• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Stagg Family in Rowland Street

B

beccy

Hi there, I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandad, William John Stagg born 1885 in Rowland street Aston. Anyone heard of the family, or does anyone know where Rowland street was? I know it was a back to back as his address was "back of no ..." Any info very welcome, thanks :)

it was of Lawley Street it's not on any of my maps but I located it in the 1892 Kelly's does this help

Yes thankyou very much! do you know anything about what the area was like?

:angel: As John said it was off Lawley St Ashted.
In the 1960's I did a paper round in this area of streets, a few were to homes but most were to the factories in the area.
It was very heavy industrial area close to a major railway area and goods yards.
The housing was very poor Back - to - Back housing.
If you go to this link on the forum you will see some pic's of Gem St.
https://forums.birminghamhistory.co.uk/index.php?topic=5238.0
On the Map
Red marks Rowland St
Blue marks Gem ST

Hope this is of help
Chris :angel:

Last edited:
Hi Chris, thank very much for that I'm finding this forum really useful in my search for family history! :)

Is this your Stagg family Beccy from the 1901 census

William John Stagg aged 15 living in Birmingham
John aged 12
John aged 63 a gun stocker
Joseph aged 10
William aged 38
Louisa aged 9
Sarah aged 37

Yes it is!! That is fascinating, I knew the names of my Great Grandparents and one brother but not the others. Thats brilliant thankyou :D If you know of any pictures of Rowland Street I love to see them.

Hi Chris. I've tried your link to the pictures of Gem Street a few times but it keeps saying an error has occured. Any ideas? ???

Hi beccy  ;) Just following the excellent help off Lovely Ladies, Grace :-* & Chris-Pom :-*
& guys John H+ postie,, Heh No xxx,s for them  :-[

Just a possible if,, John Stagg moved elsewhere ? There is One,, John Stagg @ 44 Havelock Road, Saltley in 1908
Thats about a mile? mile & half from Rowland,, just a maybe if you get Linking info later on O0
Cheers Gals & Guys & good luck Beccy  :angel:   John Y

Thanks John and Postie, the picture is great, although it doesn't look like the nicest place to live! It is quite possible that either young John or old John could have moved, don't know hoe I can find out though. William junior (my Great Grandpa) married Edith Margaret Blundell and they moved to Charles Henry Street then Sherlock Street then Highgate Street and finally Jakemans Walk, Balsall Heath, where my Grandpa Wilfred was born. :)

:angel: Beccy not sure why the link was not working for you (I aways try links before submitting a post).
Just tried it again and it works for me...
May be of the computer buff's can tell you why it was not working for you.

By the way I also lived in the
"Charles Henry Street, Sherlock Street, Highgate Street and finally Jakemans Walk, Balsall Heath"
area as a child, I have three pic's of that area if you need them ???

Beccy, 1881 census for your Stagg family
Dwelling: Hospital St Court 9 House 13
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
John STAGG M 43 M Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Head
Occ: Gun Stocker
Mary STAGG M 43 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
James STAGG U 23 M Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Son ((Unm))
Occ: Gun Stocker
Wm. STAGG 17 M Bham, Warwick, England(Your g/g/grandfather)
Rel: Son
Occ: Gun Finisher
Jno. STAGG 16 M Bham, Warwick, England
Occ: Brass Founder
Sarah Ann STAGG 15 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Steel Pen Maker
Robert STAGG 13 M Bham, Warwick, England
Occ: Scholar
Joseph STAGG 9 M Bham, Warwick, England
Louisa STAGG 7 F Bham, Warwick, England
Rel: Daur

William Stagg married Sarah Jennings September qtr 1885 and William John was born in the same qtr.

In 1891 William jnr is with his grandparents at 7 Hatchett Street.
John Stagg age 54 Gun Stocker
Mary age 56 b. Ireland
Robert age 23
Joseph age 19
louise age 17
grandson William age 5.

I have been unable to find Wm and Sarah on 1891.

Thanks for that guys. I would be really interested to see the pics of Jakemans walk etc area. Thanks very much for all your help :D

I have a photo of Joseph Stagg who in the Great War of 1914-18 was in the Ox & Bucks 29314 Private Joseph Stagg in 1917 he lived at 3 Court 11 Vauxhall Rd only reply if you have family connections as the Little baby on the lap of the Mother in the photo died this week and he was my mate

Hi Cromwell, I'm really sorry about your mate :( I really am not sure if it is the same Joseph Stagg, mine would have been 45 in 1917 does he look that age? I know all the family stayed in that area. There was also Joseph in the next generation who would have been 16 in 1917. I can't imagine there being many Staggs in the area as it is quite an unusual name. I would dearly love to see the picture if I could, but I understand if you don;t want to share it.

Ive been really interested looking at this thread from 2006. I am a descendent of John Stagg born 1837 and Mary via their son Robert Stagg born 1867. Beccy are you still researching them? Id be really interested to get in touch.
Gemma

Hello I wondered if the people who posted in this thread are still members. I am also researching the Staggs and would like to get in touch with anyone else who is.
Gemma

O.C. is no longer a member and Beccy has not been active since May 2006.

Hi gemma
I have recently joined the forum as researching my own family history and spotted your reply on this thread.
My wife (beccy) has not been researching her family history for some time as her uncle does it. He has done an extensive amount of research and it is all on-line on Ancestry.co.uk and I think he has also put it on familysearch
Ade

Hi gemma
I have recently joined the forum as researching my own family history and spotted your reply on this thread.
My wife (beccy) has not been researching her family history for some time as her uncle does it. He has done an extensive amount of research and it is all on-line on Ancestry.co.uk and I think he has also put it on familysearch
Ade

Hello Adrian/Gemma/Beccy
I am Paul Stagg
The Willam Stagg you are talking about is my Grandfather and his son Leonard was my father
William was married twice first to Edith and then to Elizabeth. Elizabeth was my grandmother and the mother of my father Leonard. My sister and her husband live in Boldmere Sutton Coldfield

Is this your Stagg family Beccy from the 1901 census

William John Stagg aged 15 living in Birmingham
John aged 12
John aged 63 a gun stocker
Joseph aged 10
William aged 38
Louisa aged 9
Sarah aged 37
Hi, William Stagg mentioned here is my greatgrandfather. My dad tells me that William and John were alternated each generation, leading to some confusion! My Grandfather was Robert Thomas Stagg and siblings Rose and Arthur are also yet to arrive! My grandfather was born at 36 Back Weaman Street and William was a gun burnisher/finisher, as was his wife Sarah, nee Jennings

Back