-open.

'and the barrel will reopen as a pub'

Hope I've not confused us all here :biggrin:

yep im confused:rolleyes: which one did you mean when you said you thought it was open a few weeks ago....

lyn

ahh you may well be right then..i havnt passed it for about 6 weeks..only do that when i walk from newtown row up to tower st...will go that way next week and have a look....

lyn

hi again..just one little footnote...there are only three pubs left on summer lane out of the 14 original..they are the royal george...the barrel and the stag.....there was only one however with the offical address of summer lane and that was the vine..the other thirteen pubs were all on corners and took the addresses of the side roads....

lyn:):)
hi Lyn
I believe there were originally 21 pubs in summer lane , from the Woodman on the corner of the lane and Asylum road to the salutation at the other end...close to Snow hill... it was said you are not a man until you drink half pint in every pub in a single evening... ... i know a few who could do it, at the time i was drinking a lot of the pubs had gone... in the book about Summer lane i think the Author mentions many of the pubs....

My parents had a Saturday drink in the Birmingham arms or the Green man, occasionally in Dares pub opposite the Green man.
I think my first drink down there was about 1964.... long way back when beer was beer....(*-_-*)

Back